Natural labour and footling breech

Discussion in 'Labour & Birth' started by MrsB2105, Jul 28, 2016.

1. MrsB2105

MrsB2105 Well-Known Member

So my google search was naff

I am curious if natural labour can start with a footling breech

Things such as waters breaking, cervix dilating, real contractions.

I have idea what to expect from this scenario and the more I think about it the more worried I become. I'm planning on a planned section which I am waiting to be booked in for ... But I have a fear that I could end up with an emergency section if labour decides to do its own thing ... I live about 40 mins away from the hospital and really don't want to be taking too many risks if I can avoid it.

Advice or experiences welcome :) x

2. MrsMcc

MrsMcc Well-Known Member

I went for a scan at 33 weeks baby was classed as footling breech. He turned 2 days ago when I was 34 and 5 days. You have lots of time for baby to turn. Footling breech is a c section. They can turn baby if he moves to a breech position with his legs up. My midwife said they would have scanned at 36 weeks and made a plan.

3. MrsB2105

It's twins and they are both footling breech and they won't turn them because of the harm that can be caused to the other x

4. MrsMcc

MrsMcc Well-Known Member

Ah yes I didn't see u had twins! I was also told footling breech shouldn't be turned x hope you get a date and everything go smoothly. Much better planned section than emergency

5. MrsB2105

I was told that by a dr as they can give better pain relief if it is planned and it would be more civilised. A midwife told me today that if I was to go into natural labour - which is highly unlikely - I have to ring 999.
    Got another scan tomorrow so will find out more then x

6. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

My SIL went into labour naturally with a footling breach and she had a planned c section the week later, so her waters broke and she started contracting then they just did a c section any way xx

7. MrsB2105

I have been told that will happen to me in those circumstances ... You never know what surprises are around the corner x