Next step now she is 6 months tomorrow....

PINK BUTTERFLY

Reaction score
We want to start her on food :-/ she is showing a big interest in food but want to take it slow so we are going to start with puréed food then after she gets used to that start guving her soft finger food :)

When you are weaning do you still offer the same amount of milk each day? Even if she eats a lot? Not sure what's the best way to so it? X

Hiya, we've just moved onto 3 'meals' a day and are doing purées too. A Hv last week told me to do the food first then offer the bottle about 5 mins later. Since being on 3 meals a day, Jules is already dropping ozs and not finishing bottles. The only ones she drains now are the first and last. Hv also said the aim is by 9 months to just have them on 2 bottles a day.

It's a bit trial and error really as too how much she'll eat etc. we're tending to do 2 courses each time of either a fruit purée or at lunch a fromage Frais.

Happy half birthday to Chloe for tomorrow, its Jules on Friday! Where's the time gone! X x

Thanks Hun :)

Did you start with just one meal a day and then built up? Or did you start by doing one main meal a day and another part of the day fruit/dessert?

I just want to fatten her up, she is so slim (her weight is fine) she has slight fat on her legs and did have a a few china but the chins are going :( people are saying to me she is fine just slender but I want to see a bit of a belly (not fat but healthy) x

No worries my dear.

To begin with I started just with a fruit purée on an afternoon to get her used to food and eating off a spoon etc. I then introduced breakfast of baby porridge for a but then just kinda went for it with the 3! Initially I was feeding her in between bottles til the Hv said I'd just be feeding all day and would never get out the house and Jules would never be getting hungry for next feed which after shed said it made complete sense!

I've got a chunky monkey over here! Proper chubby thighs etc! X x

Thanks Hun, I will do that then :)

So will start with fruit in the afternoon but still give her the normal 5 bottles then build up from there.....sounds simple now! Lol x

I would say just have fun hun!

we started properly at 6mnths too and just started with a little porridge between first 2 bottles, as she was obviously hungry in the morning. I also gave a few spoons of fruit puree after her lunchtime bottle. (Ellas do 4mnth pouches that are small and great for first tastes)

we just gradually built it up from there, although at 7mnths I took her lunchtime bottle away, so she would eat more food. She has 26oz of milk a day, and 3 meals so she is getting plenty.

just waiting for her to drop her mid afternoon bottle and I will then replace it with a snack or something.

but have fun with her, it can be so funny watching their wee faces screw up with new tastes!! x

I started with breakfast, so I guess it's up to you which meal you start with. I'd just say try and be consistent.

We started with baby rice and porridge, but moved onto pureed apple and pear quite quickly. To start with J only had a couple of spoonfuls, then we gradually increased by a spoonful at a time.

J was on 4/5 bottles a day when we started and I still offer her 4 bottles a day but the middle two she generally doesn't finish. Some days she misses the 3rd one completely.

I still cannot believe Chloe is 6 months... Wow!!

Hiya, we've just moved onto 3 'meals' a day and are doing purées too. A Hv last week told me to do the food first then offer the bottle about 5 mins later. Since being on 3 meals a day, Jules is already dropping ozs and not finishing bottles. The only ones she drains now are the first and last. Hv also said the aim is by 9 months to just have them on 2 bottles a day.

It's a bit trial and error really as too how much she'll eat etc. we're tending to do 2 courses each time of either a fruit purée or at lunch a fromage Frais.

Happy half birthday to Chloe for tomorrow, its Jules on Friday! Where's the time gone! X x

I remember you kindly posted this info on a thread I started and I did mean to reply.

My HV said specifically not to feed James actual food when he is hungry / due a milk feed?? I have taken this advice as to be honest if James wants milk that is all he wants...

I tend to offer him food midway between bottles. We're BLW and James isn't taking much food at all. He has a nibble of most things but at the moment he is eating very little [which is normal for BLW], he still has pretty much the same amount of milk.

