Really upset following Consultant 33wk Appt

mdsremos

Reaction score
I went for my diabetic clinic appointment this morning as well as growth scan and a further antenatal appointment at the hospital.
The growth scan revealed the little monkey is breech position which isnt a problem as I am having a section anways and although he is about 3 weeks ahead on his growth they are not duly concerned, I dont even feel that much bigger though which is strange.
The diabetic appointment was the usual, take the insulin 10-15mins before each meal, make sure I snack before bed to reduce the morning hypos and see you again in 2 weeks.....then came the antenatal......
I already have a date booked for section on Tuesday 30th November, 38 weeks, given my diabetes and previous history of difficult labour.. However, the appointment was made by one of the Consultants team and she is not happy!!!! She cant understand why he booked at 38 weeks and that I should understand that if I want to continue with this date then I will need to be in hospital for 2/3 days to have insulin drips and steriods for babies lungs as there is a 6-7% risk of respiratory problems following birth!!! She wants to deliver on Tuesday 7th December, 39 weeks, as respiratory risk only 1-2% but I got upset over the fact that I asked about the steroids and was told I wouldnt need them and I have everything planned around the 30th Nov inc childcare and DH time off........She has told me I have until 9th November to decide which date although I will definately need to be in longer if its 30th November which freaked me cos it means so much more strain on DH to look after our 4yr old DS but DH has said that if we stick to 30th then he will do what needs to be done!!!!!
I feel so pressured to get this right and its a mess if we change to 7th Dec cos DH struggling to get leave for that week as it is and my mum has booked leave from 8th Dec for a week to help me at home when DH is at work.....I feel so selfish to want to go ahead with 30th and know we will be in good hands at the hospital but other factors have to be taken into account as well.
Why is life so difficult to balance at times :wall2:
sorry to waffle but needed to get it out of my system and try and get me head round things!!

aww hun big hugs.. You do what you feel is right, the hospital will look after you no matter what.. Its bad that they didn't get it all right from the beginning.. Im sure everything will be fine xx

Its frustrating cos they keep saying that they class full term now as 37 weeks onwards and I know there are further risks of respiratory problems with a section cos they dont get squeezed down the birth canal but considering little one is measuring 3 weeks ahead surely means he will be able to cope when born a couple of weeks early.......were sticking with 30th November although need to sort when I will need to be in for steroids/insulin, would be better if Thurs & Fri before then come back Tues for the section otherwise will be Sun/Mon then straight into section Tuesday morning, only strain would be the Sunday for DH but will have to let my parents in on the section date so they can help out with DS.
On a selfish note, bed rest for a few days before the birth doesnt sound too bad...plenty of time to read, worry and read some more lol

im sure you and DH will cope brilliantly!! And full term is 37 weeks so i agree i wouldn't think it matters.. One thing ive been told over and over by my mw is that hospitals are hypercondriacts lol and i agree x

I think that as long as the baby is over 37 weeks it will have no problem. I have been hanging on since 25 weeks for a planned section as we just see how the baby is growing on a weekly scan then my consultant looks at the scan details and decides whether to let me carry for another week. i had steriod injections at 26 weeks incase they had to deliver but was told at 30 weeks the babys lungs would be strong enough if it was born then xx

Ahh hun what a day of mixed messages, thought it might be good to tell you about my babies , just so you can see what they mean and why their being a pain to get some balance.

I have had 3 elective sections due to prev op's so not my choice.

I had first at 38 weeks, he had wet lungs or grunting (which is the respiratory issue they are talking about) Straight to scbu, I was left looking at polaroid for days, Didn;t gnet to hold him till day 3 , wher I prompty burst into tears ! He stayed in for 2 weeks in scbu despite being a fat 6lb 11 oz, and I came home at a week without him, mwhich I found hard, and then had trouble getting back to hosp to camp out on a daily basis

I had second at near 39 weeks, 7lb 2 oz and he was fine, was a pleasure to have in hosp, no problems at all, other than slight antibodies in him, no real prob, came home 4 days later.

Had third at 37 plus 5, and she was 5lb 15 oz (small for dates), and again she had wet lungs , grunting, off to scbu after 3 hours and stayed 3 days, then back on ward for tube feeding and UV lights for antibodies effect.

Now I am having this one past 39 weeks, not from choice actually, the consultant prefers to do them at 39 weeks, so any easy option for me as no descision to make like you. I can't go doing the detatched baby thing again. I didnt try breastfeeding with my middle son, I was put off by first experiance with first born trying to establish feeding in scbu to get home (bottle was a quicker exit basically).

I am worried I may go into labour while waiting for section, but feel that 39 weeks is better for me, and wish that more infomation had been made available to me before my sections to prepare for the possible chance of wet lungs, when the surfactant is not squeezed out via the travel down the birth canal.

I am not syaing all this to make you feel bad, or choose later , I just wanted to share so you had more info Hun so please don't take it the wrong way.

I am all fingers crossed for a smooth , problem free elective section this time, followed by dream breastfeeding and no scbu - wish me luck X

Good luck with your descision, what ever you choose, you could get wet lungs no doubt at 42 weeks, so nothing is a for granted whichever you decide X

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight JJ Mum, can I ask whether you had the steroid injections before each section? If not, would it have made any difference to the lung problem?

Thanks for the insight JJ Mum, can I ask whether you had the steroid injections before each section? If not, would it have made any difference to the lung problem?

Of course you can ask hun, I did actually have two steroid ones in my bum (ouch they hurt) with the first baby a few days I think it was, before section booked as he was unplanned, and they thought small for dates again, and they had to guess the due date so gave me them just incase.

Not with any of the others, don't know what diff they made to be honest, but he did have wet lungs. it is really all a gamble, but my consutant this time, did make a point of telling me about the drop in percentage from 38 to 38 weeks gestation. I can't remember exactly but I think he said 50 % of babies at 38 weeks get it, compared with 25% at 39 weeks. (don't count me on those rates, It was about 6 weeks ago!):whistle: I guess may be worth asking more questions , or getting them to run it buy you again at your next appointment X

Oh and I have never asked if a babys size at birth helps or makes a difference, as mine are usually middleish to smaller under or around 7lb ish

Last edited:
just found a good site explaining it, http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/lungs/ttn.html

says small for dates babies more likely , so that could have been my problem hun, but still lists sections as a reason too , and says term babies have this prob too, might help you

Just go with your heart, you hav your date, prob just a luck thing, i will have fingers crossed for you and me X

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back