My dogs a murderer!

keli

Reaction score
Thought i'd take Cooper and Es (my 5yr old lab) for a walk. We walk down a path so i let Es off the lead. She spots a cat so legs it after it, and doesn't come back so i'm calling her when i hear chicken noises like clucking but alot of clucking.. so i thought this is not good! Theres a big field with horses and chickens and shes somehow got into it!!! She pops her head up and shes got a dead chicken in her mouth!!! :puke: :puke: Luckily a women was walking past and she stayed with Cooper and i had to climb over a fence and chase after the dog!! Am not pleased.. whilst i was shouting and chasing her like a mad women she catches and kills at least 3 chickens!! :cry: :cry: :cry: Poor things. Anyway got her on the lead eventually and some fella helped me throw her over the fence! I'm not talking to her now shes in the back garden and shes staying there :shakehead: :shakehead:

You should have taken them for your tea :wink:

Shes just doing whats natural - bad day to be a chicken though :rotfl:

Kim x x x x x

OMG, thats quite scary. What did the chickens owner say?

eek - bet the owner wasn't happy. hope it doesn't cost you too much financially. guess your dog is going to have to get used to being on the lead now.

Aww no! So upsetting isn't it.

My dogs are too. One of my cats had a litter of kittens. One became very attached to me. One night i was putting the dogs away and turned the light off. The kitten must of snuck in there and 4am the next morning OH got in from work he found the poor limp little thing. I was pregnant at the time and god i was a mess! I hated them for ages and sent them off to my dads for a week!

The owners weren't there!.. didn't have a pen/paper to leave my name and number. Will have a walk down there tomorrow and see if they are there. Will def be putting Es on lead when passing there again as she now knows how to get in and may do it again. I will let her back off when passed it tho as she is a good dog and wouldn't harm anything else she's just got a thing for birds :wall:

LisaJ1986 said:
Aww no! So upsetting isn't it.

My dogs are too. One of my cats had a litter of kittens. One became very attached to me. One night i was putting the dogs away and turned the light off. The kitten must of snuck in there and 4am the next morning OH got in from work he found the poor limp little thing. I was pregnant at the time and god i was a mess! I hated them for ages and sent them off to my dads for a week!

:hug: :hug: :hug: She killed a mouse once it was a lovely little thing it lived under my sink and i'd see it all the time that really upset me. xx

Meggiewoo said:

Kim x x x x x

Shouldn't really but... :rotfl: ..she was spitting feathers when she came back.. literally! :rotfl:

awww the poor chickens i think i would have run the opposite direction if our dog had dean chicken in its mouth haha

Oh god id be devastated. I know its in some dogs nature but i hate anything like that..I almost cried when i saw a hawk grab another bird and flew away with it! Definately make sure she stay on the lead around chickens in future! Birds have such a rough deal in life!

Claire x

keli said:
Meggiewoo said:

Kim x x x x x

Shouldn't really but... :rotfl: ..she was spitting feathers when she came back.. literally! :rotfl:

:rotfl: Sorry, my first thoughts were "aw poor pup was just showing mummy how clever she is" but that cracked me up!

Our dog used to let the cats kill the birds then chase them away so he could claim the credit himself. ;)

I know, couldn't have been pleasant to have to deal with though xx :)

The dog was just doing what it has in it's blood, all dogs are hunters by nature.

Poor chickens tho - I bet the chicken owner will be having lovely meals for the next few nights! :)

keli said:
The owners weren't there!.. didn't have a pen/paper to leave my name and number. Will have a walk down there tomorrow and see if they are there. Will def be putting Es on lead when passing there again as she now knows how to get in and may do it again. I will let her back off when passed it tho as she is a good dog and wouldn't harm anything else she's just got a thing for birds :wall:

I'd write a note and leave it nailed to the gatepost or some place in a clear plastic bag so the owners will at least know what has happened to their chickens and can contact you about compensation etc if they wish. If they were purebred and hens that were egg laying you can expect to pay £10 a bird minimum. Some purebred breeds cost more. Mine I charge at least £10 for a young bird and up to £20 for some types when grown.

As a poultry owner I'd be really pissed off not knowing what killed my chooks. Anyone who knows about poultry will probably be able to tell it was a canine that killed them but would expect a fox to take them away. I've lost stock to a neighbours dog before and was livid. It cost her over £60 in total to replace my stock (12 young chooks I was rearing for the table). Had it been my chickens got out I'd have considered it my responsibility but as it was her dog not under control I was compensated.

My dog used to catch baby birds in the back yard kill them and leave them on my bed!! nice eh! :puke: :puke:

SarahH said:
Poor chickens tho - I bet the chicken owner will be having lovely meals for the next few nights! :)

Not really :? Chickens should be starved for 12/24 hours before slaughter and also bled and hung when killed. If they are left hours before the owners find them they are not much use to anyone. I'd certainly not eat any of mine if they had been dead for any length of time. Also if they are egg layers they are a different type of bird so won't carry as much meat. Also if older birds then meat is generally tougher and not so good to eat. Better cooked in a pot instead of roasting.

Sherlock said:
SarahH said:

Not really :? Chickens should be starved for 12/24 hours before slaughter and also bled and hung when killed. If they are left hours before the owners find them they are not much use to anyone. I'd certainly not eat any of mine if they had been dead for any length of time. Also if they are egg layers they are a different type of bird so won't carry as much meat. Also if older birds then meat is generally tougher and not so good to eat. Better cooked in a pot instead of roasting.

I do know that - was only trying to lighten the subject! :|

Lol mine had a squirell this morning...it bit knockers nose so he shredded it :twisted: little *******!

poochielove said:
Lol mine had a squirell this morning...it bit knockers nose so he shredded it :twisted: little b*****d!

My goodness, what sort of dogs have you girls got? Our little fluffy mongrel used to run around the field, play ball and go home without killing anything!

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back