mohammed teddy bear *edit* poll added

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kimbo, Nov 29, 2007.

?

Which punishment would you rather take?

1. 40 lashes

2. Fine

3. 6 months in jail

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. HappyAlice

HappyAlice Well-Known Member

Even if she has been a bit silly, or thoughtless, couldn't someone just take her to oneside and teach her how it might offend people, bit more productive than locking her up or whipping her. That's what is so outrageous about this.

2. Freya

Freya Well-Known Member

I believe that she had done something similar to this before ? So that she had been warned and that is why the reaction is as it is.

I agree with Kina - I think she should have done more research before she went.

3. Krystal

Krystal Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why it is offensive to call a bear after muhammed? :think:

4. Minxy

Minxy Well-Known Member

Attempt to create Muhammad in physical form is forbidden in Islam.

That's why there was all the hoo-ha with the Danish cartoons last year.

5. Sammystar

Sammystar Well-Known Member

If that's true then she's just stupid. That's not to say she deserves what she's getting now though. Poor woman!

Still, surely to goodness she had SOME idea about the culture she was living in?

Whether she named the bear or not. She allowed the kids to name it! :doh:

The whole thing is completely out of hand though. I feel so sorry for her.....
    I hope she gets home OK.

6. Krystal

so the cartoons did recreate Muhammad? cos they were pics of him. But naming a teddy bear isn't recreating Muhammed. It's just giving the teddy the same name :think: No matter how I try I cannot even begin to see it from their point of views.

However you look at it... its pathetic. And as for coming out with knives and banners thats pathetic too.

7. uncle_bens

uncle_bens Well-Known Member

I like teddies

#67 uncle_bens, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  8. glitzyglamgirl

glitzyglamgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing the name thing up, I wasnt sure on that one :lol:

I agree that you shouldnt blame the religion, I think when extremism rears its head as it does in EVERY religion, (I know some extremist pagans who are pretty f***ed up in their views hehe) its a product of the social and political climate and usually nothing to do with the religion itself, but the religion is used and manipulated by others, leaders, to their own agenda. Its happened in almost every mainstream religion through the generations - when the Romans used Christianity to stamp out civil disobedience and those pesky Pagans, proclaim their emporers as the only voice of one God to control the masses, and many other examples of religion being twisted and changed for the same reason - to control the masses and manipulate people into a way of thinking. So I dont blame religion for anything - I blame the manipulators of that religion.

Its also worth noting that the "war" between Christianity and Islam has been going on for hundreds of years, and the Christians started it :lol:

9. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Has she been charged with insulting religion or not? If there was no religion to insult what would she be charged with?

10. uncle_bens

If you look through History, there have been so many times when Muslims and Christians lived together perfectly peacefully, like in Spain, Al Andalus! The contributed to the culture, architecture and there were no civil wars then. When you bring in politics there's always an issue.

I'm not sure i understand Lou, u mean if there wa sno religion there'd be no problem coz there wouldnt be anythign to insult? If there where no black people there'd be no Klu Klux clan, so lets eradicate them?

11. Gemma & Jake

Gemma & Jake Well-Known Member

It's pathetic. I feel really sorry for her.

12. kazlin

kazlin Well-Known Member

It certainly is pathetic! I get so angry hearing about stories like this! :x

13. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

I didn't call for the eradication of religion. I'm not being dragged into a discussion about race so please do not question my opinions by throwing around comments about the Klu Klux clan. I have spoken my opinion and to sum it up I believe that religion is to blame for what has happened to this woman. I however also apprecitae that religion can be a comfort and way of life for alot of people and I respect that, I don't agree with it, but I respect it.

:roll: now get off my case :rotfl:

14. Squiglet

Squiglet Well-Known Member

The whole Al Andalus thing is so funny :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: TAT is totally right... Muslims lived in this part of Spain and further north for hundreds of years and they brought amazing amounts of culture and education to the world. But there is, celebrated here, every year, when the Christians defeated the Moors and eradicated them from Spain. Its laughable because the Christians were quite vicious about it too... where the Moors were living in peace and most places under muslim control lived good, rich lives... but because Spain is a very Christian country... the moors are still regarded as the evil aggressors.. and this is still taught to children at school :shock: What most people don't know is that it was the Moors in this part of Spain that were responsible for the Renaissance. While the Christian world were still living in the dark ages, this part of Spain was rich in culture, diveristy, had running water for the masses.

I also want to point out.. that one of the driving forces behind the Nazi movement was Christianity... it was the fact that Jews had been responsible for the death of Jesus Christ which was used to incite hatred towards the Jews... BUT... because this belief was not widely held by the rest of the Christian world, history has negated it and people realised that the Nazi movement was really only the crazy mindset of one loony who used religion to back up his beliefs... But the whole German nation fell under this belief 60 years ago... so is it really so unbelievable that other countries would be the same?...

Its not so much that religion is responsible for all the troubles in the world... it's just the crazy loons who hold vast political power end up using it as a way to incite hatred and fear among the general population. Then laws are passed which reduce peoples liberties and before you know it, you end up with a country that is too afraid to speak out against injustices.

15. uncle_bens

Lets all hold hands :hug: :rotfl:

#75 uncle_bens, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  16. Krystal

i think lou was referring to religion in general not muslims or islam exclusively.

17. mummykay

mummykay Well-Known Member

lets all agree to disagree, us on our own arent gonna fix all the rubbish goin on this world so can we please give it a rest, its gettin boring goin over the same arguments :roll:

18. Krystal

if you find the topic boring don't read it :D

19. Squiglet

Squiglet Well-Known Member

pssf.... Eastenders and Coronation Street threads :roll: :roll: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ergo not read it... hehehee

20. mummykay

mummykay Well-Known Member