• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My D&C story in detail

Terrie

Reaction score
My 'positive' (as can be) D&C story.

I've decided to write this down as before my experience I could not find any real stories about exactly what people went through when they decided to opt for a D&C.

Today I am supposed to be 10weeks and 3 days pregnant. Instead I am at home, lying on my couch, my tummy is empty and my heart feels the same.

Tuesday last week we were on holiday in Corfu, I started spotting and cramping which got worse Thursday/Friday. Saturday morning we arrived home early and at 7.30am I rang NHS direct who made me an appt at my local hospital with the out of hours doctor.

When I got to the hospital I met with the dr who was extremely unsympathetic. He told me without any examination that I was experiencing a threatened MC and he sent me to the gynaecology department. Once there they examined my cervix which I was told was closed and took blood. They then told me as it was a weekend they could not scan me and they sent me home with no answers for two days.

I knew already in my heart my baby wasn't alive.

I went to the hospital on Monday morning for a scan. I lay on the bed and they started straight away, she asked me if I was sure of my dates and I said yes. She then told me I was measuring 6 weeks with no heartbeat when I should have been 9+5. She then did an internal scan which confirmed I'd had an MMC. They then sent me to sit in a room so I could cry for 20minutes then they came to go through the options. I knew already I wanted a D&C so the nurse went to check if there was a bed on the ward, there wasn't so I was sent home and told to ring back the next day to see if there was a bed.

Monday evening felt it lasted for days...

Tuesday I rang at 8.30 and they told me there was a bed and to bring in an overnight bag, I was at the hospital by 8.50. The nurse showed me to my bed and told me to wait for the dr to come see me. The doctor came at 9.20 with some forms for me to sign, a cremation agreement form, a form to agree to tissue testing, a consent form for the procedure and another form which I don't remember the details of. She then sat and explained the procedure to me fully. By which time i was in floods of tears. I was then given a wristband and sent to another department to have bloods taken. This seemed to take forever and once I was back on the ward I was told to relax as the had put me on the emergency list in surgery and they weren't sure when I would go in.

At lunch time I made a few calls and went to see my mum who works at the hospital on a different floor, this broke my day up a little and also got me off the ward whilst everybody was eating as I wasn't allowed any food or water. When I got back to the ward I sat talking to some of the women, this was great and took my mind off why I was there for a while. The anaesthetist guy came to see me to talk to me about being put under and ask me questions. *The nurse then told me I would be going into theatre between 5&6pm and took my BP etc.

At 4.45pm they told me to get changed into my gown, I went to the loo then the nurse inserted two pesseries into my cervix to open it and told me to put on paper knickers and a pad, which I did.

5.15pm my chariot arrived in the form of a bed to go down to theatre. I got on and they wheeled me through the hospital into the waiting room for surgery. I was the only bed in there, another nurse put a warm blanket on me and talked to me whilst we waited. I was then wheeled into the surgery prep room where they inserted my cannula into my hand, the anaesthetist gave me shot of something through the cannula (they told me it was their version of a gin and tonic) whilst the nurse attached wires to my chest then they placed a mask over my face and I fell asleep.

Woke up in recovery in extreme pain, the nurses quickly gave me a shot of paracetamol through my IV then, when that didn't help gave me two tablets to take. I was then wheeled back to the ward at 7.10 where Colin was waiting, i had to wiggle back onto my bed and I had my BP taken etc and then was left alone.

It took me over 3 hours to feel ready to get up and go to the loo, I had a nurse come with me which I was grateful of. I was kept in overnight and was let home wednesday lunch time after the dr had done her rounds.*

I've been signed off work for a week, I'm still in a lot of pain and I'm still bleeding. Apparently I'll start to feel better soon.

