Advice Plz Regarding My Neighbours Dogs

Kelly G

Reaction score
Hi

My next door neigbour moved in last summer with 3 big dogs, one being a Rottweiler, dunno what breed the other two are but they are big!

When she moved in she asured me that the dogs could jump the fence, she said the rottweiler was too old and the other dogs where too fat!

All 3 of the dogs have managed to jump the front and back fence a number of times since they moved in, and if they are not jumping the fence they are stood up against the fence barking at anyone that passes including us!

I have complained to them and the council but no joy.

This morning i went out to take Brooke to school and when i come back and what i see looking at me through the window is this

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

And its still in my garden now! I have been round but there is no answer! I have rang the council and they said they would ring me back and that the niebour hood officer is in my area so he MIGHT call in! I also asked about having a 6ft fence out up but she said it wasn't for her to decide :shock: I also told them i had children, she didnt seem bothered i think she thought i was over reacting!

Im not too bothered at the minute as it is too wet to go out but when the summer comes i want my girls to be safe while playing out the the garden, they love playing outside it wont be fair to keep them in! The think that is worrying me the most is that one of the digs is a rottweiler!

Am i over reacting? Does anyone know what my rights are? Im really worried about this now!

Well she has just been and returned her dog, she knocked on the front door expecting to come through the house to get the dog and take it back again :shock: i said your not bringing it through the house you will have to go out the back and get it!

I told her it had been in the garden a coulple pf hors and she said she had just noticed he had gone missing :shock: She said i dont know how he got in, how the hell did she think he got in, i said well he obviously jumped the fence her there is no gaps in teh fence and both gates are shut! She still wont have it that it can jump the fence tho :wall:

Was hoping the council came while he was still in the garden, ill jsut have to show them all the pics instaed

Im so mad, i wish DH was he he would have sorted it out

Your not over-reacting atall hun!

That dog doesnt look too healthy to me and if she took a couple of hours to realise he was missing then I bet they arnt being cared for properly :shakehead:

I dont know what to suggest if the council arnt helping, other than keep on and on at them to do something.

I'm not surprised you are annoyed, I'd be fuming :evil:

She obviously doesnt give a hoot, and it might be her dogs are as soft as s**t BUT who wants to take a chance? The pic you've taken is of an akita, and TBH I would trust that less than the rotty.

Phone the local council dog warden (and keep on and keep on!), keep taking photos of them in your garden. If they are soft and you think you could approach them if they get in your garden again you could be a bit sneaky and take them out of the front of your house and tell the dog warden they've been straying, that way your neighbour would have to pay to get the back from the pound and it might make her control them a bit better.

Good luck, like you say at least the kids aren't in the garden at the moment but you want it safe for the summer.

Grr...

Well that breed of dog is a Japanese Akita. Not illegal to own but you should be aware of the breed and its characteristics.

They are bred for guarding and while not generally noisy can be aggresive with other dogs (and really should be kept on a lead when in a public place with other dogs as they are not at all submissive and if a fight occurs the Akita won't back down).

They are supposed to be good with children in their own 'pack' as it were, but children outside of that, I'd be wary. I don't want to worry you, but I would seriously look to the council to be getting you a 6 ft fence and make sure your entrances to the back garden are well secured.

Basically they are a guard dog and if left to get bored can develop unwanted personality problems. They like and require stimulation.

Not great pets IMHO as they require a large amount of owner input. Kept with other guard breeds such as a Rotti is potential trouble IMO. Both breeds are gaurd dogs by nature.

I am not sure what your legal rights are. I think the council have a duty of care to you and if you are a tenant then hopefully you can insist on a 6 ft fence.

If the dog continues to come into your garden you can a) ring the dog warden and inform them and record and take pics etc every time to make a case or b) ring and inform the RSPCA also and while they don't collect strays, they may be interested if the dogs are left outside unattended for long periods etc, as possible neglect cases. Also being considered a guard breed, you would hope the owner would have a more responsible attitude to their dogs and ensure they cannot escape.

If you have any fear the dog has escapeed and is becoming aggressive you can consider the police who will hopefully attend and deal with it. That may mean capturing it and then dealing with the owner or else if it is really nasty, they may destroy it rather than risk human injury.

And ditto about the dog warden. If the dog is found in a public place the warden will collect it and the owner will have to pay to get it back.

Only thing is, I'd not want to run the risk of letting it out in public as it may do more harm than good if its running around out there.

At least for now if it jumps into your garden it is locked away.

I'd maybe look at installing a fence extention. Making it higher if you cannot get a whole new fence put in. Or put up a tall new fence on your side, neighbour cannot complain.

As said, the dog itself might be lovely, but its a guard breed and one to wary of and treat with respect and leave well alone.

Being white I wonder if its deaf or hard of hearing also. Might be something to ask as it can cause issues if the dog cannot hear. Some cope well, others not, depending on the situation.

tnx for your replies, im still waiting for the council to ring back, if i dont hear anything soon i will ring them back! I have complained befroe but i havent kept on at them! I will be now tho! They have 2 of these dogs i think they breed them! She does leave them outside a lot, it spent most of the time sitting under my porch trying to keep dry, i did feel a little sorry for it buti would never trust any strange dog near my girls!

tnx again for the advice

EDIT: When she came to collect it she did say that she was going to run to the field as that is where she he usually goes when he gets out so it must wonder off a lot :D

Just a tip, the council will come out alot quicker if they think the dog is tied to your front fence and you cannot get out you front door with your kids because you are not sure if it is safe to take the kids past it than if they know it is securely fenced in in your garden :wink: :wink:

Sherlock said:
Well that breed of dog is a Japanese Akita. Not illegal to own but you should be aware of the breed and its characteristics.

They are bred for guarding and while not generally noisy can be aggresive with other dogs (and really should be kept on a lead when in a public place with other dogs as they are not at all submissive and if a fight occurs the Akita won't back down).

They are supposed to be good with children in their own 'pack' as it were, but children outside of that, I'd be wary. I don't want to worry you, but I would seriously look to the council to be getting you a 6 ft fence and make sure your entrances to the back garden are well secured.

Basically they are a guard dog and if left to get bored can develop unwanted personality problems. They like and require stimulation.

Not great pets IMHO as they require a large amount of owner input. Kept with other guard breeds such as a Rotti is potential trouble IMO. Both breeds are gaurd dogs by nature.

I am not sure what your legal rights are. I think the council have a duty of care to you and if you are a tenant then hopefully you can insist on a 6 ft fence.

If the dog continues to come into your garden you can a) ring the dog warden and inform them and record and take pics etc every time to make a case or b) ring and inform the RSPCA also and while they don't collect strays, they may be interested if the dogs are left outside unattended for long periods etc, as possible neglect cases. Also being considered a guard breed, you would hope the owner would have a more responsible attitude to their dogs and ensure they cannot escape.

If you have any fear the dog has escapeed and is becoming aggressive you can consider the police who will hopefully attend and deal with it. That may mean capturing it and then dealing with the owner or else if it is really nasty, they may destroy it rather than risk human injury.

Totally agree about the Akita thing, my brother had one, we all said he was mad and I wouldn't allow my kids anywhere near it (easily done as I don't talk to my brother anyway)
3 months ago the dog went for his friend, ripped a massive chunk out of his arm and he needed loads of surgery.

they are not a good dog to have around, I would rather have a rotweiller next door than one of these, everything sherlock said about them is true.

Every akita i have come across has been very vicious, personally i'd chuck some laxatives over the fence and let your selfish neighbour deal with the consequenses

A couple of people in my neighbourhood feel that opening their front door and letting the dog out is acceptable.

I dont have a dog but have had to put up with dog shit in my garden, so its been parcelled up and returned to sender.

You might get environmental health to come out and test the noise levels, keep a diary of when they are barking etc to to show the council.

You poor thing

the council when it comesto loose dogs are useless. I personally would contact your local police station, they are dogs that aren't under any control. Saying that they may just say talk to the council but keep a log of when the dogs get loose etc and keep it as evidence.

Definately apply to the council to have higher fences put up, these dogs are dangerous and I am so glad you took the photographs :hug:

phone the police and tell them it snapped at your child

I was gonna say if it happens again, don't tell your neighbour, call the police right away and say it's growling and snapping at you and you want it removed NOW.

When I still lived in uk my next door but ones neighbours dogs kept getting into my garden, they were a staff and a rottweiler, one morning they attacked my cat and killed her. I contacted EVERYONE, the RSPCA, the police, the council and the Housing Association who owned the neighbours house. I would go to the RSPCA and the police and state that she says the dog often gets out and is roaming on public and private property. The RSPCA actually came round and gave the family a warning and I wont say what the housing association officer said when he visited but 3 kids under 5 and dog faeces in the living room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The police also came round.

Does she own her house or is she a council tenant?

Babylicious said:
Definately apply to the council to have higher fences put up, these dogs are dangerous and I am so glad you took the photographs :hug:

Sorry to say but the council wont do this. Its not their responsibility its the owners responsibility. If the neighbours are council tenants then they will try to get them to abide by the tenancy agreement, if there is a clause in there about responsible animal ownership (there more than likely will be) then they will try and enfoece this, possibly even take them to court for injunction or eviction. If they are private tenants or home owners then environmental health will be your best bet. But the council will not spend money on a higher fence... sorry :(

Actually the RSPCA would probably take an interest as its a guard breed and kept with others of a similar type. If its not kept confined to its own garden it would be of cause for concern and the RSPCA would see it as possible neglect etc and maybe be able to take legal action.

I know a couple of people have said about informing the police etc it has snapped or growled at you, but I feel thats a bit dodgy as they may take action of a sort with unfortunate consequences for the dog when it has so far not shown any signs of aggression to your family. I'd be truthful and say you are simply concerned not only for your family but the neighbourhood as this is a big dog kept with others of the same nature and they are not kept securely. The owner has a responsibility to keep them secure.

You sure that dog hasn't been playing on that trampoline and accidently bounced into your garden? :wink:

Seriously though heres what I'd do....I would buy them plastic / rubber spike strips that you can put on the top of walls and fences and I'd also suggest to your neighbour to keep them inside while they are out and when they are at home they could muzzle them before letting them outside. And if all else failed I would make the fence higher.

Hope you get it sorted.

this is not a situation that you should be put in.its not fair on you or your children.I just wanted to say that it should be remembered its not the dogs fault here,its bad dog ownership thats causing the problems not the dogs themselves.simply getting the dogs taken away by the dog warden wont solve the problem in the long run a bad dog owner will still be a bad dog owner,they will get them back and not rectify the problem.you really need the RSPCA to slap a warning on the owners which if they keep having to issue the warnings will end up in the dogs being removed from the home.Even then unless a caution or ban/prosecution on ownership of dogs is put in place then theres nothing to stop them just goin out and getting more dogs.as well as phoning the RSPCA each and every time you should phone the housing officer if you and them are council tennants and you should take photo evidence too.pass it onto environmental health as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back