Advice Plz Regarding My Neighbours Dogs

My MIL has 2 Japanese Akitas and I won't let Clark stay at her house without me being there, and when we are there I make sure we are locked in the lounge! We used to live with her and both dogs have shown vicious tendancies in the past! I would definately see if the RSPCA would do anything, the only other thing you could do for you and your childrens sake is to put a higher fence up on your side just an inch or two inside the border, if she complains tell her you had no choice because she has let dogs that were originally bred to hunt bears in Japan jump into your garden!!! :x

natalie&jake said:
Babylicious said:
Definately apply to the council to have higher fences put up, these dogs are dangerous and I am so glad you took the photographs :hug:

Sorry to say but the council wont do this. Its not their responsibility its the owners responsibility. If the neighbours are council tenants then they will try to get them to abide by the tenancy agreement, if there is a clause in there about responsible animal ownership (there more than likely will be) then they will try and enfoece this, possibly even take them to court for injunction or eviction. If they are private tenants or home owners then environmental health will be your best bet. But the council will not spend money on a higher fence... sorry :(

it might depend where you live- OH's mum is a council tenant and the kids next door kept breaking her fence down "playing" she asked them to put in higher fences so that the kids couldnt keep hanging off them - they came a week later and put up 6 foot fences.

I'd lie... call the police and/or RSPCA and say it just went for one of my kids... with all the recent publicity they'd probably do something about it..

Even if the dog wasn't dangerous... I'd still not like the idea of it being in my garden. Basically if your kids play in the garden and the dog fouls in there then there's a possibility of my kids contracting Toxacara from the faeces... and as the dog doesn't look like it gets regular vet checks, I'd pretty much bet my life on that dog not having been wormed in a very very long time.

Your fence isn't very high, and my dad had to always make sure he had a 6 foot fences in all our properties, and even then we would have dogs escape over the fence... although it was rare. Thats a big dog... that's EASILY jump the fence.. :roll:

there is absolutely no way i would put up with ANY dog on my property.
they would only come on my garden once :evil: .

What has your neighbour said about them replacing the fences. That would be my first choice, knock on the door, explain you are not happy with the dog jumping the fence, and tell them they have to do something about it.

Try and fight for the 6ft fences hun speak to the neighbours and threaten to tell the police next time hopefully then they will be more obliged to do something, completely disagree with the above posts about lying and saying it snapped at or went for her kids, they could be perfectly friendly dogs who are well loved and that could have them put down! why would anyone want to make up such a horrible thing?! :x

Yea she is a council tenant. My neighbour just says that they are soft and wouldn't harm a fly! She has alittle boy a bit older than Olivia and she said she wouldn't have them if she thought they would harm him! They do bark if you pass the garden,im scared to walk past when they are out!

She also says the rottwieler has no teeth but im not sure what to believe as when she moved in she assured me that the dogs couldn't jump the fence!

The council are doing external work on the houses around here at the min and i know that they have put 6ft fences up on some properties (im not sure what condition the fences where in before the work)! Im gonna carry on taking pics and going to push for the fence to be highed.

DH said he will extend it if nothing is done, but why should he have to do it?

DH is going to ring on monday and bend the truth a little, we'll see what happens then!

Tnx for all you advice im very grateful

The police would never destroy a dog over growling or snapping. The fact is if it was in MY garden doing that, that's what I would do to get it removed from my property asap. The neighbour should have more control over their dogs, end of story.
Like sherlock said, Akitas are VERY territorial, what if when it comes into your garden it starts to think it's it's territory? That what those dogs are like, I wouldn't want that dog thinking my kids had no right to go in it's territory, it's a scary thought and my first priority would be my kids.

CalamityGem said:
I completely disagree with this I'm afraid when you said informing police is a bit dodgy...

