One thing you wish you'd been told...

Sam's Mum

Reaction score
...before you started. Whether you're breast or bottle feeding, is there anything you wish you'd known that would have made things easier in those first few weeks - making up bottles, sterilising, choosing bottle types, breastfeeding in public?

I'd always planned to breastfeed Sam, but before he was born I was always under the impression that I'd stick him on there and it would be easy. We had latching problems from the start as I wasn't given any sort of help in the hospital (I didn't know that's what it was though - I just assumed the unbearable pain was normal :lol:) so I ended up with cracked nipples for weeks, and then had people telling me that they found it so easy - so I felt like I was completely failing at the one thing I thought I'd be ok with.

I wish someone had told me that it can be tough to begin with, that you have to be prepared to spend the first couple of weeks permanently glued to the sofa (wasn't a bad thing as long as hubby was around to bring me cups of tea :lol:) and that Lansinoh nipple cream existed! But it was worth it all for me as we carried on until Sam was 1 with no problems.

Last edited:
Breastfeeding:

That it doesn't always come naturally, and is hard work

That there are such things as BFing MWs & counsellors that can help

Things get MUCH easier after the first few weeks.

Really though, it was friends like Lisa who were invaluable in me sticking with BFing. I couldn't have done it without the support and advice tbh :)

Breastfeeding:

That it doesn't always come naturally, and is hard work

That there are such things as BFing MWs & counsellors that can help

Things get MUCH easier after the first few weeks.

Really though, it was friends like Lisa who were invaluable in me sticking with BFing. I couldn't have done it without the support and advice tbh :)

I totally agree with that! I wish I'd got over my embarrassment and found myself some sort of support group instead of hiding away feeding where nobody could see me for the first few weeks! I never thought I'd be the sort of person to just sit down and feed wherever I felt like it (with a nursing cover if I'm out somewhere), but it wasn't long before I felt comfortable enough to go out all day knowing that I could feed anywhere - and without exposing anything :lol:

I wish someone had told me that breast feeding does get easier as both baby and mother learn how to do it better. I BF both my boys but only for a week or so each as i felt defeated coz they didn't latch too well. I'm gonna try and stick it out for longer this time. xx

This is something I am worried about.. I am planning to breastfeed (fingers crossed baby latches on) but I have no-one to ask questions or get advice from.. Nobody I know has breastfed.. Apart from my mummy with me but times have changed from then.. Another thing being I know the hospital won't be there to give me much help as mums are in and out now.. Gives me comfort knowing there are lots of you on here with lots of experience to help me when my time comes xx

You can ask us girls hun :) I had a lot of problems BFing and I know MervsMum has some qualifications too so can give advice. We'll be here to support you whatever you decide :hug:

This is something I am worried about.. I am planning to breastfeed (fingers crossed baby latches on) but I have no-one to ask questions or get advice from.. Nobody I know has breastfed.. Apart from my mummy with me but times have changed from then.. Another thing being I know the hospital won't be there to give me much help as mums are in and out now.. Gives me comfort knowing there are lots of you on here with lots of experience to help me when my time comes xx

If I'd found this forum back then I think things would have been so much easier. Mervs Mum is our breastfeeding guru - you'll be fine! And they were much more helpful in the hospital when I had Toby - they didn't want people going home until they knew the babies were feeding well, so you should have lots of time to ask questions :hug:

I too wish I'd been told how hard BF'ing was going to be and that even after I'd given a bottle in desperation I could have still BF. I'd had it drummed into me my MW's that once baby had had a bottle I wouldn't get him back to the breast. Which I now know is a load of rubbish but brought my BF'ing experience to an abrupt halt

^ A few of my friends have done that too. I didn't even realise combination feeding was an option. Probably my own fault for not doing enough reading about it all before Sam was born but that was only because I thought it was something that would come naturally.

It's so easy to believe everything that midwives and health visitors say when it's your first baby, as you just assume they know best - I've been lucky and mine have actually been really good, but from what I've heard some of them don't actually know all that much about breastfeeding x

Last edited:
Thanks, I remember being completly freaked out at my booking in appointment (9 weeks pregnant) and the midwife basically told me I HAD to breastfeed, she was an old bat:shakehead: put the fear of God into me I was just getting my head round having a baby altogether and she was trying to tell me what to do after baby had been born when I wasn't even out of my danger zone yet:eh:.. Kind of made me feel like everyone did it and did it well, now I have been looking at that section in my pg book it has made me feel a lot more relaxed about the whole subject.. I'm thinking my parentcraft classes will maybe touch on the subject too, but always good to know I have some answers from experience with a click on here:)

Thanks Nic :hug:

Seems a bit daft now seen as though I have given the same advice many times over about BFing but I wish I'd known just how small a newborn's tummy is so I hadnt fallen into the 'have they had enough' trap.

I've done my Association of Breastfeeding Mothers Mother Supporter training so I'm always happy to offer support to BFing mums and mum's to be thinking of BFing. In fact my name is in the Autumn/Winter ABM Magazine that just arrived today!! :yay:

:yay:

Mervs Mum
Moderator and Queen of Breasts

What are they saying about you? :D

Last edited:
Lisa Queen of all thing knocker related! :D

No it's just got a list of the new Mother Supporters. It's a few months now but the magazine is quarterly.

when i was bfing rhys (2 weeks) i gave up coz it hurt.. nobody told me the pain would go so i gave up.

when i was bfing ffion (5 months) i wish i had more advice on building up my supply to keep her satisfied.

if there is ever a next time (which im sure there wont be) i will find myself a bfing 'guru' aka lisa :rofl: and ask a million and one questions and take on any advice/support i can get from bfing mums to succeed at least 18 months.

bfing is one thing that i get upset about because i failed both times and i may never get another chance to do it again :(

Erm....you didnt fail. :shakehead: You wanted to BF and you did and by anyone's measures 5 months is excellent. :)

I think you did brilliantly to get to 5 months

Lisa, will you help me out? I have it in my head that i don't have time to BF the new baby with Jacob being so young. I just feel like i will be too busy with feeding the new baby to give him the attention he will need. Is BFing dooable with such a young child to look after xx

Well I cant say this from experience of course BUT I have one friend who's youngest 2 (of 4) are 15 months apart and she's exclusively BFd them all for a minimum of 6 months. I'm not sure why it's harder than bottle feeding them. You still have to sit and feed them with a bottle and where you might feed more frequently with BF, you dont have any preparation to do so that kind of makes up for what you might gain. When you do sit and BF both hands are free to put one round a toddler and the other to hold a book so you can have time all together reading or watching a favourite program. You can BF wearing a sling too so you'd be able to crack on with the toddler while feeding - you cant do that with a bottle unless you're happy propping it up which I wouldnt be.

You'll need to wash, sterilise and make up bottles at some point so I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other on time. You could argue that someone else can feed the baby for you. Yes but you can express after a month or so and maybe I'm a bit odd but I never wanted anyone else to feed Hebe in the fist month or so anyway! BFing during the night keeps crying to a minimum if not eliminating it all together as they dont have to wait for a kettle to boil so they're could be less likely to wake the other children up.

It's the part I worry about the least! I worry about the new baby waking Hebe or not being as good as her at sleeping!

Edited to add: I can understand why someone might go automatically to FF with a second (or subsequent) baby because you know what you're doing so it's one less worry/pressure to put on yourself much the same as me automatically going with BF because it's one thing I feel confident about in the crazy newborn days!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back