running off,

mummytoOne23

Reaction score
my 3 nearly 4 year old will not walk holding my hand he doesnt even walk next to me he runs away, he is not scared to run so he cant see me, it scares me. if i hold his hand he sits on the floor and doesnt move, i cant carry him he is very strong for a three year old, i have a wrist strap for him but he pulls at it and it makes marks on his arms when its on, and he will also sit on the floor with it, i cannot take him anywhere. he doesnt listen at all his hearing has been tested and i can say walk dont run to him loads of times but he chooses to ignore me im stuck what to do anymore, i have tried the pushchair again but he is 4 in 9 weeks and it doesnt move when he is in it. its not built for someone of his height. he is heavy but because he is tall for his age, he isnt overweight the health visitor said he is at the right weight for his height. i cant carry on like this. we have just sorted his behaviour at school its just when we are about and about. this is really getting to me, i just need some ideas about being out and about with him

tia x

My 2 year old had a bad habit of running off recently! I took him to a place he could run freely if need be and turned it into a game. We ran together and then I'd shout stop! We'd jump to a stop and then I'd shout go and we'd run again. Then I'd shout stop and we'd stop etc etc. because it was fun he would listen to me and then when we're out and about he still listens. I also pointed out the difference in curb and pavement/road and explained we have to stop at the curb then when we're out I ask him, 'where do we stop?' And he'll show me! Hope this helps x

thank you :) we go quite alot of places where he can run freely, every half term, teacher training day we go some to some big play area. he has a fear of roads, he got hit by a car in september luckily the driver had slowed right down cos she saw him so lightly touched him, still we spent all day in a&e. i have tried the traffic lights game i say red and he stops, but recently he hasnt been stopping as long as there isnt a road he is gone! and i live in a place where the is alot of long streets with no roads to cross that go for ages! i just have a fear he will run and not get scared and dont come back. x

You can get a backpack with a strap for you to hold onto. Its a great thing. You just tell them its their own bag to carry toys or snacks and juice but you can hold the little strap meaning he can't run.
Although I love mrsR's idea of making it a game xx

Tapatalking excuse any typos!
Mummy of two, Angel mummy of one and ttc baby number 4 <3

I got a wee butterfly backpack for my 18 month old and it has a safety strap attached to it. She's a nightmare when let loose out and about and forever goes in the opposite direction of where I'm going. Although it doesn't stop her going in the opposite direction, it's a lifesaver as it'll prevent her going out of my sight or running into the road as she still doesn't understand the rules of walking/running safely yet.

The backpack ones are fab. As Simone says, you can encourage your son to put a favourite toy or snacks into it so as he wears it and then you can attach the strap when he isn't looking ;) MrsR's suggestion sounds a good idea too. I think I might try and implement that for my DD when she gets a bit older and can understand it. x

Last edited:
How about before you go out anywhere explain to your LO what's expected of him. Explain that if he doesn't listen to you we will have to come straight home and he will have time out, no pudding/treats/a certain toy/no tele etc and also say if you do listen to mummy you will get a treat. Or try a reward chart for everytime he listens to you etc

thanks everyone for your replies, i will give everything a try something has to work! :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back