• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nuchal scan???

littleem

Reaction score
For those that have had a nuchal scan do they do the blood test before
Or after the scan
And what actually is it???
When I was pregnant with my daughter I wasn't offered this scan

They do the blood test afterwards. The scan is not really any different from a normal one except that they have to take a measurement of the rear of the baby's neck. In my case she spent a good 10 mons trying to get pip to flip over as they gave to be on their back and mine was on their belly.
The blood test is just a normal one and then you generally get a letter within a week or two

Hope this helps xxx

Yeah exactly what Becky said... I had to go for a walk for 10mins coz baby wasn't in the right position..

I'm still waiting for my letter.. it was exactly two weeks ago today I had mine... but they said if it was high risk they would ring within a week....x

What for? Does it tell you anything? X

A measurement over 2mm can signify high risk for chromosonal problems such as Down's Syndrome. The blood tests give another indicator for high or low risk xxxxxxxxx

It's a combination of the measurement and the blood tests. I had a measurement of 2.7 but with my bloods that gives me something like a one on 560 chance of having a baby with DS. My nhs trust don't consider you a high risk unless you have a greater than one in 150 chance

Ah right ta bunnies. Gosh everything is just so frightening xx

My chances are 1 in 1700, the bloods and scan showed very low risk but cos I'm an old hag at 34 it pushed up the risk slightly xxxxxxx

Baby brain that's also pushed my chances up as I'm pushing 32!!!!

I'm 32 this November. So am I high risk too? Gosh this has really frightened me. When will they know for certain if you have a baby with a medical condition? When it's born ? Xx

I'm 32 this November. So am I high risk too? Gosh this has really frightened me. When will they know for certain if you have a baby with a medical condition? When it's born ? Xx

You find out way before then in most cases hun, that's what the tests are for. The older the mother the more risk there is but it's just one of those things, you can't prevent chromosone problems and they are rare anyway. A good friend of mine is 42 and she has just been given the all clear and yet I know a 22 year old with a Down's baby. It's just the luck of the draw

I've got myself into a right state now as I've just been looking on line etc about the nt scan. I'm dreading my scan now xx

Hun stop panicking, and for goodness sake don't google. When you get your scan date through you will get a booklet which explains everything including how rare it is. Honestly sweetie you will drive yourself mad xxxxxxx

Ta hunny. I'm terrible! I hate not being in control of something and this whole growing a baby issue is something I have absolutely no control of and it scares me to death!!
I'll relax after the scan! But it's def made me make the decision of not telling anybody until after it xx

To me by the time I got to
My Scan I was so glad to see my
Little pip on there I didn't really care or worry about the rest of it. The chance of getting a high risk result are really small ....don't worry about it baby bo xx and stop bloody googling stuff!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back