Swine flu jab?!?!?!

weggi

Reaction score
any one know the answer to this?

had a swine flu vaccine last year before my MC, and have been trying to find out if i need to have it again this year, i am an asthmatic but never have my seasonal flu jab because i always end up with flu after having it, but am a bit worried regarding swine flu as my SIL who is 5 months pregnant is currently in hospital with it at the moment and they can not tell here what effect it will have on the baby.

really don't want to have to have that jab if it going to make me ill like it normally does.

really do no t know what to do!!!!!!

Are we meant to be having the swine flu/regular flu jab if we're pregnant?? Not sure what the guidance is on this....

Every pregnant woman is being urged to get it. I got mine last week as I don't want to risk getting it and something happening to baby. Its personal choice but I'm glad I got it. Didn't feel great days after getting it but if it stops me getting the actual flu and affecting baby then its worth it. I totally understand why some women would rather not get it though x

I got it today. Really didn't want to but I feel better knowing I'm protecting me and my baby xx

I called the docs this morning and they told me they were doing them now and to pop down, so I have just got back from having it!
they said its not a live vaccine so it wont give you flu the only thing that might happen is getting the sniffles or a bit of a temperature, ehich im happy to deal with if it means me and little bean are protected :)

This is a really difficult question and it is a matter of personal choice. I have been having this dilema myself. I work for nhs (but do no have direct contact with patients) and they were giving the jab at work when I was 7 weeks pregnant. I went and asked the person administering it of it was safe toge during pregnancy. I was told it is my choice but, in order to make my decision, I should have all the available infoelation which is that the department of health recommend the jab is safe all the way through pregnancy but that the manufacturers of the vaccine recommend women in their first trimester should not have it. Based on this I chose to hold off until my second tri to get it. Then there was all this public info about how all pregnant women shoul. Get the jab asap no matter where they were in their pregnancies. And I was told at work to take extra precautions because as I am pregnant I am more susceptible to picking it up. I was soooo hygeine conscious for the last few weeks and as we share desks at work I would sanitise my whole desk, keyboard etc at the start of every shift. Then on Monday I started to feel dry throat and my head was abit sore. On Tuesday I went to work but I was feeling terrible all day. I rang in sick for the rest of the week. I spoke to my gp over the phone who was concerned about swine flu although my symptoms are not very severe she was afraid I could pick it up if I didn't already have it. So she prescribed me the swine flu drug relenza which is taken in an inhaler format so that it treats your lungs but doesn't get into your blood in high doses and so very little of it passes to the baby. She asked me if I'd had the jab and I felt guilty saying no as I thought she would think I had been irresponsible by not having it when the government have been making a big thing of all pregnant women getting it. But her response surprised me. She said "well I can understand why you didn't get it, I wouldn't have got it during first trimester either" but she did go on to say that if I did catch the swine flu strain of the flu it could actually cause miscarriage. This made me come off the phone intears I knew swine flu was serious during pregnancy but to hear her actually say the word miscarriage and say that my baby could be at risk was very scary. I am now taking the relenza and although I am slightly concerned that there has probably not been enough research to prove that it is actually safe during pregnancy, I feel like at least I should not get swine flu which can be an even bigger risk. And after I'm feeling better I will be getting the jab as next week I will be 13 weeks.

Sorry this is such a long post. I just wanted to share my experience and explain that there is no right or wrong answer but I hope you can make the best decision for you.

This is a really difficult question and it is a matter of personal choice. I have been having this dilema myself. I work for nhs (but do no have direct contact with patients) and they were giving the jab at work when I was 7 weeks pregnant. I went and asked the person administering it of it was safe toge during pregnancy. I was told it is my choice but, in order to make my decision, I should have all the available infoelation which is that the department of health recommend the jab is safe all the way through pregnancy but that the manufacturers of the vaccine recommend women in their first trimester should not have it. Based on this I chose to hold off until my second tri to get it. Then there was all this public info about how all pregnant women shoul. Get the jab asap no matter where they were in their pregnancies. And I was told at work to take extra precautions because as I am pregnant I am more susceptible to picking it up. I was soooo hygeine conscious for the last few weeks and as we share desks at work I would sanitise my whole desk, keyboard etc at the start of every shift. Then on Monday I started to feel dry throat and my head was abit sore. On Tuesday I went to work but I was feeling terrible all day. I rang in sick for the rest of the week. I spoke to my gp over the phone who was concerned about swine flu although my symptoms are not very severe she was afraid I could pick it up if I didn't already have it. So she prescribed me the swine flu drug relenza which is taken in an inhaler format so that it treats your lungs but doesn't get into your blood in high doses and so very little of it passes to the baby. She asked me if I'd had the jab and I felt guilty saying no as I thought she would think I had been irresponsible by not having it when the government have been making a big thing of all pregnant women getting it. But her response surprised me. She said "well I can understand why you didn't get it, I wouldn't have got it during first trimester either" but she did go on to say that if I did catch the swine flu strain of the flu it could actually cause miscarriage. This made me come off the phone intears I knew swine flu was serious during pregnancy but to hear her actually say the word miscarriage and say that my baby could be at risk was very scary. I am now taking the relenza and although I am slightly concerned that there has probably not been enough research to prove that it is actually safe during pregnancy, I feel like at least I should not get swine flu which can be an even bigger risk. And after I'm feeling better I will be getting the jab as next week I will be 13 weeks.

Sorry this is such a long post. I just wanted to share my experience and explain that there is no right or wrong answer but I hope you can make the best decision for you.

My doctor surgery called me just this morning asking me to come get my jag. I explained that I got it way back in October as got asthma. Glad I did it then, would hate to make that decision now...

This is all quite strange as I went to the doctor's two days ago to get a referral to a mid wife as I'm 5 weeks pregnant and the doctor didn't mention anything about having a flu jab. It seems so inconsistent with the fact that some people are getting phone calls asking them to come in to have the jab!!

i got a letter come through today from doctors saying if i want it to book a appointment for flu jab... i dont know what to do... im quite good with colds/flu's etc.. i always seem to miss them.. but now ive said that il prob catch it... i was just going to book appointment and then came on here and read things and its making me think twice!...

Im not getting it...i never get flu anyways, i dont want to put anything in my body that i dont have to x

Gosh I really don't know what to do. I spoke to the doctor today and he was adamant that I should be having it... he said there is more chance of miscarrying by getting the flu than there is by having the flu jab. However, I just feel really uncomfortable putting horrid things in to my body when my baby is still so vulnerable and growing. But then on the other hand, if I was to catch the flu I would feel just terrible at the thought of it having a detrimental effect on my baby. Sooooo difficult.

after princess losing her healthy sister to swine flu im getting it done wont risk my life

I had my flu jab today and the nurse told me that if I'd had the swine flu jab last year, I would need neither this year. Hope that helps x x x

I had the swine flu jab when I was around 7 weeks pregnant. Apart from a sore arm for a few days everything else was fine. I was very dubious about having it done but glad I did it.

This is all quite strange as I went to the doctor's two days ago to get a referral to a mid wife as I'm 5 weeks pregnant and the doctor didn't mention anything about having a flu jab. It seems so inconsistent with the fact that some people are getting phone calls asking them to come in to have the jab!!

I was the same, I went to the docs a few weeks back to get my midwife referral and she didn't even mention it. I have however been getting daily phonecalls from my mum and sister asking if I have had it yet. I called the docs and am booked in for Wednesday. With all the recent reports in the news of pregnant woman in coma's and the pregnant girl who died due to swine flu last week I'm not risking it.

my friend who is 17weeks pregnant with twins said that i should only have it in my 2nd trimester? anyone else heard that it should only be done then?... ive been on google (shouldnt have).. but its scared the life out of me.. dunno what to do for the best.

I heard that too, that's why I left it till 12 weeks
But I'd say best thing to do would be call your dice and ask them, that has to be the best way to get the right info

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back