The Shettles Method (low-tech gender selection)

little*red

Reaction score
I thought I’d start a post for your TTCers on the shettles method. Basically the shettles method is a low tech gender selection method, i.e. if you would like to attempt to conceive a boy or a girl then this advice from Dr Shettles may help. Please note this thread is just for fun and isn’t intended to offend anyone, the techniques used here do not involve medical intervention they are merely things you can try at home. Also they are not guaranteed ways of selecting the gender you want. (just covering my back in case anyone blames me for not getting the gender you wish for!).
As some of you may know when TTC we were hoping for a boy as we already have a girl and the balance would be nice. So I have read a lot about this method and just wanted to pass on all the info I learnt from my research.

Introduction
Since the 1960s, Dr. Shettles has recommended gender selection methods which he claims is upheld by scientific evidence. The Shettles Method has the advantages of bearing no cost and requiring no medical treatments to conceive.
In fact, the properly applied Shettles method gives couples at least a 75 percent success rate. Some researchers have reported success rates up to 90 percent!
I am going to summarise the basics of Dr shettles methods, to read in more depth he has a book called ‘How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby’.

Understanding Sperm
If you're hoping to conceive a girl or a boy with any of the gender selection methods you need to understand getting busy with the egg and the sperm, and find out how nature chooses boy or girl.

In laymans terms:
All female eggs are X (female)
Sperm can either be male or female, therefore deciding the gender of the child.

X sperm makes Girls
Y sperm makes Boys

Therefore if an X sperm meets the X egg then a girl is conceived (XX). If a Y sperm meets the X egg then a boy is conceived (XY).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TTC A BOY

Shettles theory suggests the following facts about the male (Y) sperm:
• Smaller, round head
• Faster moving
• More fragile, short-lived

Based on these facts the following advice is given to ensure optimum circumstances to conceive a boy.

1. Timing Intercourse
The most important factor of shettles advice is the correct timing of intercourse. Dr Shettles advice is:

Have sex as early as 24 hours before ovulation to no more than 12 hours past ovulation in order to increase your chances of conceiving a boy.

If you are unsure of when you ovulate, you need to become more in tune with your body and there are three ways you can try and pinpoint exactly when you ovulate:

• Charting Cervical Mucus
(i found this site extremely useful, and it has a table you can print off http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/cervical-mucus.html)

• Basal Body Temperature (BBT) Charting
(this may be of some use aswell, another printable chart http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/basal ... rting.html)

• Using Ovulation Predictor Kits
(this is a useful site all about OPKs http://www.ovulation-calculator.com/ovu ... -tests.htm)

Why is this important?
Conditions for conception are ideal on the day of ovulation, favouring the faster Y-sperm. The egg is released at ovulation and is waiting for the sperm, so the sperm don't use up their short lives waiting for the egg to show up. Also, the environment of the vagina becomes more hospitable to sperm at ovulation; the cervical fluid increases and becomes more slippery, making it easier for the sperm to swim, and also becomes more alkaline, helping the sperm to survive.

2. Abstinence

Shettles advice when TTC a boy:

The father must not ejaculate during the 4 - 5 days before ovulation.

• Intercourse and ejaculation are okay up until 4 to 5 days before ovulation, but after that point the father must avoid any ejaculation until the day of ovulation.

• Always use a condom when you have intercourse, both before and after ovulation, to prevent the possibility of conceiving on days when it is more likely to have girl. (Except, of course, during your one attempt on the day of ovulation.)

Why is this important?
Avoiding ejaculation allows a higher sperm count to build up. Dr. Shettles associated a higher sperm count with more male offspring.

3. Scrotal Temperature
Dr Shettles advice:

The father should "keep it cool"

• The father should make sure to avoid excessive heat around the scrotum, which can be caused by tight, hot clothing, or an overly hot workplace.
• Room temperature is fine when TTC a boy
• Choose boxers. Even close-fitting underwear can make the scrotum too warm by holding it too closely against the body.
• No saunas, hot tubs, or scuba diving.
• Bicycling has been linked to impotence and reduced sperm count, so while you are actively trying to conceive you may want to choose another sport.

