• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Meets up north?????

so that's:
Jo & Jack (maybe Emily)
arcanegirl
Lauz_1601 & Ella
Vicky & Kacy
HayleyB & AG
Me & Lydia
Helen
maybebaby

I guess that's the definites so far....
how about everyone else?

AG will be with me on the day....
Haven't spoken to Lauz & Vicky about this one yet, but if theres no room in the car AG & I will be on the train :cheer:

Have we managed to persuade Wobbles to come along?

Looking forward to meeting you Helen, and everyone else of course!

the park I guess?
People using public transport can get a bus from Leeds City Centre....if anyone would like I can have a look for which buses....well I mean I know the numbers 12 and 13 go there but I'm not sure of which are the easiest stops to get them from in town....I guess people should say how they will be travelling, car, bus, or train, and I'll see if I can find the relevant travelling information/directions.

Is that okay with everyone? Meeting at the Park?

Roundhey park?
(sorry being lazy and not looking back!!) :oops:
Arcane Girl & I will probably be getting the train to leeds
(unless Lauz is going!)
So if you could post bus numbers so we know which one to get!!

xox

okay you want either the number 2 or 12 bus......

You can catch either of them on Vicar Lane in Leeds City Centre:

Then if you ask the bus driver to let you off the bus outside the Park...you want the Princess Avenue entrance - it's opposite Tropical World & Canal Gardens (it's the main entrance with big gates).
ETA: the park is on the opposite side of the road, so when you get off the bus you'll have to cross the road. You'll be getting off on the same side as Canal Gardens & Tropical World.

This is a map of how to get to Vicar Lane from the Train Station - I'm sorry I don't know which bus stop it is, but just look along them until you find one that says the number 2 or 12....by the way you DON'T want to be on the same side as the market otherwise you'll be getting on a bus going the wrong way. You want to be on the opposite side to the market:

map.jpg

I hope this has helped a little...sorry I can't make it any easier.

Thanks Xena thats a great help!!! :clap:
Sure we'll get there!!
Will speak to Lauz and see if she's going - cos i know she'll miss my navigational skills!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Not spoken to her about it yet though!
Hope she is going - can share petrol between 3 of us (big money saver!)- and 3 of us to look after Ella in the car!!
Will speak to her next time i remember on msn!!
Am just hoping there wasn't something she should be doing on the 16th!!! :pray:

Righty, I've just come back from DH's mam's house who lives near Pontefract, so while all the lanes etc. are still fresh in my mind, this is for those of you coming by car from anywhere further south than Leeds (i.e. you would already be on the M1 travelling north).

So, as you get near Leeds the speed limit changes to 50 mph, after a while you will see signs above that say City Centre and pointing to the middle lane. You actually want to get into the middle lane and stay in it.

Then the left lane tails off, so you are left with just two lanes....you should be in the left hand lane now (as the middle lane became the left lane when the left lane disappeared....if that makes sense).

You will acquire a sliproad at some point that says city (or city centre, something like that), so you want to come off the M1 there.

You will see the speed limit has changed to 30mph because the road bends to the left for quite a while....it feels like you're going round and round and round...makes you quite dizzy lol!

At the beginning of this going-round business, there is just your one lane, but whilst you are in the process of going-round, another road joins from your right and forms a right lane.
You want to get into this right lane and stay in it.
Basically I mean this:
map2.jpg

Then after some traffic lights, you will find that your lane splits into two....you want to take the left hand part of the split...if that makes sense. It will have an arrow painted on it and the word "City".
The left hand lane (that you just came out of in the last paragraph) will also say the arrow and "City", but ignore that.
Don't take the right hand bit of the split otherwise you'll end up going back to the motorway:
map3.jpg

Right then, keep following it round, it'll bend this way and that way but stay in lane....you'll come to some traffic lights that take you right, that's okay, just follow your lane. After the traffic lights DON'T take your first left (signposted station, among other things), take your second left (signposted St James among other things).
Once you've turned left immediately go into the middle lane. This will turn into the right lane as the one that WAS the right lane tails off. You will find yourself going over a bridge and there's some traffic lights at the bottom.
This bit is kinda tricky to draw but I'll do my best.
map4.jpg

Righty then, so after the traffic lights, the left lane goes left, but the lane you are in can go either left or straight ahead.....you want to go straight ahead. Trouble is that straight ahead could be any one of a number of lanes....and I can't remember whether it's 3 or 4. Damnit. I can picture it in my mind, but I can't quite fathom which lane to tell you to go in. I'll have to update you guys on that bit later this evening after I've done the journey again......

for the time being I'm just going to skip ahead a few steps and I'll fill in the middle bit tonight lol.
the explanation for this bit can be found in my next post

So, moving on to when you have gone under this bridge thing and are on the road heading for St. James hospital

You want to be in your left hand lane...just stay in your left hand lane. The right hand lane ends up having to turn right, but you just go straight ahead. Through some traffic lights, until you get to St. James on your left.
After St. James, the road veers round to the left, just keep following it. You'll be following it for a loooong time until you get to the traffic lights at the end of the road.
So you want to go through the traffic lights to your right and get into your left lane:
(by the way the number of side streets is innacurate...there's much more than that...but I didn't want the map to be mammoth sized lol):
map5.jpg

Righty, after that you get to another set of traffic lights. On the left you have a street that you can't enter (no left turn at those lights). Then what looks like straight ahead is actually a left turn, because the road veers to the right, if that makes sense. You wanna go left (the one that looks straight ahead)....where I've drawn the break in the red arrow is where it is considered left, so you have to indicate left...although lots of people don't bother:
map6.jpg

Then you keep going, past tesco on your left, then past a pub called The Roundhay, then past a Blockbuster, (plus lots of shops and restaurants inbetween all that), then past a safeway...and then you will get to some traffic lights with a pedestrian crossing.
Go through that, and then to the second set of traffic lights there is like a crossroad thinggy. You wanna go in your left lane to turn left, and go left:
map7.jpg

Then after that just go straight up the road. You'll be going past big fields on either side of you, and then you'll see a big carpark on your right. See if you can get a spot parked in there, or if not just carry on a bit further past the road and maybe park on a side street or something. The park etc. is a bit further up the road than the car park anyway. As you walk up (if you got a car park spot) you should see Canal Gardens and Tropical world on your left, and the entrance to Roundhay Park on your right....and a pub called the Roundhay Fox. If it's a nice day hundreds of people sit on the wall outside that pub (okay not HUNDREDS but lots lol).

And yes the car park is free.

Righty, whew, that was tiring lol. I'll fill you in on the middle bit of the journey (which is less than a minute's drive, it's just that I can't remember the lanes) a bit later.

Hope that helps.

Betcha nobody will even be coming off the M1 northbound after all haha!

:shock: wow that must have took you ages hun, aren't you sweet :D I havent got a clue if I come that way, but I will hopefully be able to borrow my mates tom tom anyway

Hayley need to chat to you on msn but basically, Vicky cant get the car that day so it means either you or vicky in the middle, or you and AG get the train? wish I had a people carrier so I could fit us all in!

Right I know the middle bit know but I'm too knackered to draw more maps tonight haha! Suffice to say, after the 3rd map I drew it goes like this:
After the traffic lights at the bottom of the road, go straight ahead and get into your middle lane (there are 3 lanes straight ahead).
(there's lots of traffic lights through all this, I can't remember how many...just keep going forward).
keep in the middle lane until it changes to 2 lanes....you should automatically find yourslf in the left lane. That's fine, stay in that.
Then you'll go under a little bridge, and after the bridge it kinda splits into 5 immediate lanes....take the second on your left.
(If you don't see which one I mean, look for the signs for St James' Hospital....you will see which 2 lanes are labelled that...so you want the left lane out of those two).
Carry on forward in that lane and that takes you to my 4th map.....

(if that didn't make sense to anyone, let me know and I'll try draw it, but I can't be arsed at the moment so unless it's really vital I won't draw one lol).

Xena you're a star for doing the maps!!!

Laura no worries honest hun!
If the train works out costly we'll talk G into taking us (i need to check the football fixtures for that weekend!!)

xox

im in doncaster n wud love to meet up lol
only just seen this post lol im blind i know.. so 1pm on 16th sept ill try n make it lol ill let you know for defo if i can
love b x

Well done Xena!! :lol:

I'm rubbish with maps! :think: :?

So, are we meeting at the entrance to the park then near the Roundhay Fox? At 1pm? :D

H

xx

yeh

I originally thought the other part of the park near the café would be better, but then I realised that the bus stops miles away from there and it's a bit of a trek if you've got a pram, especially if the weather is bad.
so I reckon the roundhay fox entrance is better....plus if it does rain we can always go to tropical world for a bit.

Well i've finally remembered to check the blackburn fixtures... and they're playing at home on the 17th so am sure i'll be able to rope poor graham into coming with us! lol!!
(bless him!)

Can bring the pooch too and he can run around like a maniac with her whilst we all chat and stuff!!

xox

thats brill Hayley. will also be nice to meet Grayham whilst Iv heard so mich about him. And Lou, becuase she looks gorgeous :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back