I spoke too soon - UPDATE

LouiseB

Reaction score
So, as it turned out i had been misinformed yesterday and i could actually see a consultant instead of havign a scan.

I wish i hadn't though...

He seemed nice at first as he was talking through our results to date.

Then i gave him my private scan results and he started asking about why we'd seen a private consultant and he seemed to want clarification on if we was having private treatment or having Nhs.

Bloody cheek him wanting clarification after the endless stream of tests we've been put through!

We explained we were hoping for him to refer us to the other clinic and he said that we haven't exhausted the diagnositics yet and if we wanted Nhs treatment we should stick with the Nhs for them.

So i said that the private consultant said we just needed the funding in place and he said "Well, all Nhs funding has to go through me, not him".

Then he pointed out that the bloodtest we had done at the private appointment would let us know if we could use hubbys sperm at all!

Something about his results being so low and unexplained so far that it might be hormonal (yet another test we have to have done) which means they might try to give him hormone therapy and send us back to ttc OR genetic and then we can't even use hubbys sperm for ICSI :cry:

So, our next appointment with him is in 3 months! :wall2:

Then he said 10 weeks wait before funding :wall2: So 5-6 months before nhs funding at the earliest :cry:

So, we can still go private i guess, but we still have a 10 week wait according to the nhs doctor for the genetic tests but the private doctor didn't mention that...

I'm so f'in fuming and pretty scared too - what if they say we can't use hubby's sperm... i don't want some random wankers little sprog, i want my hubby's :cry:

Last edited:
Ahhh man Louise that sucks!

If I win the lottery I'll sort you out so you can go private - the NHS are dog sh1t... x

So, as it turned out i had been misinformed yesterday and i could actually see a consultant instead of havign a scan.

I wish i hadn't though...

He seemed nice at first as he was talking through our results to date.

Then i gave him my private scan results and he started asking about why we'd seen a private consultant and he seemed to want clarification on if we was having private treatment or having Nhs.

Bloody cheek him wanting clarification after the endless stream of tests we've been put through!

We explained we were hoping for him to refer us to the other clinic and he said that we haven't exhausted the diagnositics yet and if we wanted Nhs treatment we should stick with the Nhs for them.

So i said that the private consultant said we just needed the funding in place and he said "Well, all Nhs funding hasd to go through me, not him".

Then he pointed out that the bloodtest we had done at the private appointment would let us know if we could use hubbys sperm at all!

Something about his results being so low and unexplained so far that it might be hormonal (yet another test we have to have done) which means they might try to give him hormone therapy and send us back to ttc OR genetic and then we can't even use hubbys sperm for ICSI :cry:

So, our next appointment with him is in 3 months! :wall2:

Then he said 10 weeks wait before funding :wall2: So 5-6 months before nhs funding at the earliest :cry:

So, we can still go private i guess, but we still have a 10 week wait according to the nhs doctor for the genetic tests but the private doctor didn't mention that...

I'm so f'in fuming and pretty scared too - what if they say we can't use hubby's sperm... i don't want some random wankers little sprog, i want my hubby's :cry:

Oh I'm so sorry Louise B!

Fuck the NHS! Just go private, did you speak to the private consultant today? Did he say you needed the extra tests too?

I hope you're ok though, don't lose hope if anyone one can get through this you can and you never know, you might just have been misinformed again like yesterday, they seem good at that!

xx

lol, aw thanks Jen :love:

I just phoned the private clinic and they seem as confused about what he told as what we are... They seem to think it will be 10 working days for the results, not 10-16 weeks.

I find it hard to talk to people on the phone when i'm stressed, i have to try really hard not to start wailing down the phone and getting upset.

They are phoning me back.

Fuck the NHS! Just go private, did you speak to the private consultant today? Did he say you needed the extra tests too?

Thanks Maybe, i'm just so angry :mad:

Yeah, phone the private clinic and waiting for a call back.

I'm mad so you must be super mad!!

Hope you get sorted.

xx

OMG I hate the f**king NHS sometimes!!

I ended up going private for some diagnostics tests years ago for bowel troubles as my GP kept on going on about how I was young and I had nothing wrong with me. Then he lied saying he had done a referral when he hadn't! I was very young and naive then, wouldn't take that crap again! I ended up having a private consultation with BUPA and the consultant I saw also worked in the NHS so he tool me under his NHS list. It was further to travel but well worth it as tests started within 2 weeks of the consultation. He felt so sorry for me that he never charged me for my private consultation! He could tell I was so worried as I had lost lots of weight very quickly.

I would say if you could afford private then I would go down that route, more competitive market and plus as you are paying for direct for the service you get a better chance of a superior service and if not its easier to kick them up the arse!

