LK today - breastfeeding

mrs_tommo22

Reaction score
Ive just been watching it and there was a woman on there who was breastfeeding a 4 yr old, she explained she felt it gave her child boosted immunity, nutrition and comfort and helped her bond with her sister (when the baby nursed so did the 4 yr old). Bearing in mind this little girl is at school as well.But the mum said the child only bf in the morning and evening and never in public.

They also had doctor hillary on and he said although it was a unusual situation to have a child of her age BF still - he also said the child got no nutriion or boosted immunity from BF because at 4 the immune system is strong and she gets all her nutrition from foods.

Did anyone else watch it? I dont agree with bf at that age but il keep my opinions to myself as I dont want too offend.

I watched it! Did you see her trying to tell Dr H that BF a 4 year old DID have immunity benifits after he said it didn't :lol:

Personally I wouldn't be BF a 4 year old :? But it's each to their own! I remember watching a programme a few years ago about BF older children, there was a girl on it still feeding at about 8 years old :shock:

It was really interesting, but I agreed with DR H, I think the mother was trying to give reasons for why she still bf her 4 yr old.

An 8 yr old- OMG that is so wrong

James is only just 5 but the thought of breast feeding him makes me feel really uncomfortable :shock:

I think it's unnecessary to BF a child at that age, but that's just my opinion.

Full of hope! said:
I watched it! Did you see her trying to tell Dr H that BF a 4 year old DID have immunity benifits after he said it didn't :lol:

Yeah, but I believed her more! She is obviously passionate enough about what she's doing to know her stuff inside out, Dr Hilary spouted a load of opinion that he could've read off this forum. I didn't think he seemed well-informed, and both agreed that the nutrition element wasn't essential at her age.

I can't imagine ever wanting to breastfeed a four year old, but I don't find it at all wierd or wrong that some people do. She said globally the average weaning age was about 2/3 didn't she? It's only in some countries it's so much younger.

I'm sorry but I think it's wrong, I don't know why either. Just makes me feel really uncomfortable. Love ideas of breastfeeding, believe breast is best and all that even though I didn't manage to with Jack. But you wouldnt catch me with a 4 yr old hanging off my tit

Minxy said:
Full of hope! said:

Yeah, but I believed her more! She is obviously passionate enough about what she's doing to know her stuff inside out, Dr Hilary spouted a load of opinion that he could've read off this forum. I didn't think he seemed well-informed, and both agreed that the nutrition element wasn't essential at her age.

I can't imagine ever wanting to breastfeed a four year old, but I don't find it at all wierd or wrong that some people do. She said globally the average weaning age was about 2/3 didn't she? It's only in some countries it's so much younger.

yeah I thought she ran rings round him. He seemed quite uncomfortable and unable to challenge her back.

I couldn't believe it this morning when I turned the TV on and saw the child laying across her Mothers lap breastfeeding. I was quite :shock: I don't agree that a child of 4 should still be breastfeeding but that's just my opinion :D

beanie said:
Minxy said:
Full of hope! said:

yeah I thought she ran rings round him. He seemed quite uncomfortable and unable to challenge her back.

yeah she kicked his uninformed butt! :lol:
its not my cup of tea i'd feel uneasy if millie were to pull my top up or somet, but i salute women who do it longer if they wanna do it dont offend me at all

Well done to her,for sticking to her principles,and for doing something like that - I mean BF mums will know what abuse you can get feeding a small baby at times :x And i do genuinely think that breastmilk at that age does more than likely have a good nutritional value-I mean,cow milk does,and you'd give that to a 4 year old.

BUT...I personally would have my reservations on feeding a child of that age...but each to their own :wink:

mrs_tommo22 said:
Ive just been watching it and there was a woman on there who was breastfeeding a 4 yr old, she explained she felt it gave her child boosted immunity, nutrition and comfort and helped her bond with her sister (when the baby nursed so did the 4 yr old). Bearing in mind this little girl is at school as well.But the mum said the child only bf in the morning and evening and never in public.

They also had doctor hillary on and he said although it was a unusual situation to have a child of her age BF still - he also said the child got no nutriion or boosted immunity from BF because at 4 the immune system is strong and she gets all her nutrition from foods.

