One thing you wish you'd been told...

:yay: for lisa!
and tezzy - i think you done amazingly!

i wish someone had told me my milk might not come through :( having a hormonal disorder i did think it was a possibility but i never had any milk, and maddi wasn't weeing and pooing for the first 3days, when i switched to bottle feeding.

like sam's mum i wish i'd had more bf-ing support (and milk lol) and not a mw and hv who just put bottle feeders down :(

for bottle feeding, i wish i'd been told about the amazing anti-colic bottles, like MAM's (switched after a few weeks when she had a little trapped wind) and doctor browns.
and also, i wish someone had told me about the good routine you can find when bottle feeding, we have always washed in the evening, sterilised, filled with boiling water then add powder when needed. if it wasn't for the forums, i'd been so confused!

I also think it would be good for women to know it's not all or nothing. So many girls have talked to me and said they were having a rough time with BFing so they switched only to be told (when it was too late) that combination feeding ie some BF and some FF can work really well too. I know of a girl with twins and a toddler who really wanted to BF. I'd say that would be an occasion when you'd definitely be concerned about managing to feed 2 AND look after the LO. Combination feeding was a god send to her and gave her that much needed flexibility in a very busy family.

So long as you understand the effect mixed feeding has on milk production you can make it work for you :)

lisa i think that is an excellent key point! before chatting to you all i never knew about combination feeding either, i was just told it's all or nothing x

I think it's a bit of a naughty trick on the part of some (not all) MWs and HVs....usually the ones piling on the pressure.....

I did research quite a lot about b/fing and i knew it would hurt but omg i never knew how much!!

I wish i was told that in the first couple of weeks it is normal for them to feed for almost 3hrs straight, mostly in the evenings.

No-one in my family breastfed for very long and i didn't have a lot of support from my family, they didn't think i would last more than a few days, i am glad i'm such a stubborn person!

Thanks lisa, i appreciate the info :hug: I am gonna give it a good go! I really feel like i failed the other two despite giving it my best shot. Your right about the washing and sterilising bottles, although i have a system now and manage it without a fuss, it still takes up time....valuable time!

I'm really starting to worry how i am going to give two really young children the time and attention they need, while still making sure my eldest still knows i love him and he's also special. I just wanna be the best i can be for all my sproglets and make sure they don't go without. I know i will manage, coz you just have to but i wanna do it really well xx

We'll be fine matey!! If someone as daft as Alice can do it then we must be able to right?!

I didn't know any of that either, I did feel the midwife put a lot of pressure on me at the beginning, but I suppose it is her job to put the points accross.. I will definitly be giving it a shot

Considering how many posters etc they have up pushing BF in my area they've not actually given me a single bit of info about it yet. Although in my notes they've ticked and signed that it's all been discussed. xx

I know I'm new, so don't mean to butt-in, but a friend of mine is a BF peer group advisor which she started doing after her first baby was born. She was so fed up of the lack of information available that she got herself qualified. Just commenting, really, that there are groups out there and some really brilliant people to provide support, but it just doesn't seem common enough.

Another friend had a really hellish time of it when she was trying to BF and her midwife was just :roll: awful. Awful. The fact she was asking myself and a few other mutual friends - who have no children either - for advice made me nervous for her. I hope you all get the support you need - sounds like this really is a great site for all that though! :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back