Midwife today - have no confidence in her :(

EllieG

Reaction score
My midwife asked me to come in to be reviewed today as my heart rate was high at my last appointment. I also have high blood pressure and at my last appointment my uterus was measuring high. They found out my hb was slightly low at 107 and started me on iron tablets.
So it's only 2 weeks since the last appointment, my heart rate is still high, she said at the last appointment that if this was the case she would refer me to a consultant. Now she is saying we will wait another three weeks to decide if she will refer. I also said I was concerned that the baby is big due to my last measurements. Today she measured me three times initially, all were 36cm, then she palpated my tummy and said oh lets measure again - oh is 33cm now?
I dont want to worry over nothing but I feel like she is super dismissive about things and seems to change measurements etc to suit herself. My husband is worried, he said she had no idea about my history, why she had asked me to come back or anything, he wants me to call the hospital.
What would you guys do?

It's so annoying when you get mixed messages from your midwife it's really not at all reassuring!!!
If I were you I would want to have more of an idea of what's going on - I would probably make an appointment with my GP and say how you've been feeling and your medical history etc and they can then hopefully put your mind at rest or refer you to someone (other than your midwife) who can xxx

I'm not confident in mine either.

Told her i was getting dizzy numerous times a day. Protein in urine but she just said to drink more. seeing her again thurs its like she doesnt want to bother doing her job x

Last edited:
Hmm measurements can vary due to baby position so prehaps it did change. I too would prob contact my gp tho and get an appointment to see how things are and explain your worrys x

It's so tricky as you rely on your mw doing the right thing and it's unclear who you turn to if they're not doing it right. Do you have one GP that you see or a good one you can see? Maybe go and explain your worries. Better to be safe than sorry. At least try and find out what to do if you feel your mw isn't taking action she should. Good luck hun. Better to make a fuss and be wrong than ignore it and be ill. Xxx

Being anaemic can make your Heart rate high and the iron tablets take a while to kick in so maybe she is waiting to see if she they do kick in you're heart rate settles? I dunno like everyone else is saying if your worried go see the gp. I do think that midwifes seem to be a bit dismissive of things you tell them tho?! X

Thanks everyone, its so hard isnt it, like Umbungo said when you arent happy with what the midwife says where do you go with that?
I am aware that you can have a fast heartrate with low hb so it does make sense to wait a while to reassess that, though I have a history of fast heart rate in two other pregnancies unrelated to my hb, my midwife was aware of this though maybe thats why she is relaxed about it?!
Think the tricky thing is I have a medical background and sometimes a little bit of knowledge can make you worry ten times more than you need to! I've text the midwife today to ask her to refer me to the consultant earlier just to be chcked over. Hopefully I will be told my biggest problem is I worry too much lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back