Low iron levels & IV drip for treatment - any advice?

Sunnyb

Reaction score
My iron levels are 8.4 & I've been prescribed ferrous sulphate tablets & told I need to go for IV drip to boost levels back to 11+
Has anyone else had to have this? My midwife has urged me to go for a course of IV treatments to boost my levels as with just under 9 weeks to go, tablets alone won't do the trick. I took ferrous sulphate tablets during my last pregnancy which upset my stomach, caused constipation & I ended up with piles :wall2:
I lost a lot of blood during my last birth which required 4 blood transfusions & yet more ferrous sulphate tablets!
I'm wondering has anyone taken other prescribed iron medication either tablet or liquid form that didn't upset the stomach or cause constipation? I just don't want to feel ill all the time or get piles again. I'm not very good at taking liquid medicine, so again what does it taste like?
I have been told that if I don't get my iron levels back up it will increase my chances of bleeding heavily again after birth & the need for further blood transfusions. I felt so drained & poorly after the birth of Joseph & I'm frightened of history now repeating itself.
Any advice or suggestions will gratefully be received as I'm very nervous now :oooo::oooo:

Sunnyb xxx

I've had no experience in pregnancy but my mum takes spatone, a liquid iron supplement. She says it definately has a taste to it but you dilute it in water, I think you are supposed to add fruit juice so that would help to disquise the taste (my mum is allergic to oranges so can't do that). If your midwife is recommending IV treatment then go for it, the oral route won't boost your levels fast enough.

Can't help I'm afraid but am sending you my best wishes....hope the IV helps to strengthen you up for the birth and this baby comes smoothly and easily with no problems xx

Some of the girls take the spatone stuff. I take ferrous fumarate. Lots of times before I was pregnant I was prescribed ferrous sulphate. I take fybogel to ease the constipation. And it hasn't been to bad. Think I had a burst pile once before I took the iron tablets but haven't had problems since. I've had 4 blood transfusions in one go due to dysfunctional uterine bleeding and I know that's horrible, must be even worse after giving birth. If it was me I'd ask the gp about the spatone and if it would be equivalent to taking the tablets and I'd go for the iv because your iron levels are really low. Mine were 7.2when I needed the transfusions.
:hugs: x

After having Joseph my levels dropped to 6.1 & after 4 units of blood was still low at 8.2 which is why I had to continue with ferrous sulphate. I haemhorraged after having Joseph & they've said it's likely to happen again unless I get my iron levels back up before the birth. I am going with IV to help boost my levels more quickly. I have been prescribed lactulose to help ease constipation. My sister in law says she had liquid iron prescribed in medicine form, but can't remember what it was. All I know is I want to be fighting fit for labour, at the moment I'm fighting off tiredness, infections, breathlessness, headaches & bloomin heartburn which is lousy.
Maybe IV treatment will sort some of this out too. Thanks for all your support as usual girls x

Sunnyb xxx

Oh gosh what a time of it. I think the IV will give you the immediate boost then the oral route to maintain. Glad they are looking after you!

Hope the IV iron will help you hun and that you'll be strong for labour

x

I think you best going with the iron IV if thats what the midwife had suggested. With my first I got tested at 35 weeks and my iron level were low around 8 but i was just put on the ferrous sulphate tablets. I was on 5 a day for 2 weeks and then 3 a day after that. But it got my levels up high enough in those forst 2 weeks to be accepted into the birth centre. I had to continue to take them for 3 months after lil one was born. Thankfully they neveer bothered me although ive heard most people say they do.

I hope you manage to find something that doesnt make you feel awful. x

Last edited:
Best.wishes.lovely sorry no help but sending my love x x

I've taken a few different iron tablets and some of them made me constipated but I'm now taking ferrous sulphate which are fine for me - know that's no good for you but my dr was saying if they weren't any good she'd try me on another iron salt like iron phosphate or some others - maybe they could try you on other tablets and see if any suit you better? If your levels are really low though they might not want to wait for the tablets to kick in. Hope you get sorted though xx

I'm on Spatone and went from 10.5 to 10.7 in about a month. I find it brilliant but I'm not symtomatic so it was a case of finding something that stopped me dropping below borderline. I didn't get on with tablets with previous pregnancies either. Hope you get ur iron up to a nice level soon. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back