Private?

laurat

Reaction score
So I have a close friend who is a dr and he asked me today about how everything is going ttc. He knows all about my mc and things and is very supportive. I was very honest and open and basically let it all out about how upset and frustrated I am with my situation. I feel that my mc has to have something to do with my lack of ovulation in since December. He works for the NHS and is a firm believer in it but he had had a few drinks and the truth kind of came out. He said that there are so many constraints and procedures involved with the NHS and badically said that he would recommend I go for at least one private appointment. This was a bit of an unusual one for me as I didnt expect it from him. He has a friend who could get me an appointment. Just now a bit confused. Were not in the position of being very wealthy but could afford at least one consultation. Was wondering what peoles opinions are really?

I don't know what to suggest. We got some private tests when nothing was happening, but then we got our NHS referral and the private tests sort of fell to the wayside because we suddenly had loads of NHS ones to do and they feel more 'real' because there's no way we can afford private treatment. It feels like we wasted our money on it.

But on the other hand there's ladies on here who've had great success with private...but I think they've had treatment as well as a consultation...

I can't say enough good things about going private other than the cost, my bill including a hysteroscopy and septum resection and now Clomid is getting close to 6K, it makes me cross when I think we already pay so much tax and when I think what else we could have done with the money but really it's been worth it because the NHS were stressing me out massively!

The only part of the NHS that has been great has been my GP, they were aware and just as frustrated as me I guess at how I wasn't getting and support/answers from the referrals at the hospital and they did all the bloods they could for me to rule out possible causes of M/Cs.

I really feel either a Hysteroscopy or a 3D scan would help you, Nurse 26 had a 3D scan privately and I think it cost around £1000.

What you could do if you go private is if your doc requests and blood tests then ask your GP to do them, my Private doc sends a copy of all my letters about my treatment to my GP so yours would definitely know what's going on.

I worry that the NHS just go through the same procedure of wait a year of trying, then give Clomid and then IUIs then IVF, it annoys me that they seem to give Clomid to people without investigating any underlying causes, Clomid is no miracle drug and can make a lot of situations worse, it's just cheap and makes patients happy because they believe it's going to work miracles!

How many Clomid BFPs have there been on here??

xx

Hi Laura, not sure about this one, even though the nhs frustrates the hell outta me I still believe in it and can't imagine living somewhere like the us where you have to pay for things like fertility treatment. That said I've been so desperate at times I've considered getting myself into debt just to speed things up! But obv I would never do that, I'm not that daft and hubby would kill me! If your friend can get you an appt then good but as you say there might not be much point as you wouldn't be able to afford the treatment, like most of us.

I have to say when I read all you ladies situations it seems my nhs acu is the worst out the lot, with a 16 month waiting list for iui and a 24 month waiting list for ivf! Or maybe I just have a chip on my shoulder! It doesn't help that I feel like clock ticking, started trying when I was 30 and will be 34 by the time I'm eligible for ivf! V annoying.

Sorry I kinda went on a tangent there lol x. Ultimately its your decision chick, let us know what you decide Xxx

Thanks for your replies girls. Ive thought about it quite a bit and its just not feasible at the moment. Weve just moved into a new house so no savings etc. Imnot willing to get myself into lots of debt as that would stress me out. Im going to have to trust in the nhs at the moment. Ive got a scan tomorrow then my next fertility appointment on Fri. Im just going to be quite insistent I think that Im looking for a cause of my non ovulation now. I think I have to fond this out or the problem cant be solved. If only money wasnt an issue though I woyld be right at the private hospital!

I hope you get some answers soon hunni x c

Sent from my AWESOME iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hiya Laura :)

I would agree with your friend that it's worth getting at least one private appointment.

I remember leaving my first private appointment just thinking how everything was clarified and laid out instead of the Nhs consultant who was guarded with what he told me because he was unwilling - or unable - to progress with more than one diagnostic at a time.

I'm sorry it not something you can afford at the moment, but might be something you can save towards xx

Hi Lauret,

I agree with Louise about the private tests. My hubby and I have all our first tests done privately. (Well hubby has had 2 samples done the NHS and 1 private) We have done this so that we know right now if there are any issues and we can take all our private results to the NHS appointments in the hope that we can get referred on as soon as possible. Plus it arms us with the knowledge we need before we get there. Our money is tight as well (we certainly canot afford IVF privately) but I think for the scans, the semen sample the AMH blood tests the HSG and our first Consultation all private at Harley Street it all come to £650/£700. A lot of money I know but I feel much better now I have the ball rolling and my first app on the NHS is on 13 December. I will let you know if the NHS tell us the same thing or not!!!

Love Gizzy xxxx

Hey hun, as maybe said i decided to go for a private 3D scan as was getting no where with the NHS and my consultant wouldnt believe there was anything wrong, it cost £495, and found as i thought i had some scarring from previous surgery, luckily i got pregnant again and this seems to have solved the problem, the small band of scarring i had seems to have broken down by the growing baby.

I have to say i would go private again if i needed to as its FAR less stressful than dealing with the NHS.

xx

Thanks girls, i had my scan appointment today to check why the provera didnt work and its as I thought I dont have enough lining. Ive to start the 100mg of clomid today then get a scan on cd 12. Im going to go with this just now and pray it works and if it doesnt intO the new year seriously consider the private option. After Christmas. I have had lots of tests and the hsg and all hubbies stuff on the nhs which has been good I guess.

keep an eye on groupon - I got our tests on there for cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back