Referral to RMC and management questions

lisey

Reaction score
HI all,
Just looking for some advice really. It seems that I am going through my third miscarriage as went for a follow up scan and there was nothing in the sac. I have to go back next week for confirmation :(
As soon as this is all over I am going to call dr to arrange referral to rmc. I was just wondering how long people had to wait to get seen? And did you ttc in the meantime? X

Last edited:
Hey hun, so sorry to hear :( and we had the same due date :(
Are u with epu/gynae? I asked them about referral when i was there last and theyre sending us for some tests next week. i'm taking a break from ttc for a while xxx

Hiya,
Apologies for multiple posts today. I have to go for a scan next week to confirm a missed miscarriage and I am trying to decide in advance what approach to take. I have heard people bleed for weeks with medical management so not sure I want to take that route. My last two have happened naturally.
With medical management are you put to sleep during procedure and is it an erpc they do or d&c? I am concerned about d&c as I know it can cause scar tissue to form later on. Any advice appreciated x

Hey hun, so sorry to hear :( and we had the same due date :(
Are u with epu/gynae? I asked them about referral when i was there last and theyre sending us for some tests next week. i'm taking a break from ttc for a while xxx

Its so sad isnt it :( sorry that you are going through this too. I am with epu, I will ask if they can refer then as may be quicker x

Oh fuck Lisey, I had no idea!!!

Jesus...

I am so sorry sweetie.

My Dr booked me a referral on the system whilst I was sat there, we waited about 6 weeks for the actual appointment and then 6 weeks after was the results.

We took a break from TTC, the way I saw it is if I was preggers when I had to have the tests they'd refuse to do them and if that pregnancy failed we'd be bck to square one.

After all the tests we carried on TTC and I was pregnant with James when we went back for the results.

I had a natural miscarriage with the first pregnancy, there was no mention of any intervention and it took 20 days for m/c to occur.... Upside was it I didn't have to go to hospital for treatment (I did go back for weekly scans) but of course the downside was the waiting. My life wad on hold for 3 weeks. I still went to work and stuff but it was the most bizarre time in my life.

I don't regret letting it happen naturally though, when it did I was at home and comfortable.

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I have only had natural mcs but for some reason i've been bleeding longer with this mc than with my mmc where inwas further along, this is my 11th day of bleeding. I've only preferred natural as i wouldnt like the thought of being in hospital for the day (i believe thats how long they keep u) xxx

Really sorry to hear this Hun, I don't know anything about referrals. Take care of yourself. Thinking of you x

Hiya,
Apologies for multiple posts today. I have to go for a scan next week to confirm a missed miscarriage and I am trying to decide in advance what approach to take. I have heard people bleed for weeks with medical management so not sure I want to take that route. My last two have happened naturally.
With medical management are you put to sleep during procedure and is it an erpc they do or d&c? I am concerned about d&c as I know it can cause scar tissue to form later on. Any advice appreciated x

Sorry to hear this Lisey, I hope you get better news at your next scan.

I had medical management so I can tell you a bit about my experience. Medical management is non-surgical and completely separate from an erpc/d&c, it is basically bringing on a miscarriage using drugs.

I had to take some tablets at the hospital to stop my body producing progesterone, they make you wait there for half an hour or so to check you're ok and then you can go home. Apparently for some people this is enough to bring on miscarriage. I had to go back 2 days later and was booked onto a ward all day and they inserted pessaries into my cervix to bring on contractions. I had to stay all day and unfortunately it didn't work so they let me go home after about 12 hours. You're not put to sleep at all. I was booked in for a scan 2 weeks later and was told the chances of everything being the same was very remote but unfortunately for me it was and I had a very agonizing 2 weeks going to work not knowing if I would miscarry that day. I had an erpc just under 3 weeks after the medical management and if I had the choice again would have had this straight away.

I was told that medical management works in about 80% of cases so there is a fair chance it might not work. You should be aware that you might be left for a couple of weeks like I was if it doesn't work. I chose it because I thought the risks were lower than an erpc but they go through the risks before you give your consent and I was quite disheartened to hear they were all the same ie rupture, scarring etc. My hospital wouldn't give any advice about which option to take and so I found it a very difficult decision to make with risks for all choices.

