Metformin experiences...

emma_85

Reaction score
Hi ladies

After TTC for some time, I have been to the Dr for some advice. I have been asked to have some bloods taken (tomorrow am) to check whether I have PCOS. The Dr suggested that it may be beneficial for me to take Metormin to help with conceiving. I wondered whether anyone takes this or has taken it and what your experiences have been?

Have you conceived?
Have you had side effects? (good and bad)

I'd really appreciate any feedback. I hope to be able to make an informed decision through research from others in the same boat when I return for my blood results in a few weeks time.

Thanks in advance :):):)

I don't have any experience of this Emma but just wanted to wish you luck for tinnitus :) I'm sure lots of girls here can advise you xx

I take metformin...2000mg a day and have been on it for 4 years it's helped regulate my cycle I went from going months without having a period to have 1 every 33days but since being on clomid my cycle is 29 days...I did have an upset stomach when I first took it but don't get that now. I did start off on 500mg and since ttc my gynaecologist put it up to 2000mg.
Hope this helps xx

Also when I went for an ivf appointment at a private clinic they said that they give women metformin because it can help increase progesterone levels apparently x

After scans, bloods, tests, 6 rounds of clomid, a laparoscopy, ovarian drilling and 18 months... I was given Metformin as a last chance before IUI/IVF. I conceived 3 weeks in. Could well be a complete coincidence (I also have a friend that got pregnant a few months in), but..

The side effects were pretty rubbish to be honest. But if you are very careful with what you eat, it shouldn't be a problem. I had one chip and was on the toilet for the next 24 hours

Last edited:
I seem to be the only person with pcos who hasn't been allowed to try metformin! I've pushed loads for it but my consultant says it isn't any use for me (how he has reached that conclusion I don't know as everyone I have heard of with pcos seems to be on it).

Let me know how you get on with it. I'm currently on clomid but if this doesn't work I will try and negotiate a trial run on the metformin and see if it helps.

I seem to be the only person with pcos who hasn't been allowed to try metformin! I've pushed loads for it but my consultant says it isn't any use for me (how he has reached that conclusion I don't know as everyone I have heard of with pcos seems to be on it).

Let me know how you get on with it. I'm currently on clomid but if this doesn't work I will try and negotiate a trial run on the metformin and see if it helps.

I believe I have a fair amount left unused in the cupboard... if you're that way inclined

It took me about a year to get a consultant to prescribe metformin...I said that I had done a lot of research and that I feel I would benefit from it and eventually gave it to me...think he was fed up of me nagging 2bh!
Just keep o they will eventually give in! X

I had it and conceived twice - two mc in those pregnancies though.

I had been diagnosed with pcos though. I'm surprised you'd be prescribed it without any diagnosis. Do you mind me asking if you are over weight? If so, it can help ladies shift weight and thus increase chances of conceiving.

When I went under consultant care after my mc's he took me off the metformin and said research etc have moved on in recent years and 'thin' pcos ladies / ones with normal blood sugar levels shouldn't be on it. I know different consultants follow different regimes though. I then conceived on clomid.

Side effects of metformin are horrible to start with and you need to build up dose gradually whilst body gets used to it.

I had it and conceived twice - two mc in those pregnancies though.

I had been diagnosed with pcos though. I'm surprised you'd be prescribed it without any diagnosis. Do you mind me asking if you are over weight? If so, it can help ladies shift weight and thus increase chances of conceiving.

When I went under consultant care after my mc's he took me off the metformin and said research etc have moved on in recent years and 'thin' pcos ladies / ones with normal blood sugar levels shouldn't be on it. I know different consultants follow different regimes though. I then conceived on clomid.

Side effects of metformin are horrible to start with and you need to build up dose gradually whilst body gets used to it.

I haven't been prescribed it yet. It is dependent on my blood results. I'm back at the Dr's on 22nd March . She discussed prescribing metformin if my bloods come back with the result of pcos. I know it is that though because as a teenager I Was referred to a gynaecologist and had the diagnosis then. I've kind of got on with life, and must've been lucky timing with my 5 year old as he was first hit! It's not been the same this time though, hence the trip to the Dr.

I am overweight, doing something about it (story of my life!) Was this size when I conceived my son though. Lucky bean!!

It took me ages to get metformin but I'm on it now. I had an upset tummy the first week or two but no bad side effects now. I am not overweight but I did lose all the fat from my thighs. I started it in Oct and I must have ovulated the following month as the scan showed my ovaries were not polycystic. A failed ivf cycle has since messed everything up again and I think the cysts are probably back but good to know it works! Xx

I am on it and changed to slow release. It's much better and so far I only have side effects with a certain cereal I eat. If you can pinpoint what it is you can eliminate it. Your body does adapt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back