Oh god louise! :wall: I am so sorry that you are facing this setback, it just sounds like they couldn't give a shit doesn't it? I really hope you get some clarity from the private clinic and I would agree with the others that maybe you should go private if you can afford to. But at the same time, you pay your national insurance money and taxes, so why the hell should you even have to go private! OMG you must be so angry, I feel so cross for you :-(
I hope you get some answers very soon hun :hug: xxx

Oh crappity crap crap.

So i got my call back...

Apparently when the private consultant told me it would take 2 weeks for funding, that was without taking into consideration which area i live in.

The Nhs consultant was indeed correct that everything has to go through him in my area, whereas in other areas they will give funding based on any consultant finding it is valid.

The Nhs consultant was also correct that it would take a long time to get the results back - 6 to 8 weeks on average.

This was not mentioned by the private consultant either...

So, all in all, the private consultant was at fault for getting my hopes up but the Nhs consultant is at fault for pooping on my parade :(

All in all, privately i'm waiting until May at the earliest for treatment and on the Nhs i'm probably waiting for August for treatment.

The lady i spoke to was very nice, but she did imply that maybe i was being a bit impatient in the kindest possible way. BITCH! :oooo:

My life without babies is starting to feel a bit like a prison sentence and i just got given another 3 month hard time :cry:

:hug: :hug: :hug: just goes to show then that even private clinic's can give you false hope. I dunno what to say mrs :-(
Just keeping everything crossed that you get a sticky bean naturally in the meantime :clover:

As for the lady from the private clinic, it's not her who is having to play the waiting game is it!! :hug:

oh louise, i'm so sorry, how frustrating for you. its really upsetting reading this. if anyone ever has any doubts about how hard it is for people to conceive and the difficult times they go through, this proves its no funfair! i'm really sorry about that.

do you know if you are going to go for may and private or august and nhs!? and that postcode lottery yet again - the nhs have to do something about it! how can ur luck come down to a postcode, awful!! i hope you are ok xxx

Why can you never get a straight answer from anyone???!!! Bloody Doctors.......:wall2:

Must be so frustrating for you :hugs:

:( a-holes! Not sure what to say Lou, I'm gutted for you and annoyed that they got your hopes up on Tuesday! It's so unfair. Big hugs xxxx

I'm so sorry louise! This must be so frustrating for you. :-(
X

Thanks for the support ladies, it' means a lot to be able to get it off my chest :hug:

do you know if you are going to go for may and private or august and nhs!?

Right now we are thinking private and that is simply because we don't trust that the Nhs will actually try to stick to what they have said and that we might in fact be waiting longer.

However, by the time May comes around another couple of months might not seem so far away if the Nhs consultant is positive about our progression to being treated.

I really don't know.

I've actually been looking at Russian adoption just in case :)

Oh no louise! i'm so sorry to read this, stupid F***ing NHS, TBH i think its all about money saving, having worked for the NHS myself i know what they are like, private is looking the better option.

xx

Oh crappity crap crap.

So i got my call back...

Apparently when the private consultant told me it would take 2 weeks for funding, that was without taking into consideration which area i live in.

The Nhs consultant was indeed correct that everything has to go through him in my area, whereas in other areas they will give funding based on any consultant finding it is valid.

The Nhs consultant was also correct that it would take a long time to get the results back - 6 to 8 weeks on average.

This was not mentioned by the private consultant either...

So, all in all, the private consultant was at fault for getting my hopes up but the Nhs consultant is at fault for pooping on my parade :(

All in all, privately i'm waiting until May at the earliest for treatment and on the Nhs i'm probably waiting for August for treatment.

The lady i spoke to was very nice, but she did imply that maybe i was being a bit impatient in the kindest possible way. BITCH! :oooo:

My life without babies is starting to feel a bit like a prison sentence and i just got given another 3 month hard time :cry:

What a BITCH! What does SHE know about waiting and patience? I have so many friends that tell me not to think of it, but they just dont get it!

You just got to hang in there! And remember, if you want to chat, Im here!

huge hugs

What crappy news :-( How dare anyone tell or even imply you're being impatient!!

Hang in there Louise Xx

Oh Louise, you must be so frustrated, I really sorry. Not meaning to be rude but (from what you have said in other posts) it seems like you can afford the private route so I would personally just go down that way and stop banging your head against a brick wall. I know how frustrating the endless waiting is and what it does to your physical and mental health. I hope someone can give you a proper timescale soon and stick to the bloody thing.

Hey Binzy :)

Yes, we can afford to go private but it's trying to juggle what we are entitled to vs timescale.

It is driving me mad, but i keep thinking that *if* the nhs keep to the timescale, that it'd only be another couple of months and would save £5k.

If i felt that the nhs might delay us further then i'd definately cough up the money.

I think we are going to see what the results say and what the response is from the nhs regarding them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back