Sorry you're in this position and I hope that it doesn't come to this for you xxx

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Oh lisey I am so so sorry, lots of love to you, this is so incredibly unfair xxx

Oh my god Lisey,
I cant believe this!!
I am so so sorry, I can guess how you are feeling ...devastated and oh god...I feel for you hone....y I dont know what to say, its not fair at all.
I went erpc with both of my Mc's and I would again, quick, painless, you dont know nothing about it, minimal bleeding.
I think you go through enough emotionally that physically take the easiest option!
So ive had two and well it hasnt affected me for scarring etc.
hugs honey xxxx

I don't advise medical management
You're in hospital all day and put pessaries on to dilate and contract your cervix
I found it extremely painful and it didn't even work

I also had an erpc which apart from being a long wait at hospital due to emergencies, it was completely painless and the job was complete x

So sorry Lisey xx
I had to have medical management because I was in second trimester and I won't lie, it was horrible. I ended up having a D&C afterwards for retained placenta. If D&C would have been an option in the first place, I would have taken it, I was distraught that I had to have medical management.

Thanks so much everyone for your support and kind words. I am leaning more towards d&c/erpc as I can't bear the thoughts of waiting weeks and weeks for it to happen naturally or to have medical and it not even work. My OH is worried about me going the surgical route but he of course doesnt understand how painful medical management could be x

Also, could anyone tell me how long the recovery time is for surgical management? Can you go back to work the next day? Or is that ridiculous? I am not telling my boss the reason for time off so need to think of something. I can't tell her cos then everyone will end up finding out x

I think you should take a day or two off afterwards hun, you're emotions will be all over the place. Just tell her you're having a D&C for period troubles, lots of women have them unrelated to pregnancy.

Last edited:
Yeah I just read on nhs website that will need 2-3 days off x

Hiya,

Hey,

I had medical management last month. Too scared to have d&c as I don't like needles.

I was told to come to hosp for the tablets, and was given the option of swallowing them or having them inserted vaginally. Went with vaginally as it works faster. What they didn't tell me was it actually brings on labour. It was nothing like my previous miscarriages. I was having contractions every 2 minutes. They lasted for 40 seconds and it went on for 6 hours that I can remember. I was a bit naughty and took a double dose of naproxen so I could sleep. I woke up fine in the morning though, and passed the sac whole. Then bled like a normal period for a week.

If I knew what it was going to be like, I would have agreed to the d&c.

Take care, hope that hasn't freaked you out.

Oh, and I went home straight away. 5 mins, to put pills in, then home. They did say I couldn't drive home, and had to have an adult with me at all times that day. My husband went back to work the next day. My dad who was staying didn't even notice I had a miscarriage!

Omg Lisey just seen this thread, I'm so sorry, gutted for you. How far along were you? Is it confirmed no baby as doc told me no baby then it turned out it had just been too early to see anything at first scan.

I had a D&C and can really recommend it. You're put to sleep and when I woke up although a little crampy like a period after it apart from that I was fine. Bled a little that day but nothing major and was back to work the next day. Don't get me wrong I was pretty scared beforehand but so glad I went down that route as at least I know it's all gone and I could move on quickly and start trying again. This prob sounds really heartless but I had just been so upset and feeling so ill before procedure that it was good to feel normal again so quickly.

Good luck whatever you decide, thinking about you xxx

Hi Lisey,
Don't rush back to work hun, take sometime to get your head together over this. This is your third and after all the time it took you to fall pregnant this will hit you hard somehow, even if you feel a little numb now.
If it doesnt then you are far stronger person than me, but I just dont think that you should underestimate, emotionally what you have been through, going through and have had a really rough time of.

The hospital will sign you off for two weeks no problem, and your firm will have to pay you, they dont have to know the reasons, the hospital can simply say that you need to under go an operation which is true, you can then choose what you tell your firm be it, to with ladies things, period, endo - or nothing at ll - its your call.

Let yourself heal a bit honey, be kind to yourself, give yourself sometime.

Tell your OH that surgically it is a really simple and quick op, you will be out in an hour and home a cple of hours after, it really is very quick and easy, its emotionally the real damage is done (well if you a sensitive soul likeme , which i think you are.)

Thinking of you :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back