Why is this important?
The optimum temperature for sperm production is a little lower than body temperature, which is why a man's sperm factory is housed in a handy bag just outside the body -- the scrotum. If the temperature is too warm, sperm count for both X and Y sperm will be reduced, but the more fragile Y-sperm will perish first.

4. Sexual Position
Dr Shettles advice:

Deep penetration from your partner, preferably with the "doggy style" position

Why is this important?
This sexual position will deposit the sperm closer to the cervix giving the more aggressive and quicker moving "boy" sperm a head start to fertilising the egg first.

5. Female Orgasm
Dr Shettles advice:

Have one!

• The woman should try to have an orgasm during intercourse, ideally just before the man's. (If you don't, though, don't get too hung up about it.)

Why is this important?
Female orgasm causes the cervical fluid to become even more plentiful and alkaline, and thus more hospitable to the sperm, which would again favour the faster swimming Y-sperm. Also the contractions which accompany an orgasm help move the sperm up and into the cervix, which give the short lived male Y-sperm a extra hand at reaching the egg quicker.

6. Vaginal pH
Dr. Shettles advice:

Alkaline environments favour boys (Y-sperm)

In shettles book he actually recommends Douching, however douching is linked to vaginal infections, and associated with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), ectopic pregnancy, and infertility. So therefore i have decided not to give any advice about this.

These methods are not mentioned by shettles but can be taken up to try and create an alkaline environment:

• The ‘Boy diet’ where the objective is to increase sodium and potassium while decreasing magnesium and calcium in your diet. This site contains more details : http://www.geocities.com/genderdetermin ... ydiet.html

• Dietary Supplements such as:
Evening primrose oil
Guaifenesin (can be found in cough syrup)
Alka Selzter Gold
Green Tea

• Eating ‘alkanising’ foods (a list can be found here http://www.geocities.com/genderdetermination/ph.html)

As I am not a medical professional I would maybe advise that you contact your doctor before making a change in diet or taking any dietary supplements.

Why is this important?

Alkaline conditions in the vagina are more favourable toward the y-sperm, therefore x-sperm (female) are more unlikely to survive in the alkaline conditions and making the y-sperm (male) more likely to succeed in getting to the egg first.

7. Fathers Diet
Shettles advice:

The father may have some caffeine just before intercourse.

•The father can have a couple of cups of coffee (or other caffeinated drink) fifteen minutes to half an hour before intercourse.

Why is this important?
Dr. Shettles believed the caffeine would give both types of sperm a boost, but that Y-sperm would get a little more of a boost.

8. Sperm count
Dr Shettles advice:

The father should avoid other causes of reduced sperm count.

• Illness can temporarily reduce sperm count, so if the father is sick you may want to delay your attempt until the following cycle.

• Smoking, drug and alcohol use, and exposure to toxic chemicals, can all reduce sperm count.

• Emotional stress is associated with lower sperm counts. You may want to check into relaxation techniques.

• Regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight are lifestyle changes that can improve sperm count.

• Lack of certain vitamins and minerals can lower sperm count. Try taking vitamins which help boost fertility such a Zinc.

Why is this important?
Obviously a low sperm count does not favour any gender but a high sperm count favours the y-sperm(males). This is due to the fact that as the boy sperm are weaker, in higher concentrations they have a greater chance of fertilising the egg, as there will be more of them to replenish the weaker ones which die quickly.

Summary
All of the above advice from Shettles theory should
1) decrease the travel distance of sperm
2) provide a more alkaline pH environment in the vagina (due to presence of cervical mucus)
3) get male sperm to the egg quicker
4) promote environments conducive to male sperm survival.

To give the egg the highest chance of merging with a Y-sperm to conceive a boy.

