Raspberry Leaf Tea and Oil Of Evening Primrose?

Countrybumpkin

Reaction score
I know we have had thread along the same lines before, but when in the third trimester can you start taking Raspberry Leaf Tea and Oil Of Evening Primrose? What sort of doses and what can you increase it too??

Also what are the benifits meant to be??

Raspberry Leaf and Evening Primrose
NOTE: Evening Primrose should NOT be used throughout pregnancy.

Red raspberry leaf tea has been used for thousands of years as a uterine tonic. Its use strengthens and tones the reproductive organs but does not stimulate uterine contractions, making it safe for use throughout pregnancy. Evening primrose, however, definitely plays a role in labor induction, as I have seen with women who use it as a vaginal suppository to soften the cervix and "get things going" during the last days of their pregnancies (do not insert anything into your vagina if your membranes have already ruptured, though!) Both herbs are safe and gentle to women when used with wisdom during pregnancy - red raspberry throughout, and primrose oil at the very end when both mother and baby are prepared for birth.

After 38 weeks of pregnancy, a recommended dosage of 2,500 mg tablets per day of evening primrose oil is taken orally to systemically soften all tissues (including cervix and perineum, especially if cervical scarring or previous perineal injury exists) along with 1 cup of red raspberry leaf tea from 28 weeks, increasing red raspberry leaf tea to 2 cups from 32 weeks and then increasing the dosage of red raspberry leaf tea to 3 cups from 36 weeks gestation, then as needed in labor to strengthen and tone the uterus.

Reprinted from Midwifery Today E-News (Vol 2 Issue 4, Jan 28, 2000)
To subscribe to the E-News write: [email protected]
For all other matters contact Midwifery Today:
P.O. Box 2672-940, Eugene OR 97402
541-344-7438
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 541-344-7438 end_of_the_skype_highlighting, [email protected], Midwifery Today

This site recommends that if taking Raspberry Leaf in Tablet form, the dosage should be 2 x 400mg tablets daily from 32 weeks.

Might be a stupid question but does the raspberry leaf only come in 'tea' form or can you get tablets? I am very fussy about what I drink :)

Ooh we posted together and that answered my question!

Ooh we posted together and that answered my question!

:lol:

i get the impression you would have to be constantly drinking the tea to be getting the benefit.

used it with my first pregnancy in tea form as i dont mind herbal teas, but they not for everyone.

only thing with the tabs is to take them with something to eat, they can repeat on you a bit lol xx

the RLT i bought in holland and barret and its in capsules but you can open the capsules and mix with hot water if you prefer to drink it as a tea. however i dont like the sound of it so i just take the capsules. I take 2 a day x400 and i take 2 EPO a day x 1000 (how ever i started with 2 a day x500) I dont insert them as i found mine just made my bed sheets (and me) all oily and i kept waking up thinking it was my water that was going x

Is holland and barratt the cheapest place to get the RLT capsules? x x

I was going to ask the midwife about these tomorrow so this is very helpful!

So, you don't have to insert the EPO capsules - you can just take them orally from 38 weeks. I'll do that then!

if you shop around ebay you can get them cheaper with free p+p

i keep forgetting to take my tabs :roll:

im not to good taking them either but most days i remember haha

i think im gona get some of the rasberry leaf tea stufs, iv got the EPO that im looking forward to startin, sad as that is, lol
xxx

I used the RLT tea bags when I was pregnant

32 - 34 weeks = 1 cup a day
34 - 36 weeks = 2 cups a day
36 - 38 weeks = 3 cups a day
38 - 40 weeks = 4 cups a day

(I had my DD at 39+6 so didn't take over 40 weeks)

and its honestly not as bad as you think. I LOVED the taste of it hot like a normal cuppa with 2 sugars. Yum...You can drink it cold aswell. I will definitely be using RLT in my next pregnancy without a doubt...DD was my first..She was 8lb 2oz..4 hours in labour...Whether it was something to do with the RLT or not I don't know but I won't be taking any chances next time round...I'll be stocking up without fail!!

do u think this would be useful as a sticky as there is always a thread about this when to start and what to stat taking???

I asked my midwife about RLT today and she said not to start it until 37 weeks...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back