P@@sed off with boots!

I had no problem getting my hooters out anywhere, if she'd have said that to me I think I'd have lamped her!

The whole bf thing is just another health initiative, we have lots of them and that's what governments do.
Yes their are a lot of ladies who don't bf for medical reasons but there are thousands who chose not to.
Now that to me is their choice but the government doesn't see it that way.
The uk has one of the lowest bf rates in Europe and the government is trying to change this the best it can.
I actually think that the government should spend more money on educating women and providing services to support bf rather than making ff more difficult but that's just my opinion.
I do wish our nation would bf more though but that's another thread ;) xx

On the TV babies are always bottle fed which I think doesn't help the governments case, they want people to bf and not ff, surely it'll be more effective to make it the norm on tv shows, in images etc not tell businesses not to offer discounts and milk? (only exception I can think of and I'm sure there are more but is friends, when Carol has Ben there is a whole episode on her bfing and Ross trying the milk.)

I agree, bf should be shown more on tv, it's a shame that in 2012 they don't show more of it x

I had no problem getting my hooters out anywhere, if she'd have said that to me I think I'd have lamped her!

The whole bf thing is just another health initiative, we have lots of them and that's what governments do.
Yes their are a lot of ladies who don't bf for medical reasons but there are thousands who chose not to.
Now that to me is their choice but the government doesn't see it that way.
The uk has one of the lowest bf rates in Europe and the government is trying to change this the best it can.
I actually think that the government should spend more money on educating women and providing services to support bf rather than making ff more difficult but that's just my opinion.
I do wish our nation would bf more though but that's another thread ;) xx
It was her child who saved her. I am not buying anything thats called hooter hiders!

I agree with you, they should spend money on supporting BF rather than making FF look bad,they make it look like its the worst thing ever and then mums who cant feel very guilty. Doesnt really stop ones who choose.

I remember still how difficult it was in the beginning and there was no one to help. I went round to my friend's to help her with the latch as she was struggling and HV told her the latch was right. Well, it wasnt and we sorted it and she is still BFing. But health professionals werent there or werent qualified enough

When I decided to bf the twins I didn't get the support I thought I would. In fact, some mw went out of their way to tell me how hard it would be and actually tried to put me off!
I knew it would be hard at first but I expected some bloody support.
I found a bf support group eventually and luckily I'd bf two babies previously. If I was a first time mum at that point I'm sure I'd have not tried to bf! xx

I was going to write a huge post about bf but then thought there is no point, it won't change any ones mind, or prove anything. I don't feel hard done by for not getting brownie/advantage card points for bf, I did what I needed to do.

Going back to "friends" Rachel tried bf as well in hospital :) in fact I think it's only friends where I've seen it.

Sent from my beautiful iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I think everyone should try bf as it is best for sure! Unless obv they can't due to medication etc! I am glad I tried cos I can't regret not trying iykwim.

I think everyone should try bf as it is best for sure! Unless obv they can't due to medication etc! I am glad I tried cos I can't regret not trying iykwim.
But there is also guilt placed on you if you use formula.I couldnt exclusively BF as didnt have enough milk and I kept weighing him every week, it was so stressful and they were giving me conflicting advice and in the end it didnt work but they were putting pressure on me although my baby was screaming with hunger.

I found BF support group as well and a sensible consultant who said that topping up isnt that bad - as a result I have a very happy boy.

I just wish money went towards supporting BF and also towards dealing with miscarriages, my exerience when I had a mc was appaling

Totally agree! You don't know until you try!! My plan always was to try before making a choice.

I remember the midwife coming round and I said I was in agony so she watched me feed and just said there was no problem with the latch and I was doing everything right but gave me no other support! I couldn't get out because of the section and being a single mum so I felt there was nothing I could do. I remember bursting into tears when the h. Asked if I was bf as I'd swapped to ff and she said it didn't matter how baby was fed just that she got food. It even makes me cry now! There is a massive pressure on women but if there was more support I think it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

There needs to be bf support for first time mums, it's essential!!
I don't think mums realise how painful it is at first (until nipples toughen) and a lot of ladies worry they are doing it wrong or that the pain will last as long as they bf, so they move to ff because they are unsupported.
Some ladies worry they aren't producing enough milk (some aren't but this isn't very common) but some move to ff for this reason as they worry about lo being hungry. If they were supported and given strategies to stimulate more milk production then they would still be bf now.
I think women are sent home with baby with very little support when it comes to bf.
I also believe a lot of mw's are not very good at giving advice and support about bf, they just preach at you about how it's best for baby xx

i think the idea of trying to make one option better by portraying another negativly is actually quite childish!!

the government should spend more money helping people breastfeed. i think one of the reasons i had supply issues was i was so stressed about having to use formula (drummed into me that it was bad) that i think it was detrimental to my supply. i was so naive about breastfeeding and thought it would be easy!!! my midwives and breast feeding group alike said there was no problems with what i was doing, and there advice which was to top up with formula and carry on as i was, was wrong looking abck at it. they couldn't be bothered to help me with the feeding, just palmed me off because they were so so busy!

i don't actually care about the points, but i wish there was more education about formula - look at how many questions there are about making up bottles!!

What's lovely about this is we are all putting the world to rights and not one argument has started and that makes a huge change!! All we need now is David Cameron to read this and put these things into place!

What's lovely about this is we are all putting the world to rights and not one argument has started and that makes a huge change!! All we need now is David Cameron to read this and put these things into place!

Let's write to him! ;) xx

There should defo be more support for mums who want to BF. THe hospital I was in was fantastic on delivery, then move to post-natal and it was like going into a war zone! Their idea of helping a tongue-tied baby after a traumatic birth, with skin ripped off his head to latch on was to force him on by pushing his hurt head and forcing my boob in his mouth :shock: Me in tears and baby not having a clue what to do.

It was horrific.

Thank god for breast feeding support! They are AMAZING! And thanks for their advice and guidance I did a whole year BF my boy and I will do my best for my little girl when she gets here too!

Good for you Maria!
I was told so many times "so you'll be ff then?"
Erm no!
"but it's twins"
and?????
Grrrrrrr x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads