mohammed teddy bear *edit* poll added

Sweetcheeks24 said:
I'm sorry but I don't understand when people say 'don't blame the religion' afterall this punishment is being given in the name of this religion so I don't think you can seperate the 2 in this instance. :(

This woman is obviously a good soul.. travelled the world helping different people all over the 3rd world before teaching.. how on earth does she deserve that punishment i dont know.

I dont think religion is a bad thing at all.. each to their own beliefs but when its to this extremity I'm sorry but no body can justify it to me :?

I kinda understand that it's not the "religions" fault... But it happens to be the way humans interpret the religion... and in all honesty... humans aren't particularly good at interpreting the written word without bringing in their own personal feelings and issues... :)roll: how many times has something been written on the forum and its caused a ruckus :roll: :rotfl: )... and unfortunately most people take their religion WAY too seriously :roll:

I'm pretty sure all the gods/prophets are all up there laughing their heads at all the religious nuts down here.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yes i agree squiglet some people let religion rule their lives and thats wrong IMO life is for living and its great when you can get the balance between religion and getting on with life right.

to anyone offended by what i wrote : i meant what squiglet said but im rubbish with words. so sorry

[quote="SquigletI kinda understand that it's not the "religions" fault... But it happens to be the way humans interpret the religion... and in all honesty... humans aren't particularly good at interpreting the written word without bringing in their own personal feelings and issues... :)roll: how many times has something been written on the forum and its caused a ruckus :roll: :rotfl: )... and unfortunately most people take their religion WAY too seriously :roll:

I'm pretty sure all the gods/prophets are all up there laughing their heads at all the religious nuts down here.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:[/quote]

your right it is the way individuals choose to interpret.. same with any religion. But when It seems to be a whole countries view? Cos no one over there seems to be standing up against this saying.. NO this is wrong thats not how it's meant to be?? this is not what our religion stands for. If they are happy for the extremist views to continue to represent their religion then so be it :roll:

:D :D

in the poll iv put fine as i dont think i could hack the others :)

_Rosie_ said:
i never once said that she deserved the punishment at all. i said dont blame the religion because this is very much to do with the country it happened in. i think everyone agrees that it should not have happened i was simply saying that its a different country so different rules.
ahh see this is why its impossible to have a good debate re anything on this forum.

If you read my post correctly you'll see the first line was for you.. then I made separate paragraph to continue my point.. not aimed at you :D

i was replying to your first bit where you said "some people say dont blame the religion" thats all i wasnt aiming the other bit at you i think i was just going off track. lol my bad.

Sweetcheeks24 said:
your right it is the way individuals choose to interpret.. same with any religion. But when It seems to be a whole countries view? Cos no one over there seems to be standing up against this saying.. NO this is wrong thats not how it's meant to be?? this is not what our religion stands for. If they are happy for the extremist views to continue to represent their religion then so be it :roll:

:D :D

That's the problem with the Sudan... its been locked in bitter feuds that have been religious/political based for such a long time.. and well Africa is a hot bed of religion and violence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan

I would be too afraid to raise my voice to an issue there, you get your hands chopped off for things over there... it's scary stuff...

Its a shame that a country would let such extremist views dominate their legal system, but its only a few strong voices in a crowd of many weak ones.... and they are always heard...:(

I'm not really sure I understand why she is being tried for a crime. I get (or don't get personally) the religion bit but is their religion law there? I guess it must be which is very scary. Is it law? Does anyone know?
I read something interesting which made me think a bit so I thought I'd share it. It's from The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and he's quoting someone called Mueller.
This assumes "that the values of Islam trump anyone else's - which is what any follower of Islam does assume, just as any follower of any religion believes that theirs is the sole way, truth and light. If people wish to love a 7th century preacher more than their own families, that's up to them, but nobody else is obliged to take them seriously... Except that if you don't take it seriously and accord it proper respect you are physically threatened, on a scale that no other religion has aspired to since the Middle Ages"
In the book it gives lots of instances where people get to be right because of their religion and so impose it on others as if everyone should believe what they do.
Sorry, that was long and possibly a bit boring out of the context in the book.

Personally i think it is rediculas (SP) that she may be punished for this. Its not as if she told the children to anme the bear Mohammed, it was their choice. Its a name they know and love and most likely respect.
Some people are most likely gonna think that ALL muslims think its wrong to name a bear mohammed and isnt that how religious wars accur? I work with a lady who is muslim and she also thinks it is rediculas. Her words exactly were 'there is nothing said when a man is called mohammed so why should it be different for a bear that is for children'
I personally think that if she is punished we should do nothing more to help Sudan but hey thats the view.

***SHES BEEN FOUND FOOKING GUILTY AS IF!!!***

She's got 15 days in jail and is being deported.
Thank god that's all.. she'll come back here and sell her story for 100K

Urchin said:

Yer.... But 15 days in a Sudan jail... :shock: that can't be nice... :shock:

oh yeah just read abot the 15 days in jail..
you're right squig, think i'd rather have the lashes! lol :shock:

Urchin said:

I think the woman deserves 100K for this whole absured nonsense :shakehead:

I think its pathetic, its a teddy bear FFS :wall:

I think she did an amazing job to go to a different country and teach, but perhaps she should have done some research beforehand? Afterall different things offend different cultures and to avoid the situation that she ended up it might have been prudent to understand that it would offend people to have named the teddy bear that.

what a load of shite, never heard of anythin so idiotic

Kina said:
I think she did an amazing job to go to a different country and teach, but perhaps she should have done some research beforehand? Afterall different things offend different cultures and to avoid the situation that she ended up it might have been prudent to understand that it would offend people to have named the teddy bear that.

My thoughts on this exactly. Well said Kina :clap:

mummykay said:
but didnt the kids name the bear?

Yeah but as their teacher she should have really known that the name they had chosen wasn't culturally, or whatever word you want to use, acceptable.

ah right

still a load of cobblers tho, wouldnt blame her for never wantin to go back there again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back