... in my opinion, that dog only has to snap or bite your child ONCE for it to hurt or seriously deform your child. So your can't take the chance and hope the situation gets better or that the owner will change her way... she won't and it'll only take one time for the dog to seriously hurt you or your child and you'll wish you'd done something. It seems to be very agressive the way it patrols your garden and stares in your windows! I understand what you're saying, the dog may be hurt unnecessarily if you contact the police... but by what people have said about these dogs, you cannot risk the chance of it turning on you or your child and you have to do what's right and best for you and your family.

What I was thinking when I wrote this was that if told the dog had bitten a child or an adult then they may well possibly react more strongly and send in people who could actually then cause the dog to become aggressive and attack them. Then the repercussions could be that they shoot the dog. Worse case scenario there. OK, the owner is at fault for not controlling their dog and keeping it in their garden, but to lie outright to me does not seem right. If something serious were then to happen because of lying, what would the consequences of that be? Lying to the police about an incident is something they would take seriously.

I think its fair to inform the police there is a large dog roaming your garden and also to inform other organisations, but please remember the police are not actually the people to deal with loose dogs. That is the local dog wardens duty. Of course if told a dog had attacked a child it would be an all out emergency possibly and would mean a very different way of handling things.

At the end of the day, putting up a fence extension should keep the dog from jumping the fence. Yes it gets out, yes its is an Akita and I'd not be happy if it were in my garden either, but I'd look to solutions via fencing, RSPCA and dog warden first. Its middle of winter, children are not out playing in the back garden and a fence extension could be put up over a weekend, so its not impossible to sort out soon.

The dog will not be destroyed as it stands atm, it has done nothing to have it considered dangerous, so fencing is the only real solution here IMO.

I have every sympathy and understanding with Kelly and can appreciate her worries, but I do hope the matter can be resolved by fencing and contacting groups to help deal with such things.

sparky said:
phone the police and tell them it snapped at your child

thats wrong. im sorry but it is.

the dog could get put down if it is deemed agressive.

Squiglet said:
I'd lie... call the police and/or RSPCA and say it just went for one of my kids... with all the recent publicity they'd probably do something about it..

Even if the dog wasn't dangerous... I'd still not like the idea of it being in my garden. Basically if your kids play in the garden and the dog fouls in there then there's a possibility of my kids contracting Toxacara from the faeces... and as the dog doesn't look like it gets regular vet checks, I'd pretty much bet my life on that dog not having been wormed in a very very long time.

Your fence isn't very high, and my dad had to always make sure he had a 6 foot fences in all our properties, and even then we would have dogs escape over the fence... although it was rare. Thats a big dog... that's EASILY jump the fence.. :roll:

i keep trying to read the rest of the tread, and i then find another post that infuriates me.

your advising this member to report a dog for doing nothing wrong other than being very bored.

dogs need stimmulation, and it looks like these dogs arent getting it.

the dog SHOULD NOT BE PUNISHED!

it isnt the dogs fault, and it hasnt attempted to attack yet.

i can understand this is very worrying.

but please try and sort this out without resulting to lies which could see an end to a innocent dog

CalamityGem said:
I understand completely what you're saying and I agree that its not right to lie to the police incase the dog is hurt.

But I do think it's right the police or RSPCA should have a word with the woman and ask her to try to look after her dog. That's all. I'm not saying they should lie, just ask an authoritive person to intervene and have a word with the lady.

All I'm trying to say is that it will only take once for the dog to deform or even kill a child... maybe there isn't enough time to look for alternatives i.e. fencing etc.

Surely you agree that with a dog as dangerous as this that you can't take a chance?? Because if god forbid, something happened, then everyone would be wishing something had been done.

I think you missed my initial point entirely then. I didn't say to not contact the police about the matter, but to be truthful about the situation. I felt that lying saying the dog had attacked someone was dodgy. And could have repercussions. I also said the RSPCA would probably take an interest in the case. If it is explained in the right way, the dogs could be seen to be neglected and the owner monitored etc.

Your reply seemed to say that you agreed with others and would be happy to lie to the police to achieve action. You said

I understand what you're saying, the dog may be hurt unnecessarily if you contact the police... but by what people have said about these dogs, you cannot risk the chance of it turning on you or your child and you have to do what's right and best for you and your family.

