My IVF journey

I am so happy its ridiculous, I think I really had it in my mind that I wouldn't respond and I was thinking I would be over the moon if I had any more than 5. The woman scanning me was really impressed too. I just had the call, bloods are ok, scan on Friday Eeeek xx

That's fantastic progress - low amh?!! Hope you can feel a bit more relaxed now you know the drugs are working xx

I know, I was absolutely shocked, I really thought I'd only produce a few as my amh is very low. Definitely feel more relaxed about it as it was all so unknown before the scan. Congrats again btw :) xx

Fantastic news :) lots of good news floating around for the ltttcers! Fab!!! Xx

Thanks Charlie, its nice for there to be some good news in the ltttc camp :)

So to all the ladies who have had IVF, when did they discuss how many they would put back in on transfer day. I forgot to discuss this with the consultant. I may only have one to put back in anyway but just curious at what point they discussed it with you? I would ideally like 2, I have read they don't like to put 2 in for people under 37. I am 31 but I am hoping because of the low egg reserve and everything that they will put 2 if I have them. When should I talk to them about it? On egg collection day? xx

My hospital only put one in as they have a higher overall success rate that way. I couldn't have 2 anyway as I can't carry twins so always knew mine would be 1. I think in my clinic it's over 35 who have 2 as they have a higher success rate with 2 over that age. Xx

So there is a higher success rate with just one? I thought there would be more chance with two. I will have to discuss it with them xx

Also, sorry to ask 100 questions Charlie but do they check the sperm sample for count, motility etc before they go to fertilisation stage? My OHs last SA was amazing but the two before were not so great so just wondering if they will check all is ok beforehand? xx

With us oh had a SA not long before and it wasn't great so they said they would go ahead with icsi. He had been sick at the time so we asked if they could try to go with Ivf on the day if the count was ok but have icsi as a back up if it was still bad. They managed to go ahead with Ivf on the day.

In my hospital there success percentage is higher from using one embryo on people our age, they have more chemical pregnancies from using 2 as if one doesn't implant it can cause problems for the one that takes. we were told all this at our Ivf evening we had to go to before the treatment started. Xx

We didn't go to an IVF evening, it was all very quick. We went for the appointment and started down regulating from that cycle, so around a week and a half later.
That's interesting to know about one possibly affecting the other when 2 are implanted. I just thought they may do two for me because although I am young, my ovaries are acting a lot older in regards to reserve. I will bring it up when I go for my scan on Friday and ask them who I should speak to.
My OHs previous 2 SAs weren't terrible but not brilliant, only motility on the lower side, everything else was normal but I of course want to know we have the best chance xx

Yeah my OHs was the motility when he was sick. But when it came to the day they said his sample was grade A. Which made him happy! Haha! Wow your Ivf process is really quick isn't it! I only have the one ovary that works as other one isn't connected to a tube as its not formed and they still went ahead with one. I think once it reaches embryo stage it shouldn't matter what you egg reserve is really xx

I went for IVF at the ages of 35 and 36, and all three times they put back in 2 without me even needing to request it.

While one of those hospitals is very against multiple pregnancies, the embryo quality was generally poor and the non-candidates were unlikely to make it to blastocyst.

It's worth asking, I think it's the embryologists who make decisions as to what/how many gets put and when. You should be able to speak to them directly e.g. when they call to say how many have fertilised overnight.

Yeah my OHs was the motility when he was sick. But when it came to the day they said his sample was grade A. Which made him happy! Haha! Wow your Ivf process is really quick isn't it! I only have the one ovary that works as other one isn't connected to a tube as its not formed and they still went ahead with one. I think once it reaches embryo stage it shouldn't matter what you egg reserve is really xx

You're right, once its at embryo stage the reserve would most likely not come into it.
I bet your OH was happy lol, when we got the results of the final SA I think my OH wanted to throw a party, it went from 18% in the first, to 40% to 80% progressive motility so quite an improvement. I think it was the wellman vits and we found out he had low vit d so that may have helped being on extra vits for that too.
My IVF process has been pretty quick, we saw them three months ago just to ask for cyclogest as I was sure I had low progesterone, I had also just got a blood test that showed the FSH to be high, that prompted the IVF place to test AMH so we were told to try for three months and then IVF as time is running out. In those three months, I didn't even think of going to an open evening, we just focused on trying naturally so when we went back for our appointment 3 months later they said we could start that cycle which I am glad about as I would have had to wait til the New Year otherwise xx

I went for IVF at the ages of 35 and 36, and all three times they put back in 2 without me even needing to request it.

While one of those hospitals is very against multiple pregnancies, the embryo quality was generally poor and the non-candidates were unlikely to make it to blastocyst.

It's worth asking, I think it's the embryologists who make decisions as to what/how many gets put and when. You should be able to speak to them directly e.g. when they call to say how many have fertilised overnight.

Thanks tinselcat, that's helpful to know who it is I need to speak to about it. I still feel like I have so much to learn with the IVF process so I just find myself asking loads of questions xx

You're right, once its at embryo stage the reserve would most likely not come into it.
I bet your OH was happy lol, when we got the results of the final SA I think my OH wanted to throw a party, it went from 18% in the first, to 40% to 80% progressive motility so quite an improvement. I think it was the wellman vits and we found out he had low vit d so that may have helped being on extra vits for that too.
My IVF process has been pretty quick, we saw them three months ago just to ask for cyclogest as I was sure I had low progesterone, I had also just got a blood test that showed the FSH to be high, that prompted the IVF place to test AMH so we were told to try for three months and then IVF as time is running out. In those three months, I didn't even think of going to an open evening, we just focused on trying naturally so when we went back for our appointment 3 months later they said we could start that cycle which I am glad about as I would have had to wait til the New Year otherwise xx

We had to go to the evening it wasn't something we could choose to do. That was the first step from my hospital you see. They basically told me everything I had already read anyway but was interesting to see over 30-40 couples all going through it! They have those meetings every 2 weeks so just shows fertility problems are extremely common and it made me feel less alone.

My OH also used the well man so think that may have helped them so quick :) he wanted to shout it from the roof tops that he had grade A swimmers haha!

All hospitals do it differently so you may get 2 or you may get one, everyone's circumstances can affect it I'm sure xx

I think it is so common, by how busy my acupuncturist is says it all, she mostly sees people for fertility and its obviously only local so that alone shows how many people are seeking help.
Will have to wait and see what they say about how many I guess :) xx

I wouldn't worry anyway, it only takes one and your young enough for one to hang on perfectly :) really praying for you that it's all a success xxx

Thanks Charlie, I hope so too :) xx

Hi hun, as the others have said once you've had stims egg reserve and amh doesn't really matter. At my hospital they judge how many to put back on age, embryo quality and whether you have any embryos to freeze. My embryos were good quality but I had none to freeze and I'm 36 so they were happy to put 2 back (the older you are the less chance you have of success). To be honest I haven't seen a consultant throughout my ivf - decisions are made by a panel of doctors that I don't meet but the embryologist told me the day after collection that the doctors had approved putting 2 back, there wasn't any discussion but I was happy with 2 anyway! Strange how it varies do much. I'm sure as you're private you'll be consulted more than I was xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back