Moses basket or not?

knopk@

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I am in 2 minds about moses basket, dont know whether to get one or not.

The deal is that we are getting a cot, not a crib, so baby might feel lost in it.

But then I was thinking of using carrycot.

The problem with moses basket is that its quite soft and if I need to carry it downstairs (3 flights!), I am scared it will bend.

Dont know what to do really, they are not that expensive (30 quid at Argos), but do I really need one?

The only time I used one with my first born was if he was sleeping in the first few weeks when we had visitors round...I had him in moses basket in front room so that everyone didnt have to traipsed into his bedroom!! After that he bloody hated it anyway so moved him straight into the cot, he didnt mind at all!! xx

We had a moses basket an used it up to our baby was 6 months and then went into his cot. We carried it up and down stairs a few times a day and it was fine. If you are getting a combination pram system then you could get the carrycot and use that. We didn't have this with our pram so we needed a moses basket and we couldn't have lived without it!

im using one...I just dont like the thought of such a small thing in huge cot

I'm just going to use the pram carry cot so not bothering with a moses basket.

I had a moses basket upstairs and used the carrycot from the pram downstairs. This was a godsend because I ended up with an emergancy section so could barely take my LO up and down the stairs let alone a moses basket as well!

Last edited:
I had a moses basket upstairs and used the carrycot from the pram downstairs. This was a godsend because I ended up with an emergancy section so could barely take my LO up and down the stairs let alone a moses basket as well!

I did the same, after my emergency section, i actually went and bought another moses basket for downstairs. It was ok while my husband was on paternity leave but once i was on my own it was too much.

We specifically chose a pram that has a carry cot attachment (had to buy a seperate sleeping mattress!). I feels sturdier than a normal moses basket so hoping it will last longer as we don't have any space for a cot until we move!

We had one with Lennon and I found it handy to let him fall aslep in in the evenings while we were sat in the lounge watching telly and then we would take him to our bedroom in it when we went to bed. I wouldn't say it was necessity, just handy, but if you are getting a pram with carrycot then you can jsut use that.

When my OH and I went to look at prams and carrycots and such. We were told not to use the Carrycot as the main sleeping place for the baby... cannot remember why. They said for the odd night if you are staying at friends but that they are not made for regular sleeping....

but then that could just be the brand we bought..... or he could of been talking out of his bottom. :)

i going to used a moses basket then baby same height as me in bed and i can watch over him x

I was gonna use carrycot but a friend of mine pointed out that it is quite heavy for schleping up and down the stairs. Have decided that I'll get a crib for upstairs (found one on offer for same price as a moses basket) which is a bit roomier than a moses basket so hopefully bubs won't grow out of it too soon. I'll use the carrycot for putting bubs down during the day if necessary.

We are still using ours but just putting the moses basket in the cot. x

We had a moses basket but Georgie hated it - it became the running joke of I need her to wake up so I will just put her in her moses basket lol

We use the carrycot on the pram for daytime naps (when she will go down) and a gliding crib upstairs which she loves x

im going to use my moses basket downstairs and take it to bed at night and put it in the cot next to the bed, iv also got a lie flat bouncer for when shes awake as i want to establish sleep time in the moses basket and not play time... i made that mistake with me son and he didnt sleep through untill he was 18 months old!!!! not this time lol!!!!

we have a moses basket in the front room, a cot in the nursery for when she moves into her room and a crib in our bedroom. ive never been that greedy before but i already have the cot from my last baby, i had bought the moses basket a pink one because our last one is blue and where having a girl.
My lovely daddy came back from afganistan and ordered us a crib, mattress and bedding from mothercare it was a surprise =) a delivery man just brought it to my door i didnt know what it where x

We've got a quinny buzz and were also told not to use the carrycot for regular sleeping due to the fact its not ventilated enough. Moses baskets are made of wicker and allow air to flow through. x

DH and I were having a quick look in Mama's & Papa's yesterday. We were thinking might get a crib for upstairs cos they look bigger than the moses baskets, so hopefully will last longer. I was thinking I'd just be able to use the pram for down stairs.

xxx

I think if I have another Id get a crib. I liked that you can see through the bars of them and rock them. Theyre also bigger so baby lasts longer in them. I never thought about a crib until after she was born and would have much prefered it.

Then the crib would be upstairs, the moses basket downstairs and the carry cot on the pram. Again, which a section it was difficult to move the carry cot off the pram due to its weight.

we used a moses basket in our room which was never moved then a crib then a cot we had a baby bouncer chair for dows stairs and they are great for weaning as well xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back