Anyways, my opinion on it all is well stated and quite clear. I've made suggestions as to what action to take and precautions. RSPCA and the local dog warden are good places to start. The police can be contacted also but its not their place to deal with a dog in a garden. I know the breed is a guard breed and worrying but its shown no real sign of aggression as yet, so its difficult to proceed with anything involving that behaviour. They may or may not get involved and have a word with the neighbour, but it would be better if the RSPCA did that sort of thing as they have people trained to deal with oet owners and a procedure in place.

And I agree with you, I'd rather not take a chance. But action can be quickly taken and I maintain a fencing extension can be done in a weekend. OK it would be at some cost and time, but it can be done easily enough and give more peace of mind. That would be my course of action and would be a hell of a lot quicker than calling the dog warden or RSPCA and going the long route of action. I'd get the fence up but also contact the relavent groups to go see the owner and follow up on their care of the animals and so on.

i agree that the RSPCA should be contacted rather than the police.

tbh, the dog doesnt look to be in very good condition really, although it is hard to tell from on pic.

i feel for the dog, i do. it must be really bored. he/she proberly doesnt get alot of attention being 1 of 3.

try speaking to the owner again, explain your concerns, and ask if she could do somethign about it.

if it happens again, then contact the RSPCA. they will go round and have a word with her, and make her sort the situation out.

let us know how you get on

I was the one who suggested the police but I didn't say lie about it.I just meant tell them there is a large dog wondering around not under any control. Its just from experience the council don't take things seriously. I had 2 staffies running round loose in my front garden and I was worried as 1, they kept chasing my cats and 2, I live by a road and I would have hated to see the dogs hit by a car. Council basically said they wouldn't do anyhting so I phoned my local police station and they must have got in touch with the council as the dog warden came round looking for the dogs.

try the police by all means, but please be honest.

'there is a dog that keeps jumping my fence, and im worried that its temprement may be bad, could you help get the owners to control the dog'

have you tried the RSPCA?

No i havent tried the RSPCA.

My neighbours are not very aproachable, they dont believe their dogs can jump the fence, she says there are too fat :shock:

If it comes in my garden again i think i will phone the police but i will tell the truth. I wouldn't have a dog put down for no reason, all im asking is for her to keep them in her garden for the safety of my girls, they are all that matters to me!

Im going to get onto the council on monday and push for that fence but if it doesn't happen then DH will extendc it to make it safe!

Tnx for all ur advice girls, its been great

Kelly G said:
No i havent tried the RSPCA.

My neighbours are not very aproachable, they dont believe their dogs can jump the fence, she says there are too fat :shock:

If it comes in my garden again i think i will phone the police but i will tell the truth. I wouldn't have a dog put down for no reason, all im asking is for her to keep them in her garden for the safety of my girls, they are all that matters to me!

Im going to get onto the council on monday and push for that fence but if it doesn't happen then DH will extendc it to make it safe!

Tnx for all ur advice girls, its been great

im glad your going about it the right way :)

the woman seems really selfish and maby abit delusional.

let us know how you get on :)

Squiglet said:

NO! Don't lie about these things.. an innocent dog might get put down because of its incompetent owners.
The dog does not look fat from the pictures, but it is unfair to say that the dog is in bad condition by just looking at a photo. If its an old dog then often they will look terrible but actually be in good condition.

I would suggest, that a big fence is needed, and if they won't do it then i would. I would rather spend the money and make sure the kids are safe, than argue with irresposible owners. Not all Akita's are vicious, it is the way that they have been raised, they are guarding breeds so often people get them and dont train them properly so they encourage them to be aggressive. And a rotty with out teeth can still hurt! believe me i've been bitten by a gummy rotty!! :rotfl:

Take the number of the local dog warden, and next time you see it straying ring them and they shoudl collect it. then they have to pay to get it back. I'm not sure that the rspca will do anything unless there is a direct risk to traffic, or in a main area, or a risk to the animal its self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back