Iron Levels

Rosieroo

Reaction score
Had my 31 week check-up today and got the results of my 28 week bloods. According to the screen they had informed me that my iron levels had dropped (no they bloody hadn't!) and are now 9.8 (I started at a healthy 12.3) so I need iron tablets and more bloods taken at 34 weeks.
I'm really annoyed that they said they'd told me as I could've been taking iron tablets for the past couple of week which would've helped with the tiredness I've been experiencing.
But apart from that baby is all fine, head still down, strong heart beat and measures bang on average. :D

Some docs are a bloody nightmare!! glad all ok, got my 36 week midwife appointment tmrw, going to find out if baby has engaged!!!

take care

Natalie x

Hi Rosieroo,

The same thing happened to me regarding iron levels. Mine dropped from 13.2 to 10.7 at my 28 week blood tasts. Doctor rang me and I got myself in a proper panic. Decided to avoid the prescribed iron tablets though because of the side effects. Instead I've been taking 'Spatone' a natural iron supplement that you add to fruit juice (must be taken with Vit C). Well worth a try if you experience any bad side effects from your tablets. Anyway went for my 34 week check last week fully expecting to have another blood test but my doc said it wasn't necessary. How does she know this? She can't possibly know if my iron levels have improved without testing can she?
I was a bit bemused and have done some research since and found out that you're not actually aneamic until your iron levels drop below 10.1 so it seems I have been worrying about nothing really!!
I'm sure my GP and Midwife just like to keep me on my toes!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back