Mums, what do you wish you'd known?

Ok, Some things I can think of that haven't been said:

Don't waste money on buying branded expensive sanitry towels. You go through them so quick. The supermarket brand super cheap ones are perfectly fine.. 14p a pack!? No brainer (its what the hospital offer too) Oh and buy loads. You could be bleeding for 4 weeks.

Run down your freezer whilst still pregnant and cook meals in bulk that you can then freeze and just bung in the microwave - cooking a meal is hard bloody work when you and OH are shattered. Especially important if you have other kiddies to feed! Also, stock up on carton UHT milk. I know its not as pleasent as fresh but it really could be a life saver!

Fill an online shopping basket with your essentials so all you need to do is pay and get it delivered.

Even if you plan to breastfeed, buy a couple of ready made formular cartons, just in case! Sometimes, even with every ounce of effort BF is just not possible. Best to have a back up ready.

About the dignity thing. Fold it up nicely and leave it under your pillow at home, seriously. I got so upset because all I wanted was skin to skin with my baby (in hospital a week, baby in NICU away from me for 5 days after birth) I felt I just couldn't bare all. WRONG. You see more boob walking down the highstreet. Get them out and enjoy that precious time. You can't get it back.

This may be gross but I don't care lol Lady care/deodorising wipes can be your best friend. Especially if you have unexpectant visitors and don't have time for a shower!!
- Roll on deodorant is a good idea too. I end up spluttering myself to death with spray lol Cant be too nice for baby either. Obvious I know but oh well :p

I'll update if I can think of more :D x

Don't waste money on buying branded expensive sanitry towels. You go through them so quick. The supermarket brand super cheap ones are perfectly fine.. 14p a pack!? No brainer (its what the hospital offer too) Oh and buy loads. You could be bleeding for 4 weeks.

Run down your freezer whilst still pregnant and cook meals in bulk that you can then freeze and just bung in the microwave - cooking a meal is hard bloody work when you and OH are shattered. Especially important if you have other kiddies to feed! Also, stock up on carton UHT milk. I know its not as pleasent as fresh but it really could be a life saver!

Fill an online shopping basket with your essentials so all you need to do is pay and get it delivered.

Even if you plan to breastfeed, buy a couple of ready made formular cartons, just in case! Sometimes, even with every ounce of effort BF is just not possible. Best to have a back up ready.

About the dignity thing. Fold it up nicely and leave it under your pillow at home, seriously. I got so upset because all I wanted was skin to skin with my baby (in hospital a week, baby in NICU away from me for 5 days after birth) I felt I just couldn't bare all. WRONG. You see more boob walking down the highstreet. Get them out and enjoy that precious time. You can't get it back.

This may be gross but I don't care lol Lady care/deodorising wipes can be your best friend. Especially if you have unexpectant visitors and don't have time for a shower!!
- Roll on deodorant is a good idea too. I end up spluttering myself to death with spray lol Cant be too nice for baby either. Obvious I know but oh well :p

Fantastic advice! Think I am going to jot these down for reference in december, lol! :lol:xx

This may be gross but I don't care lol Lady care/deodorising wipes can be your best friend. Especially if you
have unexpectant visitors and don't have time for a shower!!

Totally agree with the above and I'd like to adda tip that my midwife gave me when I was suffering from very sore boobs when my milk came in and that is to wear 2 yes 2 good fitting maternity bras. It really helps. And stock up on lots of breast pads

Only bleed for 4 weeks? It's not that uncommon to bleed for 6 to 8 either!

What do you wish you'd known about the birth (try not to scare us!)?
How I just got on with it, while it was rough on me at the time I didn't really know it was rough and really just got on with it. It wasn't until afterwards that I realised what I had done and gone through and I'm so proud of how I managed at the time.
What do you wish you'd known in the first few weeks of being a mum?
I wish I had cooked and frozen or bought more frozen meals. Trying to find time to eat at the same time as OH is difficult even more so after having to cook too. We have to take turns to eat so LO has us to hand.
And when baby is asleep try to find sleep time with your OH. Just lying next to each other is such a comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back