pregnant lady fined for using mother and baby space

Minxy said:
lou said:
I voted she was right to be fined. If she is capable of walking around the supermarket then she is capable of walking across a car park to get to the supermarket.

It's not the walking though is it? It's the getting in an out of the car. Even if you park in a big bay you can guarantee on your return some numpty will have parked two inches away. It's a mobility issue.

You can't expect someone to just 'not go shopping' for the last couple of months of pregnancy, even if you're still feeling healthy enough to walk for miles, as I did. I don't consider myself above the law (not that there IS one concerning these things) but I wouldn't think twice about parking in a M+B when heavily pregnant.

Ok so its not the walking. Apologies to you and Paradysso, I thought it was the walking and it obviously isn't. So if its a mobility issue, ie not being able to fit between 'normal' parking bay spaces then I don't know what I would do in that situation tbh? And I don't expect someone not to go shopping but to be fair if its that much of a struggle then I'd look for ways round it. Its just my opinion though. We're all different aren't we :wink:

I must say girls this thread feels a bit touchy :talkhand:

:lol:

lou said:
Minxy said:
lou said:
I voted she was right to be fined. If she is capable of walking around the supermarket then she is capable of walking across a car park to get to the supermarket.

It's not the walking though is it? It's the getting in an out of the car. Even if you park in a big bay you can guarantee on your return some numpty will have parked two inches away. It's a mobility issue.

You can't expect someone to just 'not go shopping' for the last couple of months of pregnancy, even if you're still feeling healthy enough to walk for miles, as I did. I don't consider myself above the law (not that there IS one concerning these things) but I wouldn't think twice about parking in a M+B when heavily pregnant.

Ok so its not the walking. Apologies to you and Paradysso, I thought it was the walking and it obviously isn't. So if its a mobility issue, ie not being able to fit between 'normal' parking bay spaces then I don't know what I would do in that situation tbh? And I don't expect someone not to go shopping but to be fair if its that much of a struggle then I'd look for ways round it. Its just my opinion though. We're all different aren't we :wink:

like someone else said though.. if it's not the walking then why not park in part of car parks where there are no other cars and walk into the supermarket from there?

By the way I would probably totally be disagreeing with myself right now if I was still heavily pregnant! but i'm not so there lol

I can only speak for myself: I manage to get out of the car pretty well and I'm almost 39 weeks pregnant! :D
but that's me. I guess other people need more space. I don't think she should have used the space, because someone who really needed it (a mum with a buggy) could have benefited from it. However I think she should recieved more sympathy instead of a fine, maybe a warning. :roll:

lou said:

Not at all, I love sharing opinions :lol:

And TBH, my reply was aimed at all who were for the fine, you were just 'lucky' enough to be the last response as I was posting :wink:

Sweetcheeks24, my local supermarket always has a busy car park and when we would park at a distance someone would be really close when we got back.

Anyone else think there's a market for 'don't park too close, I'm pregnant and need the space to get out the car' signs? :think:

i think solution would be what someone mentioned earlier.... car parking spaces in general need to be made wider? mind it still wouldnt stop some idiot drivers from parking really close to your car though. :x

girls.. i think we should run for goverment... we would fix all the UK's problems between us :lol:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
i think solution would be what someone mentioned earlier.... car parking spaces in general need to be made wider? mind it still wouldnt stop some idiot drivers from parking really close to your car though. :x

girls.. i think we should run for goverment... we would fix all the UK's problems between us :lol:

Well not surprising really god knows where the tax money goes, pot holes in the roads, rubbish parking, I dont know ya canneee win ;)

xx

tesco are crap... surely u can park there..... they state if you join their baby club.. they send u a special permit to park nearer to the store... i signed up over 5 months ago and still haven't received this.......

my tesco is crap as they also allow parking for free for people who shop in town as long as their no longer then 2 hours, its a nightmare trying to find any parking space.

if i was to drive an hour to the huge supermarket theres lot of parking, but all my food would melt time i got home lol

with my sciatica i have to have the door wide open to be able to get out in a way thats not putting more pressure and pain on my back, i just find it impossible to get out in a narrow parking space, all parking spaces should be made bigger as cars seem to be getting bigger, or make all cars have sliding doors.

i understood the mother parking to be more space for mum to get child out of car, not the whole car seat or to fit buggy down the side of car? as normally u take baby to trolley and put them in that to go shopping?

mayday said:
I have noticed that when you go to the supermarket, if you look at the back of the car park miles away from the shop there are usually lots of spaces. So if it's not about the walking why are people getting so het up about whether pregnant women should be alllowed to use the parking spaces reserved for mother and child which usually happen to be right next to the shop door? You can get the space you need by just parking a bit further away. My husband was desperate to park in the mother and child spaces when I was heavily pregnant and I wouldn't let him. Not that we went to the shops much - as I have said - online shopping rocks!

Absolutely agree! If I cant get in a parent & child space I park at the back of the car park where there's nearly always spaces. I went to town a couple of weeks ago and parked on the top level of the multi storey in the middle of a gap of at least 5 spaces with loads more empty on the level. Some pr1ck drove up then parked right next to me as I was getting eefie out of the same side. If looks could kill he's be 6ft under! Of all the spaces he could have had and the stupid man parked right next to me!!! :doh:

Oh and Tesco, I really think it should be under 7's not under 5's as 5 year olds dont have the road sense so you dont want to be dragging them across a busy car park.

SarahH said:
I had SPD and had cruthces but I still didnt use those spaces!

damn there goes my place in heaven then

The council got back to me and said the council owned car parks are courtesy places at the moment so basically nothing is enforceable however he said he would clarify and look into their ability to enforce the bays so that they only get used by those they are designed to help.

The disabled places are enforceable with a fine and EVERYBODY knows this is the case so most wont risk it, I think the same should be brought in for parent & child. Maybe you could be issued a badge when you register the birth and renew it each year until the child is 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back