I've written this all in detail, partly so I'll remember what I went through and partly to help others who are like I was a few days ago, worried about what exactly happens when you go in for a D&C

*deep breaths* hope this helps somebody x

Aww hunni.. Big hugs to you and your OH. So thoughtful to share to help others, such a horrible time for you xxx

Went through same thing last week I was 12 weeks , my baby was cremated yesterday we decided against going been such a horrible two weeks, know how u feel and will say I'm starting to look to future know want to be a mummy just so scared happens again

Keep ur chin up , everything happens for reason that's what I keep telling myself xxx

Thanks girls, today has been a day of great achievements - as in getting out of bed, getting dressed and walking into town. I had my nails done to make me feel better and I also managed to go to asda to get a few bits.

Whoever thought doing such simple things would be so hard.

Just received a bounty email about being 10 weeks pregnant :( *sigh*

Still getting same emails arrrrr

I'm going to see bereavement councillor next week hoping that will help

I put baby scan inside a teddy and go to sleep cuddling it every night makes me smile

I sometimes don't want to get up but do and try do even small things I.e dishes etc

We have decided not to go back on pill if we fall pregnant again great this had helped me to trying just to Remb my baby and hope will have another one soon xxx

*hugs* Clare I hope you get your rainbow baby soon :( xxxx

realy sorry for ur loss sound very similar to my story altho after my erpc i was fine no pain hardly no bleeding and was up and about within 5 mins, take care and take it easy xxx

Me to terrie,

Things will start to feel better soon I promise xx

I'm so sorry Terri, I hope you feel better soon, and that you and the OH and the kids are OK. I hope that, if it's what you want, you get a super sticky bean soon xxx

I had my D&C on Tuesday........they never asked me what to do with the baby, didn't get a choice. I have a feeling there wouldn't have been much of a baby left by time I went in though as I was bleeding heavily for 3 days beforehand :(

I didn't realise you had gone through this terrie. In tears reading your story I'm sending massive hugs to you and also the other girls that have gone through this. My sister had a terrible MC at 20 weeks (baby had died at 16-17) after seeing her go through this and having to wait in a side room where I work whilst they operated on her was horrendous. I really feel for you. My sister (as you probably are now) went through hell but now over 18 months on have a beautiful little 6 month old daughter.
I know the pain won't ever go away but I hope with time you'll start to feel better
Sending lots of love and hugs to you x x x

Terri

I am so sorry for your loss. I recently experienced the same thing and was in pain when I came round but they gave me something into my cannular and I didn't feel another thing after that.

I have my fingers crossed for you that you get pregnant again soon and this one is a sticky bean.

My thoughts are with you.

Lee-Ann x

Sorry for your loss... I think you have been very brave to write your story and hopefully someone will find it of some comfort in a very scary time.
Really hope when your ready to ttc again it's your sticky xxxx

thank you firstly for sharing i didnt have the same but have suffered two losses, i had abortions at around 16 and 12 weeks due to anacephaly, i think 99% sure that its the same procedure i had done too also done asleep because of the heartbeat still being there and it being a "decision" to end the pregnancy for us rather than continue the hospital was unable to do the procedure for me, I had choice of hospital where they would induce labour (though obviously it wouldnt be same as a full labour) or the clinic, i choose the clinic on both occasions, its hard to explain the feeling of emptyness to someone else who hasnt had this done i think, and you describe it perfectly as in your heart and inside too, i think you are brave to tell your story and it is true there is very little in the way of people sharing experiances which makes it harder to imagine what will happen to you. you will feel better in a few days though the bleeding can continue for several weeks sometimes . big hugs xxxx

:hug: i still remember my mmc like it was yesterday, well done for writing it down, i hope it helped you and i'm sure it will help others xxxx

So sorry to hear this hun, i went through the same last year and its hard and heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you. xxxxx

Hi Terrie, firstly I am so sorry to hear about your loss and secondly I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience. I had a D&C yesterday and reading your story it was very similar to what happened to me. I will write about my experience in the next few days but at the moment it is still too raw to recount in detail. I am in pain emotionally and physically. Sending lots of love and hugs to you at this heartbreaking time :hug: xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back