Question about sure start?

Rachey

Reaction score
Got letter in today.. we don't get it :(

We don't get tax credits just now but will when baby comes. On the letter it says that we don't get the grant because we don't recieve 'working tax credit which includes a disability or severe disability element' or 'child tax credit being paid at a higher rate than the appropriate maximum family element'

Does that mean we still won't get it when we are receiving tax credits after baby is born? I don't understand it really :eh:

xxx

im in the same position hunni and tbh im still not quite sure... but i was told that everyone gets it paid at a higher rate at the beginning anyway... but dont hold me to it

as soon as you have your tax credit award through after having the baby re apply for it hun

Id be interested in this too as a friend told me if u wait til ur on rock bottom pennies as in stat mat pay u csn apply, that will be Aug for me even tho bubs due next month but u can apply backdated i think?x

you only have up to 3 months after the baby is born

you have to apply within 3 months of baby arriving
ive not got long left now! need to get my arse in gear and get my credits sorted!

I plan to apply when I go onto stat mat pay 2 months after shes due. How long do they take to decide tho? by the time they reply will I be too late to apply for the grant?x

u dnt get it if u have a child already i dont think.. Ive been arguing with a woman on the phone today... Im very much one for each to their own when it comes to working and stuff u know i think u make the life u wanna have but.... Im pregnant with my 2nd have worked since leaving high school and have now been self employed for the last 2 years am only getting £67 a week plus my child benefit that a maternity allowance obviously i dnt have an employer to pay me maternity money and then there is my close friend who doesnt work hasnt since ive known her ( 3 years+ ) who has grants/ budgeting loans falling out her arse. its mad the way they work things ..its like its different for every1 ::(

it could do tax credits can take ages to come through it took 8 weeks once for me :(

u dnt get it if u have a child already i dont think.. Ive been arguing with a woman on the phone today... Im very much one for each to their own when it comes to working and stuff u know i think u make the life u wanna have but.... Im pregnant with my 2nd have worked since leaving high school and have now been self employed for the last 2 years am only getting £67 a week plus my child benefit that a maternity allowance obviously i dnt have an employer to pay me maternity money and then there is my close friend who doesnt work hasnt since ive known her ( 3 years+ ) who has grants/ budgeting loans falling out her arse. its mad the way they work things ..its like its different for every1 ::(

she will only get 1 grant hun and thats only if she has no other children and as for budgeting loans she will have the money taken off her beneifit so she has to pay that back

Anyone know what determines whether u get the Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element or not?x

as soon as you have your tax credit award through after having the baby re apply for it hun

thanks hun, will need to remember to do it then! hopefully the tax credits don't take too long to come through x

Anyone know what determines whether u get the Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element or not?x

setdse said she was told everyone gets paid child tax credit at a rate higher than the family element at first.. i'd heard that too, someone told me that the way it works out everyone should be entitled to it when its your first baby unless you earn over 40k or something.. not quite sure how it all works! it confuses me :( lol

Last edited:
Its a pain in the arse isnt it? I wonder if thats previous years income or current as last year we were slightly over the threshold but this year will be nowhere near!x

i got a letter saying we arent entitled to. we are on working tax credits but not with a disability.

i think its so wrong that they are discriminating against people without disability as if you get working tax credits that shows you are on a low income. hense why you need the grant.

im just gonna wait until after baby is here. my sil applied and got it after bubs arrived and they get quite alot of money anyway. xxx

i got a letter saying we arent entitled to. we are on working tax credits but not with a disability.

i think its so wrong that they are discriminating against people without disability as if you get working tax credits that shows you are on a low income. hense why you need the grant.

im just gonna wait until after baby is here. my sil applied and got it after bubs arrived and they get quite alot of money anyway. xxx

yeah it doesn't seem fair atall how it works, if your on a low income then your on a low income, the disability part shouldn't matter. seems daft that they can't give people it before babys here(when they know they will be entitled to it after babys here anyway) cause im sure theres alot of people will need the money before their babies come to buy a cot, pram etc.. we're just lucky that we started early and spread the cost of everything out xxx

we are the same. luckily for us i got a bonus a couple of months ago from work. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back