D&C didn't quite go as planned

JJ Mum

Reaction score
Hi all, just back from hospital this evening from my D&C -Just wanted to talk to someone about it, and advise anyone going through this at the moment and miscarrys while waiting for the D&C , where the bleeding does not stop, please seek help earlier than perhaps I did as it can get really dangerous for you.

They found my baby had no heartbeat on monday, I was 11 weeks, but baby had died at 9 weeks wihout me knowing.

I had to wait till friday to have the D&C ,had pre-assesment on thursday
and then had to be at Heatherwood hospital at 730am on friday am, nothing to eat or drink from midnight, which I did.

Trouble Is I started cramping up,at 10pm, which turned out to be labour style contractionsevery two mins for two mins, (never had labour before so didn't realise till they told me after, bloody painful), started bleeding about midnight and ended up sitting on the toilet bleeding like a tap for 2 hours, I got worried and rang my mum and woke her up (she was luckily up from cornwall with my sister), and asked her how much blood should you expect , (she had a 10 week miscarriage years ago), she thought it should be lots but as a bit worried she came over to check, I was a mess so got in a cool bath and the water just went totally red, so I got back on the toilet still pouring, and couldn't make a big sanitary towel last 20 secs! So Mum decided to take me in to A&E. I rang my hubby who works nights and called him back to have the kids whe we went.

I was chucking up in a plastic tub by this point and laying on the landing, and turns out heatherwood don't have A&E dept anymore!! We found out when we got there, and noone would help us there- and at 430am, it was too early for the day surgery where I was due at 730am! We then drove to Royal Berks in reading chucking as I went sitting on two towels, (still flooded my mums car seat), and then they wheeled me into A&E where I then was in such a mess they moved me to re-suss, on oxegen and I was soo cold and shaking voilently, still contracting, while they tried to clear some of the clots to ease the pain, I only got to 1.5 cm dilated, (HOW DO YOU NATURAL LABOUR GIRLS DO IT? I WAS A REAL WOOSIE - FULL RESPECT TO YOU) - They said all my veins had shutdown and collapsed and so I have now holes and bruises everywhere where they tried. I ended up with 5 canulas in arms and elbows, and lots of bags of saline to rehydrate me (well they said nil by mouth from midnight!!) and then blood presure through the floor and haemoglobin way down too, so they gave me blood transfusion to replace two litres blood, and then once in a better state and I had the emergency D&C at 830am, and then cause I had the transfusion , I had to stay a day, my haemoglobin went up this am when restested, so no more blood needed which was great and I could go home, got back at 5pm today, feel knackered and need to take iron tablets 3 times a day for next 4 weeks and get blood retested next week.

Please try to seek help earlier than I did if you continually bleed, it can be so dangerous for you. Jenni

Omg you poor poor thing - what a horrendous time you are going through. Huge :hug: a million times over xx

aww, bless JJ :hug:
sounds very similar to me before my D&C, I started finally mc properly the night before I was due in hospital.... perservered as long as I could do at home before getting a 999 crew out....
if u need to ofload u know where I am :hug:

Oh gosh Jenni, that sounds horrendous! I'm so glad you were eventually able to get the help you needed. Hope you recover quickly, although I know the emotional scars take a lot longer. x

Aw jenni I'm so sorry it's ended this way for you. Just wanna give you big big big big hugs!

Thanks girls, do you know I think all that mess has helped as, I haven't really had the chance to think about what happened, only had a few moments on the ward when I was feeling alone, I guess I will find out the next bit now I'm back at home, but as I stayed on a Gyney ward with 3 others, I realized actually how lucky I was in the end.

One lady was having an op before having radio therapy for breast cancer next week, the other had just had a hysterectomy and having throat surgery in 6 weeks time too, and a younger girl on her first pregnancy had a silent pregnancy at 8 weeks found by a scan and was raced in due to pain, as her pregnancy also found a ovarian cyst grew from 3cm to 20 cm , they said the size of a babys head, and wrapped around one ovary and so she had that ovary and the baby removed by C-section so they could remove the cyst in one peice.

~Just puts my problems into perspective , and I realised how lucky I am, maybee this will help me emotionally

I guess compared to others, yes u are lucky, but that doesn't mean ur experience isn't just as awful or as important :hug:

:hug: Massive hugs hunny and I just want to say how sorry I am again :(

Oh my goodness, you poor thing :( So glad you're ok... and I can't believe they made you get from Heatherwood to Royal Berks on your own :shock: I know Ascot and Reading well and that's quite a drive :hug:

So sorry it was such an awful experience for you x

Oh hun, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad your on the mend now though, must of been an awful and terrifying experience xx

Sounds a lot like what happened me, they sent me home to m/c naturally, and omg the bleeding was awful, I was having massively painful contractions and we had to throw out our mattress because I'd soaked the whole thing through with blood.
I passed the sac at home and THEN FINALLY they said they were going to give me a d&c anyway!!!
They could have spared me the whole ordeal!!!

I'm sorry you had such a bad time of it sweetheart, don't let it put you off ttc again in the future though
xxx

I'm really very sorry to hear about what u are going thru, big hugs for u, it must be dreadful xxx

Good god, you poor thing. I really hope you feel better soon, what a horrible experience.

I am in Royal Berks tomorrow for a D&C - I would have come to visit you if you were still there.

(((Hugs))) So sorry for all the pain youve gone through both pysically and emoitonally ..... Stay stong xxx

Hi Lillie, Good luck for yours tomorow dont be out off by my story, you will be in really good hands, they really were lovely in there, They had 4 ladies booked in for D&C when I ended up going in, and the nurses on the best you could get!! They really looked after you. You can take your mobile and use it on the ward now, which I found really helped as you were not alone, as you could text all day long if you wanted. Take care and go easy after tomorow - Jenni XX

Aw hon, I'm so, so sorry u have had to go through that - how scary. Big hugs and u look after urself xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back