Did anyone else watch it? I dont agree with bf at that age but il keep my opinions to myself as I dont want too offend.

makes me feel ill to think of feeding a child that age :puke:
im sorry but i wonder who is getting benefit here - the child or the mother :think: *shudders*

budge said:
mrs_tommo22 said:

makes me feel ill to think of feeding a child that age :puke:
im sorry but i wonder who is getting benefit here - the child or the mother :think: *shudders*

I would imagine both, I doubt the mother is forcing the child to breastfeed and from what she was saying her daughter is well aware that she will be finishing soon. What is wrong with getting benefit from nursing your child? I presume (and I am presuming as Seren was only 20months not 4 so Idon't have the experience), that she got to enjoy nursing her child, and they both enjoyed the closeness from it. I loved mine and Seren's early morning feeds, and I did get something from it, as my daughter did. I do miss it, but accept that Seren made that choice.

i never show this program, but i watched extrondinary breastfeeding a few months back.

i dont feel comfrtable with it either. i think theres better ways to bond with your child once they reach a certain age

paradysso said:
i never show this program, but i watched extrondinary breastfeeding a few months back.

i dont feel comfrtable with it either. i think theres better ways to bond with your child once they reach a certain age
Yeah ie playing, reading, talking ect although its that persons choice :D

Breast milk is a living organism, and constantly changes throughout the growing childs life, the doc didnt know what he was talking about!

At each stage the nutrinal value changes, at each growth spurt and illness it changes.

I dont think I could go on that long only because I wanted my boobies back, Oli weaned herself at 13 months but I would of quite happily gone to the age of 2, the WHO reccomend you should do it for that long as a minimum!

She was very well informed and knew exactly what she was saying, she is also part of the ABM ( association of bfing mothers ) they do a lot of research and I think a lot of people including that silly doc need to do some too!

I think shes very brave for going on telly and letting everyone know, she's happy and her child is happy.

Thats all that matters!

that Dr was an arse though with his coiffered hairstyle. He contradicted himself saying "After the age of one breast feeding is bizarre, unusual and not necessary. After a year the mother gets more out of breastfeeding than the child does. This act is more for the mother's comfort than the baby's. The bonding process is over and nutritionally the baby no longer needs the milk." Yet then agreed that the child does get benefit at least up to the age of 2 :roll:

And I loved this "Women breastfeed their children for longer for a variety of reasons. It can be to avoid renewing sexual relations with their partners, "

:rotfl: you got to laugh, these "professionals" really do talk some utter shite! :rotfl:

Its no wonder so many women give up in the early days, because there is so many idiots like him! :roll:

I cant get ITV on my English satellite here so i didn't see the show.

makes me feel ill to think of feeding a child that age
im sorry but i wonder who is getting benefit here - the child or the mother *shudders*

It really annoys me that people seem to imply that extended breastfeeding of your child amounts to abuse. From some of the replies here should i assume that if Thea decided she wants to carry on feeding past the age of two then i should keep that information to myself in case im looked at as an abuser and a pervert?
I dont think its that mother and child that are wrong, its the closed minded, uninformed, socially conditioned people who pull her down and knock their choice to do what works best for them that have the problem.

And I loved this "Women breastfeed their children for longer for a variety of reasons. It can be to avoid renewing sexual relations with their partners, "
Seriously??? That should have been enough to let viewers know he was talking out of his arse :roll:

i think its quite easy to look at our LO's as they are now and see them still bfing in years to come because with our children, its very easy to see them only as babies and them remaining so forever. But when I look at Tia... I feel bfing an 8 year old is verging on abuse...Tia has started to become sexually aware this year....in the sense she knows shes going to start developing breasts herself...and boys are anatomically different and you need to preform the act of sex to create a baby...plus having a child is all about raising them...then setting the free to the world....and by 8 you should be well on your way.... I suppose 4 is still ok... although I know what Tia was like at four.... and really you want them to start being more independent at that age.... especially if you've had another one....

in a way I agree with budge....by 3/4 its fine to bf...but you should be looking at weaning them off the breast...but 8 is much too old sorry... :( don't want to offend anyone...but as a mother of an 8 ear old...she is much too old to bf.

plus all the cr*p they eat and drink at that age... just undoes any benefit bfing might give an older child. :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back