Question for those on iron tablets.

Jayjay027

Reaction score
Hey girls

I'm just wondering if any of u taking iron tablets are having any side effects?

I was taking ferrous sulphate but they made me throw up, constipated, severe indigestion etc so asked the doc to change them.
I'm now on different ones, ferrous folate I think, and they are making me sick too.
Haven't yet noticed constipation or any other symptoms but the being sick again is enough to make me want to stop taking them.

Anyone else having a miserable time on them?
I want to change them again but I honestly think that I'm always gona have this problem as long as I'm taking iron tablets :( x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Hey Hun,

I have not needed iron tablets through pregnancy but my iron levels are being closely monitered because of the Beta Thalasemia trait. My iron levels have been low before and my previous GP advised me to take 'Spatone' instead of iron tablets becuase there are little to no side effects.

Only thing is they are not availible on the NHS as far as I am aware.... you just dilute a sachet with orange juice or you can get the ready diluted ones too.... Maybe speak to your GP/MW about it xx

The only side affet im aware of is that it can turn your poo black lol.

The only other thing I can suggest is eating loads of green veg like spinach, I'm guessing if they've swapped you onto something else then your options may be limited.

I hope it gets sorted soon! x

I was on ferrous sulphate to start with which made me throw up, now on ferrous folate which still makes me sick :(. Midwife said since my iron levels were only just under to stop taking them because it wasn't worth it if i just throw them up! x

I was on ferrous sulphate to start with which made me throw up, now on ferrous folate which still makes me sick :(. Midwife said since my iron levels were only just under to stop taking them because it wasn't worth it if i just throw them up! x

Thank God I'm not the only one. Its making me miserable. Gonna phone up my doc on Monday and tell her how its makin me feel.

Karate kid - I'll mention that spatone to the doc and see if she can prescribe it, if not I might just buy it and see if it helps.

Thanks for the advice girls :) xx

Thank God I'm not the only one. Its making me miserable. Gonna phone up my doc on Monday and tell her how its makin me feel.

Karate kid - I'll mention that spatone to the doc and see if she can prescribe it, if not I might just buy it and see if it helps.

Thanks for the advice girls :) xx

I know its horrible isn't it! just get rid of morning sickness then you get it with iron tablets! Will try spatone karate kid. Least I'm getting something then! xx

I've been on iron tablets for a week now and just starting to feel queesy after I take them, I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read your post so thanks. Might ask my MW if I can change too as I really don't want to start being sick again!

Nor me! Its not fun :(

I'm on ferrous fumarate, I felt sick on them for a few weeks, but as long as I eat with them I'm ok, poo is black though lol! I haven't had any other side affects from these
Hope you can sort it out!

Hi JayJay.

A girl on another thread recommended Spatone which is liquid iron. I bought it on amazon and the reviews are all really positive ie no nasty side effects.

Hope you're feeling better soon xxx

Thank u! Defo gona give spatone a whirl :) x

What is your iron count? They put me on ferrous sulphate a while back. I didn't move off the loo for about a week - was horrendous! I opted to do it by diet. It wasn't cheap, but it worked - my iron count is now 11.6. I basically made sure I had red meat everynight for tea!! X

I have no idea what my iron count is, they didn't tell me. Just told me I needed the tablets x

Just wanted to update, I told my GP about the nasty side effects of the iron tablets, and he prescribed spatone. So I can get it free, which is really handy.

So any of u ladies that are suffering as a result of iron tabs, ask ur doc about spatone and they should be able to prescribe it for u.

The thing he did say though, was that spatone doesn't give u the amount of iron that the tablets do, he said its about a 50th of the amount lol, so I have to make sure to eat iron rich food too :) x

Glad you can get it prescribed hun, good to know.... you will just have to keep munching spinach! x

Yeah its pretty handy that you can get it on prescription, as I have to take 2 a day, so I'd be out a fortune buying them every week.

Eugh @ spinach lol. Will have to find other alternatives lol x

Nuts and apricots - yum!!!
Will have to do an iron rich food shop later :) x

Any green veg is usually packed full of iron x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads