My dogs a murderer!

sadly some dogs will do it (thank god mine dont) but i have a feeling a farmer is well with in his rights to shoot your dog if it is caught on his land killing his stock so you may want to keep your dogs on leads if they have this tendency.

Sherlock said:
keli said:
The owners weren't there!.. didn't have a pen/paper to leave my name and number. Will have a walk down there tomorrow and see if they are there. Will def be putting Es on lead when passing there again as she now knows how to get in and may do it again. I will let her back off when passed it tho as she is a good dog and wouldn't harm anything else she's just got a thing for birds :wall:

I'd write a note and leave it nailed to the gatepost or some place in a clear plastic bag so the owners will at least know what has happened to their chickens and can contact you about compensation etc if they wish. If they were purebred and hens that were egg laying you can expect to pay £10 a bird minimum. Some purebred breeds cost more. Mine I charge at least £10 for a young bird and up to £20 for some types when grown.

As a poultry owner I'd be really p*ssed off not knowing what killed my chooks. Anyone who knows about poultry will probably be able to tell it was a canine that killed them but would expect a fox to take them away. I've lost stock to a neighbours dog before and was livid. It cost her over £60 in total to replace my stock (12 young chooks I was rearing for the table). Had it been my chickens got out I'd have considered it my responsibility but as it was her dog not under control I was compensated.

Thanks for the info.. really don't need this right now, bloody dog!!! :twisted: :twisted:

SarahH said:
Sherlock said:
SarahH said:
Poor chickens tho - I bet the chicken owner will be having lovely meals for the next few nights! :)

Not really :? Chickens should be starved for 12/24 hours before slaughter and also bled and hung when killed. If they are left hours before the owners find them they are not much use to anyone. I'd certainly not eat any of mine if they had been dead for any length of time. Also if they are egg layers they are a different type of bird so won't carry as much meat. Also if older birds then meat is generally tougher and not so good to eat. Better cooked in a pot instead of roasting.

I do know that - was only trying to lighten the subject! :|

poochielove said:
Lol mine had a squirell this morning...it bit knockers nose so he shredded it :twisted: little b*****d!

:shock: :shock: Don't think Es could ever shred anything!

nori said:
poochielove said:
Lol mine had a squirell this morning...it bit knockers nose so he shredded it :twisted: little b*****d!

My goodness, what sort of dogs have you girls got? Our little fluffy mongrel used to run around the field, play ball and go home without killing anything!

Claire x

Esme is a golden Labrador. Shes a retriver tho so i think its instinct for her to kill the birds as thats what they were bred to do? :think: I could be wrong. lol.

hennaly said:
sadly some dogs will do it (thank god mine dont) but i have a feeling a farmer is well with in his rights to shoot your dog if it is caught on his land killing his stock so you may want to keep your dogs on leads if they have this tendency.

The women that looked after Cooper said that too, not sure what i've had done if this happened :cry: will def be keeping her on her lead around that area.

keli said:
Esme is a golden Labrador. Shes a retriver tho so i think its instinct for her to kill the birds as thats what they were bred to do? :think: I could be wrong. lol.

Bred to retrieve dead or dying birds. Should be soft mouthed so as to not damage them further. Not really meant for the breed to kill birds.

Chances are she got excited and chased and caught them. Often it doesn't take much to kill a chook. A bite in the right place, shock and the bird is dead.

Sherlock said:
keli said:

Bred to retrieve dead or dying birds. Should be soft mouthed so as to not damage them further. Not really meant for the breed to kill birds.

Chances are she got excited and chased and caught them. Often it doesn't take much to kill a chook. A bite in the right place, shock and the bird is dead.

:cry: She def was excited! Didn't do her job very well tho as she legged it when i tried to get her! Playtime :wall: Can i ask , there was a white one and two brown ones with a red face/neck they are chickens aren't they? They can come in a few colours can't they? Not up on my birds!

keli said:
hennaly said:

The women that looked after Cooper said that too, not sure what i've had done if this happened :cry: will def be keeping her on her lead around that area.

It is illegal to kill dogs, whether on someone's land or killing stock. So no worries there. But still best to keep her on a lead for future.
If she's anything like my dog she refuses to obey me ever! I get mad as she just dances round me. OH can get her back in an instant.

Bless you, I'm used to muderous pets.

I'm a cat owner :lol:

LisaJ1986 said:
keli said:
hennaly said:

It is illegal to kill dogs, whether on someone's land or killing stock. So no worries there. But still best to keep her on a lead for future.
If she's anything like my dog she refuses to obey me ever! I get mad as she just dances round me. OH can get her back in an instant.

a farmer can legally shoot a dog they can't stop chasing or worrying their livestock

LisaJ1986 said:
keli said:
hennaly said:

sorry i hate to argue but you are wrong, i have checked my information and a farmer is well within his rights to shoot and kill a dog that is on his land worrying his livestock.

Agree with the above I'm afraid!

I come from a farming family and we have had to shoot many dogs who are worrying/killing sheep and lambs. Sad, yes, but if you saw what a family pet is capable of doing to a lamb you'd understand.

LaineyG said:

I come from a farming family and we have had to shoot many dogs who are worrying/killing sheep and lambs. Sad, yes, but if you saw what a family pet is capable of doing to a lamb you'd understand.

I don't know about the law/rights etc but isn't a chicken a bit different to a sheep or a lamb? Or is it just all classed as livestock?

keli said:
:cry: She def was excited! Didn't do her job very well tho as she legged it when i tried to get her! Playtime :wall: Can i ask , there was a white one and two brown ones with a red face/neck they are chickens aren't they? They can come in a few colours can't they? Not up on my birds!

Chickens come in loads of colours/markings. And bantam and large breeds.

The brown ones are possibly hybrid layers. There are a few breeds with brownish colouring but a fair few hybrids ones also. Hybrids should not cost as much to replace. They may have even had them as rescue battery hens or some such. Could be ISA browns like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ISA_ ... _Pengo.jpg

The white one could be any number of breeds. Light Sussex are white with black markings on their necks. There are also a fair few other white breeds. White one should look something like this http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... hicken.JPG

keli said:
LaineyG said:

I don't know about the law/rights etc but isn't a chicken a bit different to a sheep or a lamb? Or is it just all classed as livestock?

chicken are classed as livestock IIRC

Yup, law is farmer can shoot dogs worrying/harming livestock.

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/gundogspractice

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sout ... 615909.stm

Also this from Naturenet on dogs and the law. I've bolded points of interest
http://www.naturenet.net/law/dogs.html

Dogs and the law

Note: this page - like all others on Naturenet - concerns the law in England and Wales. We cannot help you if you want to know about dog laws anywhere else, especially in the United States.

Worrying Livestock
When on any enclosed land with sheep all dogs must be on a lead or 'under close control'. If you allow your dog to worry livestock you can be prosecuted and fined, ordered to pay compensation and even have the dog destroyed. Now who's worried? Worrying livestock means attacking or chasing any farm animal or poultry - there does not have to be any contact. This is outlined in the Animals Act 1971 section 9, which also states that the farmer is not liable to compensate the dog’s owner in such circumstances.

Any dog which is not a working dog can be regarded as worrying livestock merely by being off lead or not under close control in a field or enclosure where there are sheep. A landowner could shoot such a dog, if it can be proved that the action was necessary to protect livestock and that it was reported to the police within 48 hours. The dog's owner can then be subject to all the above penalties too - except being shot, of course. So be careful!

On a right of way your dog does not have to be on a lead but it does have to be 'under close control'. This phrase is not defined but pretty much means that if you are in a field with animals or poultry and your dog will not always come, straight away, when called even when he's chasing things, and then stay there, he could be at risk of being seen to worry animals. So if there is any chance he might go off then the lead is the best option until you are out of the field with livestock in it.

Damage and Injury
If your dog or indeed any animal under your control injures a person or animal or damages property, the owner or person responsible may be liable for damages. This would be a civil claim and not necessarily a criminal offence.

I think its pretty much is the case today legality wise. I can't find anything that says the law has changed in recent years.

keli said:
LaineyG said:

I *think* that if a farmer/land owner relies on the chicken for income eg. eggs and meat then they are classed as livestock. We'd think nothing of killing a fox that got into a coup so I don't think it'd be different if it was a domestic dog.

Thanks for the info ladies. Am going to go back tomorrow minus the dog and offer to pay for the chickens it's the right thing to do. Have let the dog in and fed her shes snoring in her bed at the moment :roll:

keli said:
Thanks for the info ladies. Am going to go back tomorrow minus the dog and offer to pay for the chickens it's the right thing to do. Have let the dog in and fed her shes snoring in her bed at the moment :roll:

take it out of her pocket money - no pedigree chum for her anymore!!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back