nuchal scan???

ceris

Reaction score
I have had to book the nuchal scan private as my area does not do them on the nhs...£210...
is it an internal scan or like an ultra sound??

It depends on whether they can see clearly enough.
I had an internal as they just couldn't see clearly, but it's often an ultra sound.

I had normal ultra sound then a blood test straight after

It's usually done at a time (roughly between weeks 11 and 14, I think) when it should definitely be possible to do it with a normal scan. It's just an extra measurement they take of the baby's neck.

thanks! I have bloods on Monday, then scans on Thursday so they have the blood results in ready for the scan!
really nervous!

Sorry to sound thick but what's this scan xx

its a scan to see if the baby has down syndrome or spina bifida etc... they look at the fluid in the spine and can see any abnormalities....
there are blood tests too...

So is this instead of an amniocentesis? Can't believe you have had to pay for that!! That's so shocking xx

Sleepysue, It's a test they've started doing in the last few years, the combined test works out the risk factor using blood test, mum's age and a measurement at the back of the babies neck. If your risk comes back as high you then have the option of amniocentesis or another invasive test if you choose.
The advantage is they can do it between 11 - 13 1/2 wks which is earlier than the amnio can be done.

I'm sure I read somewhere that NHS now have to offer it to everyone. That's really bad your hospital dont do it Ceris - hope it all goes ok xxx

they offer the blood test but not the scan... grrrr...but husband said he doesnt care if it costs £2000!!! (wish he felt that way when i am out shopping in Jane Norman!!) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back