mohammed teddy bear *edit* poll added

Yeah you're right but these people go to mad countries and expect to be treated as if they are still in England. Its like the journalists and aid workers that get kidnapped, in my mind they are kind of leaving themselves wide open to it by being there in the first place.

I read a really good book not so long ago about an Iraqi woman who was kidnapped and sent to one of Saddams torture prisons. She was released and wrote a book about it. I can't remember what it was called. I'll have a think :think:

The book was called Mayada. Daughter of Iraq.

Really interesting book. Very upsetting and graphic but interesting.

Its stupid, but at least she onlt got 15 days and not the 40 lashings, its stupid religeous crap like this, is that I chose to be ATHIEST AND PROUD!

People take religeon and their faith too far at times and they wonder why the world is fighting

I can't say I'm an Atheist because although I don't believe in god I can't say I don't believe in immaterial things like spirits and ESP. I'm sure my cat uses ESP to know when I'm opening a can of tuna no matter where she is :lol:

I think if I had to label myself I'd lean more towards agnostic but I prefer not to label myself atall :wink:

It is true that religion causes alot of trouble in the world but it also gives alot of people hope and comfort and a meaning to life so I can see its not all bad.

This is just Religion gone mad...
Muslims are allowed to name their kids Mohammed, and yet they dont get 50 lashings.Its exactly the same crime.
Its just because she wasn't muslim.
Racist Much?

Lets hope something good comes out of this and it acts as a wake up call to people about the dangers of religion and how extreme it has become. don't remember there being nonsense like this before 911 do you?

Maybe i just never noticed before?

thats so true Lou - before 911 i didnt really have a clue as to the extremity of religion - it just seems to be gettin more and more fanatical tho??

I feel really bad for her, for a start she didnt name the bear, a kid did and theyve stood forward and said so too!! But yet she still get the blame? The they say we are ignorant to there religion...yet it was a muslim child who named the bear?!!?!? :roll:

Most muslims arent even offended anyway and think all this is rubbish too...its just doo gooders saying it will offend people when it wont! :shakehead:

LaulLaul said:
This is just Religion gone mad...
Muslims are allowed to name their kids Mohammed, and yet they dont get 50 lashings.Its exactly the same crime.
Its just because she wasn't muslim.
Racist Much?

:clap:

I think it's religion gone mad...again! Religious fanatics really get on my pip! :x

If someone was offened by calling a bear John the Baptist would people go, ohhh its those crazy extreme Christians. A minority of people find it offensive and we should therefore treat it like that i.e not making it a v.religion conversation

Last edited:
TeenAsmaTeam said:
Its not the religion (which i can tell from SOME posts is what is felt)

Its some Sudanese people taken it too far, think about it, her lawyer is sudanese, the people supporting her are sudanese (and muslim). Its obvious that this is not offensive to Most People. In the religious sense seeing as i'm one of the like two muslims on the forum i'd like to say. THIS IS NOT AGAINST THE RELIGION, or offensive or wateva, we don't worship Muhammad (saw) so you can use the name. However i'm not gonna apologise for someone else's actions coz there the same religion (i'm not saying thats wats wanted).

If someone was offened by calling a bear John the Baptist would people go, ohhh its those crazy extreme Christians. A minority of people find it offensive and we should therefore treat it like that i.e not making it a v.religion conversation

Well its a bit like taking the head Dragon of the Klu Klux Klan and saying that he is the representation of the Christian faith...
:rotfl:

If you want it more aptly put... and much more hilariously so...

Go here... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i9u-Elt ... re=related

Honestly you'll all understand its not the religion.. but the media.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Interesting input T.A.T.

I've got muslim friends at work who have all said that they think what's happened is far-fetched, and one girl claimed to have a teddy as a child with the same name.

Any belief system/religion is open to extremism. The media just LOVE a story like this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7121025.stm

They are out on the streets in their thousands now, calling for her execution....... :shock: :shock:

I have to say it was pretty dumb of her to name the teddy bear Mohammed. I mean, did she not realise it might upset a few people? She's in Sudan for crying out loud! :doh: :doh: :doh:

Obviously though, the reaction we are seeing is utterly over the top, but it's not the first time this sort of thing has happened. Remember the Danish cartoonists?

:wall: :wall: :roll: :roll:

she didnt name the bear....!!!!

It was a muslim child...thats why this is all so stupid...its obviestly not that well known if the child did it...if any one needs to be punished its the idiots that are saying she needs to be killed! After all there religion is based on peace!! :|

jenna said:
she didnt name the bear....!!!!

It was a muslim child...thats why this is all so stupid...its obviestly not that well known if the child did it...if any one needs to be punished its the idiots that are saying she needs to be killed! After all there religion is based on peace!! :|

Actually the class of 21 kids voted on it, I think out of them all, 20 chose the name Muhammed... :rotfl: Thats what makes it so laughable... it was named by a Muslim majority... :D If anything the parents of the children should be punished for not correctly instructing their children.

TeenAsmaTeam said:
Its not the religion (which i can tell from SOME posts is what is felt)

Its some Sudanese people taken it too far, think about it, her lawyer is sudanese, the people supporting her are sudanese (and muslim). Its obvious that this is not offensive to Most People. In the religious sense seeing as i'm one of the like two muslims on the forum i'd like to say. THIS IS NOT AGAINST THE RELIGION, or offensive or wateva, we don't worship Muhammad (saw) so you can use the name. However i'm not gonna apologise for someone else's actions coz there the same religion (i'm not saying thats wats wanted).

If someone named a bear John the Baptist and was threatened with a lashing, fine or prison because it insulted some peoples beliefs in christianity then yes I would most likely say its those crazy extreme christians. You can't say its not about religion when it so blatantly is. It doesnt matter if its one religious person or a thousand religious people, if they use their religion to incite hatred or this ridiculous situation with this teddy bear them I'm sorry but YES religion is to blame in my opinion!

Just to clarify, was the bear named MUhammed or MOhammed? Theres a huge difference I think, dont quote me on it, but I think that when Muslim children are named Mohammed it is not actually the same as naming them Muhammed which would be the offensive name in question. Im not 100% sure but thats the impression I get anyway. They can also take offence at the name Danyaal (what we will call a boy if we have one) as it was someone who apparantly betrayed the prophet. But not many Muslims would take the drastic action they are taking, personally I think its much more political than religious, the Sudan government using her, making an example of her to show the rest of us infidels not to mess with Islam.

My OH is named Mohammed, tho he uses his middle name, and was brought up Muslim though he found he's own path as a teen and now describes himself as agnostic.

I have a lot of respect for the Islamic religions, taken in context they can be very peaceful, beautiful and magical religions, but of course context and fanatics dont often go hand in hand.

Id hate to see this turn into another media attack on Muslims, they have had it hard enough in the public eye as it is, especially British Muslims, and I think more people need to be educated on the actual religion and what the majority of Muslims in Britain believe. Did you know, for example, that the idea of suicide bombings is actually a sin? True martyrdom would be a brave warrior dying in battle for a just cause, suicide bombers are an insult to this belief to many Muslims.

Anyway, back to the point, I think that the teacher in question should have known that this may cause offence and been more sensitive to that, but the backlash it has caused has been majorly over the top and as I said to begin with, I think its more about making a political point than any perceived religious crime.[/u]

i would pay a fine- the others are degrading.

i'v met loadsa men called mohammed- i dont understand why a teddy cant be called it? i mean i understand about the icon/blasphemy thing but how come its ok for people to hav that name but not teddies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back