IVF / Breast Cancer

Moley

Reaction score
I've been doing some research into IVF as I have been put forward on referral to have it done and I'm getting worried about some articles I've seen linking IVF to breast cancer. There's no concrete medical proof that this is the case but I just wondered if this is something any of you lovelies have heard of?!

Breast cancer, cervical cancer, uterine cancer - the risk of any female cancer is increased unfortunately.

These types of cancers are known to grow when exposed to high levels of estrogen, and maybe other hormones, that are used to cause increased follicle production during IVF and that is where the link is made.

However, lots of couples that undergo IVF suffer conditions that are a result of the women having naturally excessive hormone levels - so whether the increased risk of female cancer in people who have undergone IVF is due to the drugs or due to the women's existing cause of infertility - who knows.

The increase is only small anyway, the Nhs would restrict use otherwise.

I'm of the opinion that in life, if you are destined to suffer a certain situation that it is unavoidable. If you are going to suffer a female cancer, it will happen regardless of any precautions that you might take xx

Breast cancer, cervical cancer, uterine cancer - the risk of any female cancer is increased unfortunately.

These types of cancers are known to grow when exposed to high levels of estrogen, and maybe other hormones, that are used to cause increased follicle production during IVF and that is where the link is made.

However, lots of couples that undergo IVF suffer conditions that are a result of the women having naturally excessive hormone levels - so whether the increased risk of female cancer in people who have undergone IVF is due to the drugs or due to the women's existing cause of infertility - who knows.

The increase is only small anyway, the Nhs would restrict use otherwise.

I'm of the opinion that in life, if you are destined to suffer a certain situation that it is unavoidable. If you are going to suffer a female cancer, it will happen regardless of any precautions that you might take xx

Totally agree. The increased risk is very small and what doesn't get mentioned is other factors such as family history of female cancers etc.

Thanks Louise / Babybrain... Yes what I'm reading seems to mention younger ages and family history but will keep reading x x

I was worried after mum read similar articles and expressed her concern. We start Ivf Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back