Making up bottles - your way

Lou12

Reaction score
Hi all,

The recommendation is to wait until baby is hungry (feed on demand) before boiling the kettle and waiting thirty minutes to pour the water into the sterilised bottles, and then cool them down enough for baby to drink. We're also told not to make the bottle up in advance and put them in the fridge.

I don't know about your LO, but my 4 week old will scream the house down if the bottle isn't in his mouth within the first 5 minutes of him waking up! Never mind the 30+ minutes doing it the recommended way!

So with these and all the other do's and don't's that we're told when formula feeding, I thought I'd ask what your way is?

Lou xxx

Make them up once a day, store in the fridge & heat when needed. At night I used to put 2 hot bottles in a bottle warmer bag in her room for when needed
As long as bottles are thoroughly cleaned, sterilised and used within 24 hours they will be fine

I'm combi feeding, so i put the kettle on while he's on the breast and its generally cool enough by the time he needs his top up. Over night i use ready made formula as i cant be arsed with faffing about making up bottles in the wee hours of the morning!

XX

I sterilise, add the boiled water, store in fridge and then heat and add powder as I need them

When she was feeding on demand I had a flask which I kept full of boiled water (poured into the flask after 30 mins) so when she needed feeding I would add the water and the formula to the sterilised bottle and cool down so I didnt have to wait for the kettle to boil and wait the 30 mins.

Now she only has 3 bottles a day and they are always at the same times so I can prepare the bottle ready for when I know she will want it x

My midwife said making the bottles for the say in the fridge is ok but the problem is when people bulk make and don't rotate so they stay in the fridge for days. I think common sense is vital really!

Did any of you see midwives on bbc where that woman was offering the same bottle through the night?

Sounds like a lot of fuss I'm too lazy for that Haha
See I know nothing, do you need to use a diff bottle each feed? What if they don't finish one?

We used to pour the water into the bottles and leave them on the side and just add the powder when he needed feeding. He liked his bottles room temp in the early days which is why we didn't put the water into the fridge x

We used to pour the water into the bottles and leave them on the side and just add the powder when he needed feeding. He liked his bottles room temp in the early days which is why we didn't put the water into the fridge x

That's what I do, I usually have four at a time so they're not sitting for too long x

I fill half with boiling water put it in fridge so when it comes time for feeding I feel it up with boiling water again, then it's the right temp and then add the powder. X

It's nice to hear what everyone does :)

When Greyson was on the normal first milk, I'd make them up for the day and put them in the back of the fridge; and then I'd make them up for the night.

It's more difficult now that we've got MAM bottles though - they're so thick that it takes bloody ages to heat them up/cool them down! So in the day, after he's had a bottle I make 2 up - one I leave out for a while and then put it in a thermal bag, the other I put straight in a bag. For the night time, I make 3 up and put 2 in bags and the other in the fridge. Then after his second feed I go and put the other in the microwave - I know we're not supposed to do that either - but I heat just above the right temperature, give in a massive shake to get rid of heat spots, and put it in a bag.

It's a lot of messing - can't wait until he's in a proper routine!!!

Kayelle - unfortunately if baby doesn't finish the bottle, it's no good after about an hour. Apparently baby's saliva breaks the formula down making it worthless after that amount of time.

I do this too, hasn't done LO any harm!! Luckily she doesn't mind her milk at room temperature either!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Thats what i do- because the midwife told me its better than putting them in the fridge, she drinks her milk room temp so its so easy- now she is six month she is on tap water so its even easier now lol x

Thanks Lou, that's interesting I would never have known!

My midwife said making the bottles for the say in the fridge is ok but the problem is when people bulk make and don't rotate so they stay in the fridge for days. I think common sense is vital really!

Did any of you see midwives on bbc where that woman was offering the same bottle through the night?

I saw it pinky! Absolutely mental that they could possibly think that was ok!!

I fill half with boiling water put it in fridge so when it comes time for feeding I feel it up with boiling water again, then it's the right temp and then add the powder. X

i kinda o this but just leave the water in the kettle, pour into bottle when needed then boil a bit more to add to it to make it hot

Im combi feeding, but I used to leave four bottles and leave on the side but the hv said that bacteria on water can grow if I did that, so now I put no more than two at a time in the fridge. IRS a right faff constantly boiling the kettle and making sure I've got the next one ready.

Also I thought we had to heat formula to kill off any bacteria as the powder isn't sterile.

Am I taking the cleanliness/sterile thing a stage too far?

Im combi feeding, but I used to leave four bottles and leave on the side but the hv said that bacteria on water can grow if I did that, so now I put no more than two at a time in the fridge. IRS a right faff constantly boiling the kettle and making sure I've got the next one ready.

Also I thought we had to heat formula to kill off any bacteria as the powder isn't sterile.

Am I taking the cleanliness/sterile thing a stage too far?

I thought the problem was with the milk powder not the water? Boiled water is sterile and putting it into sterile bottles surely means it stays that way? It's the milk powder that isn't sterile and that's why you don't pre mix it.
I was really worried about sterilising and how to make up bottles but everyone I know seems to pre do the water. You can't expect a baby to wait for boiled water to cool when they are hungry!!!
I might be wrong on this tho?!

i kinda o this but just leave the water in the kettle, pour into bottle when needed then boil a bit more to add to it to make it hot

I do this during the day, our kettle has a water filter on it so I know it's clean as well.

Then at night we make up the bottle with powder and put it in a thermal bag just after his last feed then by the time he needs a feed at half two or so it is cool enough for him to drink but still warm enough to send him back to sleep :)

xxx

I sterilise, add the boiled water, store in fridge and then heat and add powder as I need them

Thats what I do :) works when out and about to as ive got a pot to put the right amount of formula in :)

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back