Mothers!!

x_PlaceboDanii

Reaction score
Im seriously fed up with mine at the moment!:wall2:

As much as i value her input on most things since this is my first baby, but shes really rubbing me up the wrong way with this whole name business!, so me and OH finally picked a name we both agree on and like, we've decided to call our little boy Sebastian Edward, but shorten his first name to Seb when he's small, the Edward is OH's middle name and his father's who's no longer with us so we decided to give it to Seb to carry it on.

Well, i text my mum and tell her the good news only for it to be completely picked to pieces. Her excuse was that the name was 'for gay people' and that he'll get bullied a lot when he goes to school! and that she'll feel embarrassed shouting Sebastian in public!. Instead she suggests too 'ordinary' names!..She wants us to call him William, ive got nothing against the name William but its so popular and i dont want an overly popular name, i want it somewhat unique but she just doesn't seem to understand!, Matthew is alright if your from the 80's (No offence if theres anyones kids called Matthew), thats all shes suggesting over and over again no matter how many times i've said no, or i dont like those she just doesn't seem to take the hint!:wall2:

Should i take any notice of my mums comments or go ahead and name my son what i want him to be called?..How do you deal with this kinda thing!

Name ur son what you want im sure in time it will grow on her.
Ps that was a name I considered and only dismissed because we came up with Elliot which I love

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

Completely ignore her - your mum is giving her opinion because you have kept her in the loop regarding the name. We decided not to discuss names with anyone for the very reason that everyone has an opinion on everything you choose. If she brings it up again tell her it is not up for discussion, the decision has been made.

She will get used to the name - I love it by the way, however I must admit that I do not understand why people pick names to shorten them, each to their own though!

It's not a name I would personally pick but I do like it. If you and you're partner are happy then that's all that matters. You could pick a more 'normal' name and she might not like that either!

Your baby = your decision!

I'd tell her you've picked, so she has to just get used to it, its not up for discussion x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

hes your child not your mums so you if wish to call him seb which i find very nice then go head of your mum needs to think about the way shes acting my daughter is called Alisha a very nice not many people call their children i suppose x

Your baby your choice end of

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

Your mum had her chance naming babies when she had you! Your baby, your choice!

We didn't tell anyone our name as knew people would give opinions, when I told mum after C was born, she said 'oh...' but now she loves it.

Seb will grow on her and it's not gay (that was a bit rude of her but she probably said that to put you off it) stick to the names you want!

ignore her, sebastian is on my list of names id use as i like slightly unusual names that arent common but arent daft.

Can I meet your mother please? My son is called Sebastian! Lol :) he's Sebastian Alexander. It made no difference to me what anyone thought of it, he's my son! Lol :) I shorten it to Seb, Bas and Bastian. I love calling his name and so many people have commented nice things about it!

You name him what you want him name him. At the end of the day he is your Son and not hers. My brother called his youngest lad Harry and me and my mum thought it was an old fashioned name but it grew on us and we couldnt imagine called anythng else as he is a Harry.

I agree with the other ladies. It is up to you what you name your children. I am sure the name will grow on your mother and she will be fine once she is used to it. I thinki is a really nice name.

Hun it's ur choice at the end of the day my son is also called harry and I love that no one else in my family is called it, luckily my mom is quite supportive and loved that I named my son after my great grandfather it's down to you and ur partner at the end of the day xxx p.s I used to have a friend called sebastian and we used to call him basil! Lol (as in basil! Lol)

No one elses business wot u call ur baby, tough if they dont like! :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back