Lifting the Veil #2

budge

Reaction score
in the light of a classroom assistant being suspended for refusing to remove her veil whilst teaching young children in a school my question to all you parents is

''would you object to your young son or daughter being taught by someone who was dressed like this?''

burqa.jpg

i would have to vote Yes i would object because i think my children would be frightened by the clothing and also i think children read alot from facial expression etc. :)

this topic is not intended to create a dispute. Im just interested in the votes. No need to make a coment if you don't want :)

I voted yes aswell, I have nothing against other cultures aslong as they agree to respect us as a Christian country. I'm not even Christian but I respect the law of the land. And yes, it would be pretty odd for a child. They need to see facial expressions to understand, that's how the learn when they are babies because they don't understand speech and that stays with us throughout life.

Sami said:
And yes, it would be pretty odd for a child. They need to see facial expressions to understand, that's how the learn when they are babies because they don't understand speech and that stays with us throughout life.

you hit the nail on the head there sami :hug:

i herd on the radio she is a transalter(sp) so i dont understand how children could learn from her if they coudnt read her lips ect. and also she didnt wear the veil for her interview. if she was so adimant about wearing a iel she would have worn it to the interview.

i wouldnt stop my child from being taught by her but i wouldnt like it. as long as my child was comfortable with it though

I just don't really see what a child can learn from someone when they can't see their face. Like Sami said babies when born don't understand speech so go off of facial expressions and we still do this as we get older. If you can't see a facial expression you can't tell what context things are meant in. Like for instance this forum, so many arguements happen because you can't see someone so can't see how they mean a comment. Personally as a child I would have been petrified if she walked into my classroom, as a child they don't understand the concept of religion so won't understand why she does it.

Sorry might be long.
I'm going on what my sons Speech and language unit teacher and therapist told me.

My eldest has a language disorder which means he doesn't always understand or take in what is beening said to him and also has attention difficulties and can not hold eye contact.

His speech & language therapist told me that most children learn and understand and concentrate on what people are saying better by looking at the persons mouth and not just by listening to the words, and therefore learn better (which is why my ethan has problems because he can't hold his attention long enough to do this).

And on another note some children with autism have trouble reading peoples facial expressions which contributes to difficulties with communication and learning, so taking that it to consideration any child that can not see their teachers facial expressions would have the same touble.

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding on the subject.
Solely for eduction purposes I think it would be better for children to see their teachers faces.
xSuzx

I voted yes, because I would feel a bit intimidated talking to someone when I couldn't see there face, so I imagine it would be the same for Becky. On saying that tho, she has no fear so I could be wrong! :wink:

i agree with everyone else about learning to speak through facial expression aswell. I personally wouldn't want my child taught by someone who covered up their face to that extent.

However the student teacher that got sacked because of her veil said that she actually never refused to remove the veil for teaching the children, she only wanted to wear it around the male teachers.

I dont agree with the vail at all, in schools children need to see expresions as a way of learning.
And the other year people were stoped going into shops with hoddies on,vails are worse you cant see that person im quite suprised people havent had the idea to go on the rob with them on.
In a shop by me all the staff had uniforms on and this lady was there in her vail and full outfit, which I did'nt think was fair to the other workers and I couldent understand her and felt a bit intimadated.
It should be one rule for all

this is my theory:

i i go to israel where women are not allowed to show flesh I have to cover up. (i think that is where the religion is - i am a bit unsure!) I do that out of respect for their religion and culture.

If I go to Dubai, I would not walk down the street with alcohol in my hand, because in Dubai you are not allowed to drink, that is there culture and I respect that.

So then why, in the British culture where Christianity is the main religion, do muslims not repect the British culture/religion and remove their veil in settings where it may be deemed as inappropriate.

Rant over, THE END.

Ummmm Israel is mainly Jewish, Palestine is mainly Islam. Israel was formed in 1948 as a nation state for Jews after the Holocaust, Palestine is the name given to lands occupied by the displaced Arabs (ie non-Jews). Having said that there are also Palestinian and Israeli Christians - it'c complicated over there! Islam is the majorty religion for most of the Middle East apart from Israel, where Judaism is. Islam is also a majority religion in Pakistan which was created by British rule.

History lesson over :D

and ps, should have said there is no requirement in Judaism to cover up, although some of the more orthodox women choose to cover their hair with wigs/cloth's after they get married, and adopt more modest dress.

Would children be afraid though. They arent as set in their ways and dont have as strong opinions as us. They are generally very accepting.

I dont agree with it tho.

missac said:
this is my theory:

i i go to israel where women are not allowed to show flesh I have to cover up. (i think that is where the religion is - i am a bit unsure!) I do that out of respect for their religion and culture.

If I go to Dubai, I would not walk down the street with alcohol in my hand, because in Dubai you are not allowed to drink, that is there culture and I respect that.

So then why, in the British culture where Christianity is the main religion, do muslims not repect the British culture/religion and remove their veil in settings where it may be deemed as inappropriate.

Rant over, THE END.

:clap: i totally agree.

lauramumof2 said:
Would children be afraid though. They arent as set in their ways and dont have as strong opinions as us. They are generally very accepting.

I dont agree with it tho.

well this morning when the suspended woman was on the tv in her veil i asked my 9 year old what she would do if that person came into her classroom to teach her.
Emily my 9 year old said
''id be scared , what is it?''

and to me that said it all.

I'd rather home school Lydia than put her in a school where teachers wear that!

I would have more concerns about the school, like whether the cklass sizes were not too big, if the school had adequate funding for equipment and what their anti bullying campaign was like then whether the teacher had a piece of cloth over her head. I wouldn't mind if Seren had a teacher who chose to wear a nijab as it would help her grow up and understnd that people of different faiths wear different clothes.

My children will grow up in Birmingham seeing people dressed like this all the time so I'm not concerned it'd be an issue if they had a teacher who did. :)

I dont think any child in birmingham would find it scary.... :rotfl:
More normal than not having one on in fact :D

:D (im originally from brum too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back