I am currently just doing breakkie and dinner, with maybe some fruit and yoghurt mid afternoon and he was going through a really stressful period with food for about a week [again this is normal for BLW but it was horrible]

I think the key is to take it slowly and not expect them to get used to 3 meals a day immediately.

xxxxx

Last edited:
Hiya

It's frustrating isn't it that advice from Hvs differs so much! How are we meant to have a clue when they change their minds so much! He he

I guess it again just comes down to each baby being different etc. Jules seems to have no probs eating food when a bottle is due and then gets offered the bottle afterwards. If we're in I'm giving her some finger foods to play with on an afternoon but seeing the mess she creates with just a couple if small things, there's no way I could do blw! He he

Xxxxx

I have seen several HV's since having James some of the advice has been downright scary!!! One told me to offer him an oz of water with every bottle to ease constipation. He was just a few months then and having 6 bottles so that was potentially 6oz of water a way he *could* have had if I'd followed her advice!!

Also my GP offers contradictory advice.

My worst experience by far was when James was 2 days old. I had a breast feeding coordinator yanking at one boob telling me to feed James a certain way and the MW pulling at the other boob telling me something different. They just sat either side of me blatantly contradicting each other so I take the advice given with a pinch of salt these days.

PB, I would start with maybe breakkie (just some porridge - you can use proper porridge oats or baby porridge) and maybe some yoghurt or fruit chunks

xxxxxxx

My LO is almost 6 months and is on 2-3 meals a day AND about 30 milk a day. He is just a little food monster.

I was told and follow milk first then food an hour later. So for example George had his milk at 7.30am, he's now having his morning nap and will have his breakfast when he wakes up (pouch of Ella's baby brekkie) he will then have milk around 12 followed by lunch at 1 (generally a fruit puree pouch), then milk at 4 followed by tea at 5 (savoury, tonight he has puréed fish pie from our tea last night with broccoli and carrot thrown in) and then with any luck he has his milk at 7pm for bed and 11pm df. Each milk is 6ozs but he seems to be dropping an oz of each bottle now.

That's the plan anyway!

Nat, I offer water in a sippy cup after each meal to help break down the food and wash it down really. He only takes a few sips but I think water should be offered with food?

I think as long as your baby is getting the right stuff to grow healthy and is a good weight (I think Chloe needs to put a bit in) then you are doing it right......as soon as they get older and see that big "M" (McDonald's) that's when you are in trouble! Lol x

We are doing purees jus now for taste, he gets lunch and dinner - we have been told lunch time is a good time to introduce change.

The pouches I get r organic and can be frozen for diff textures.

For when jacksons tooth comes through properly then he will get mashed stuff and finger foods. He already does the chewing motion when I feed him. I hear his little tooth tap off the spoon lol

xxxxx

Right well at lunch time I tried her on a cow & gate jar (pumpkin & carrot with chicken 4-6 months) wasn't brave enough to start her in 6+

So what happened......she went crazy! Screamed every time I took the spoon away and finished the whole jar and screamed when it was all gone) she even started sucking her bib before I got a chance to take it off of her. Had to give her some milk after as she would not stop screaming for more!

Think she likes her food! Going to do just one meal a day for a while and offer her the same milk :) x

Ah that's fab! It's great seeing them enjoying food! I keep alternating between hipp jars, Ella's pouches and stuff I've made although she seems to prefer shop bought stuff to what I've made the cheeky madam! Hehe

When you get into the swing of things, Ella's kitchen pouches are fab for out and about coz you can just squeeze them straight onto the spoon!

Jill xx

Thanks Hun :)

You should of seen us both, i wanted to have her on my lap as first time so you can imagine what a mess I was when she had finished! She kept grabbing the spoon and Didnt want to let go!

Baby grow, big bib, hand towel, baby and mummy covered! Lol x

We use the ellas kitchen pouches. Can even be frozen for diff textures xxxxx

They are really nice aren't they! Sod's law they're the more expensive kind tho! Ah well, if its what they like! He he xxxxx

The way Chloe was eating I don't think she cares whatever it is! Lol

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back