Iron tablets

lauramumof2

Reaction score
Nearly a fortnight ago i got the midwife out because I was so tired and dizzy and lightheaded. She took blood as routine and I got a call a few days later as my iron levels were really low. I got prescribed iron tablets and they are a nightmare. I am sick all the time but if I dont take them I am sooo tired.

I should be getting liquid iron tomorrow so i might be able to keep that down.

Its just all getting a bit much and im sick of being sick and its the iron thats coming back up and the taste is awful,

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Hi hun i was in teh same situation as u are now when i was pregnant with Adele. I couldnt tolaerate iron in any way my body just rejected it all the time i was refferd to a dietican(sp?) who could do nothing for me. When my waters broke at 26 weeks with her i had to get a blood transfussion 4pts or 4 bags dont really know but it took them 18 hours to get the blood(im A B pos think its rare) then 4 hours per bag to get it into my body.

Wasnt very nice experience but i felt so much better after it. They did try the iron injections but my levels were still very low and the blood was the last resort.
After becomming pg with Colby i didnt feel as unwell as i did with Adele but i used to take the iron tabs and the basset jelly multi vits and i didnt need a second transfussion. When im on my bad week i do feel light headed and dizzy and have oassed out once or twice after having Colby but i have to keep taking the iron tabs and multi vits for the rest of my days :( I hate taking tabs even the pill i choak on...lol but if it means that its goingto help me then i have to keep taking all the tabs and just dont think about them.

Hope you start to feel better once you get sorted withthe liquid one (it tastes horrible btw)

Take care
Jean & girls
xxxxxxxx

thanks guys, i definately think I have taken my last tablet. Im just not digesting it despite taking it with food, without food, with orange juice and with water but nothing keeps it down.

The only time I feel well is if I have a half stout the night before.

jean, im glad you said it tasted rotten. I imagined it would taste nasty but as least there wont be any surprises. 8)

bubble, let me know what your gp suggests and I might try it too.

Thanks again

i had exactly the same problem, a couple of weeks ago... the midwife told me it was LO putting presssure on my stomach so i should eat little and often and only eat bland foods no spices or anything acidy! i did this and was still being sick so they had to change my iron tablets..given about a week to start working i felt much much better....dont worry it will go away! its horrible being exhausted and feeling so sick constantly.. plus that acid metal taste..yuk! i was in bed for a few days i was too knackered to go to work but i'm all better now..i'm sure liquid iron will be much better for you hun!

I was told that I had to take iron tablets and was given a prescription from GP. I decided I did not want to take the manufactured tablets so I bought Spatone which was recommended to me by quite a few friends & family. It is a liquid form and you put it into orange juice or fruit juice. Touch wood have not had any problems

I got the liquid iron andhave had one dose so far and its stayed down. :D
Its minging looking and tasting (weestar had me prepared) but its not as bad as throwing up.

Fingers crossed.

im glad it wasnt so bad and you managed to keep it down :clap:

i know this isnt the place for this part but i used to get very constipated (TMI sorry :oops: ) and they used to give me fibo gel it worked but its horrid....lol i used to make it up in lemmonade so it would be like a fizzy orange drink so if any of u get this i recomend u make it with something other than water

good luck girls for the rest of your pregnancys

Take care
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111