Making up bottles Q

dannii87

Reaction score
I sterilize the bottles and then fill them with boiled water, put the cap back on and when Miss Evie wants feeding I just add the formula and give it to her.

I know this might sound really bad, but I don't warm the bottles up so they're always at room temperature. :oops:

And I don't store them in the fridge, just on the side (with a seal tight lid on), but still.. Am I doing this all wrong?! How SHOULD I store them?

x

Personally I always made up the bottle when Isaac needed it, but I do know its the first 6 weeks where babies are most at risk of infection and so after this it does lessen, and despite what people say, whoever they are hehe your Evie has already been exposed to all the bugs etc in your home (we all have them no matter how clean we are) and so she's got a very good immune system already, plus she will have lots of nice antibodies from your breast milk too. She's your baby, if you're cofortable with it then go with it, if you're wondering if it's safe, maybe change so you're at ease with it? Very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... tionId=145

I made up the bottles as she needed them at the start but within days I was tearing my hair out. Because she was feeding so unpredictably I couldn't anticipate when she was wanting food to be able to leave the water for long enough for it to cool. Running a bottle under the tap to cool it and screaming baby = megastress for both.

So for around 5 and a half months now we've been doing half cooled boiled water/top up with boiling water and we've had no problems. If Evie will take the bottles at room temperature I wouldn't worry - it's just the "official" recommendation is that you use very hot just boiled water as the milk powder itself is not sterile.

We did exactly the same so don't worry. Ella was always fine with this, the only reason we started warming the water first was that as she started having bigger bottles we found that the formula didn't dissolve as well in room temp water.

It is such a minefield isn't it? I also found it impossible to make bottles fresh each time and still do! I also asked both the MW and the HV and they said it was fine to do this.

Your doing it just fine there hun!! :hug: Its all so confusing!!!!

Room temp is better anyways, as Evie will not expect it warm, therefore wen your out you dont have to find somewhere to warm the bottle, because she will take it as it is :dance: bonus!!

Iv tried all different ways over the months, and the one that works for me, is making them up abotu 4 at a time, and sticking them in the fridge - when I go out, I either find somewhere to warm them, or more offten, just feed them to him, after a few hours they have warmed abit - or warm it before I go out! Either way, your not suposed to do it. But I have yet to kill my child and hes the healthyest baby I know so, I must do somethign right!!

You know best!! Never doubt yourself :hug:

I warm Jacks if they've been in the fridge. In his changing bag there is a therma pocket too, which i keep a very warm bottle in, and by the time he feeds its around room temp :) I think babies have their own preference too, Jack doesn't like it too cold :talkhand: he spits it back out!

Hi dannii hope you and Evie are well :D I make my bottles up the same way as you and its so much easier and Ava is actually alot less sick when its room temperature. Once i give it a good shake it mixes fine, my health visitor advised me to do it that way. I used to heat my lil boys and it was difficult finding some places that would when out and about. So the way your doing it is just fine hun.x

dannii87 said:
I sterilize the bottles and then fill them with boiled water, put the cap back on and when Miss Evie wants feeding I just add the formula and give it to her.

I know this might sound really bad, but I don't warm the bottles up so they're always at room temperature. :oops:

And I don't store them in the fridge, just on the side (with a seal tight lid on), but still.. Am I doing this all wrong?! How SHOULD I store them?

x

:hug: :hug: :hug:
we do the same as you, it's fine and handy!

Ahh thank you!! :cheer: :hug:

I feel a load better now!

Katie05 - Where have you been hiding?! :cheer: How are you & Ava?? x

If thats the way you prefer to do it hun then carry on, I personally don't think there is any right or wrong way to do it, everyone does it differently and its what works best for you. As long as bottles are fully sterilised I don't think it really matters how you make them up. Evie is obviously a healthy baby so carry on, your not doing anything wrong :hug: :hug:

dannii87 said:
Ahh thank you!! :cheer: :hug:

I feel a load better now!

Katie05 - Where have you been hiding?! :cheer: How are you & Ava?? x

Lol, ive not been on as much as had no computer for a while. Lurking around again but its amazing how much you miss on here when you havent been on for a bit! Ava is a little angel, im keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed she stays that was and isnt influenced by her tiny tearaway big bro :rotfl:

I do the same as daftscotslass

Make up the bottles in the morning with 4/50z then when needed top up to required volume then add powder. I keep them on the worktop next to his powder

I know it's not forumla but i do pretty much the same with Tallys bottles, i sterilise and keep them with the lids on sterile for a while (can be all day at times) then the milk is poured in when she's hungry.

I did wonder if it made them less sterile but because there's no milk and it's not warm bacteria shoudlnt grow like it would if it was milk.

As for the temp it's great that she takes it room temperature. I've tried giving Tally unheated milk and she refuses it, she likes it warmer then you'd expect, i'm just very glad i never have to bottle feed her whilst out and about with her lol.

abcd1234 said:
I know it's not forumla but i do pretty much the same with Tallys bottles, i sterilise and keep them with the lids on sterile for a while (can be all day at times) then the milk is poured in when she's hungry.

I did wonder if it made them less sterile but because there's no milk and it's not warm bacteria shoudlnt grow like it would if it was milk.

As for the temp it's great that she takes it room temperature. I've tried giving Tally unheated milk and she refuses it, she likes it warmer then you'd expect, i'm just very glad i never have to bottle feed her whilst out and about with her lol.

Hey you!! good to see you back!!!

Danni iI do the same as you, you're doing a grand job :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back