Old wives tales for TTC boys
These are some old wives tales that are said to favour conception of Boys (none of these have any scientific support):
• Being stressed during conception
• Have intercourse in at night
• Have intercourse when the moon is full
• Have intercourse on even days of the months
• The man initiates the sex
• The woman’s head faces north during intercourse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TTC a Girl

Shettles theory suggests the following facts about the female (X) sperm:

• Larger, oval-headed
• Slower moving
• More resilient, longer-lived

Based on these facts the following advice is given to ensure optimum circumstances to conceive a girl.

1. Timing Intercourse
The most important factor of shettles advice is the correct timing of intercourse. Dr Shettles advice is:

Have sex 2 to 3 days BEFORE ovulation in order to increase your chances of conceiving a girl.

If you are unsure of when you ovulate, you need to become more in tune with your body and there are three ways you can try and pinpoint exactly when you ovulate:

• Charting Cervical Mucus(i found this site extremely useful, and it has a table you can print off http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/cervical-mucus.html)

• Basal Body Temperature (BBT) Charting
(this may be of some use aswell, another printable chart http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/basal ... rting.html)

• Using Ovulation Predictor Kits
(this is a useful site all about OPKs http://www.ovulation-calculator.com/ovu ... -tests.htm)

Why is this important?

Because many of the sperm will use up their short lives waiting for the egg to arrive, this should give the typically longer-lived X-sperm an advantage. Also, the cervical fluid in the vagina is less hospitable to sperm prior to ovulation, because it is scant, sticky, and more acidic. All of these conditions are unfavourable for both kinds of sperm, but since X-sperm are more resilient, the Y-sperm should perish first and make it more likely to conceive a girl.

2. Have lots of sex
Dr shettles advice:

Have sex everyday from the end of your period up to 2 to 3 days before ovulation. After this point, do not have unprotected sex until several days past ovulation.

Why is this important?
Frequent ejaculation naturally lowers sperm count, which Dr. Shettles believed would favour conceiving a girl. The weaker Y (boy) sperm will die more quickly in the more acidic pre-ovulatory vaginal / cervical secretions and by the time of ovulation there will be a much larger concentration of X (girl) sperm available to fertilize the egg.

3. Sexual position
Shettles advice:

Shallow penetration using the missionary position.

Why is this important?
This will deposit the sperm closer to the entrance to the vagina. This area is more acidic than closer to the cervix and acidity will work against the weaker "boy" sperm leaving more "girl" sperm available to fertilise your egg. Also the longer distance to the egg ensures that a lot of the weak Y-sperm will die off before reaching the egg.

4. Female orgasm
Shettles advice:

Avoid it!

• The woman should try not to have an orgasm during intercourse

Why is this important?
Female orgasm causes the cervical fluid to become even more plentiful and alkaline, and thus more hospitable to the sperm, which would favour the faster swimming Y-sperm.

5. Vaginal pH
Shettles advice:

Acidic environments favours girls (X sperm)

In shettles book he actually recommends Douching, however douching is linked to vaginal infections, and associated with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), ectopic pregnancy, and infertility. So therefore i have decided not to give any advise about this.

These methods are not mentions by shettles but can be taken up to try and create an acidic environment:

• The ‘Girl diet’ where Objective is to increase calcium and magnesium while decreasing potassium and sodium for your diet. This site contains more details : http://www.geocities.com/genderdetermin ... rdiet.html

• Dietary Supplements such as:
Sudafed
Cranberry tablets

• Eating ‘acidifying’ foods (a list can be found here http://www.geocities.com/genderdetermination/ph.html)

As I am not a medical professional I would maybe advise that you contact your doctor before making a change in diet or taking any dietary supplements.

Why is this important?
Acidic conditions in the vagina are more favourable toward the X-sperm. The Y-sperm (male) are likely to die as a result of the acidic condotions as they are much weaker than the x-sperm, therefore allowing a higher concentration of the x-sperm to compete for the egg.

6. Scrotal Temperature
Shettles advice:

The father should take a hot bath before intercourse

• Please note, do not try to reverse the boy methods of reducing scrotal temperature when TTC a girl as this will overall reduce male fertility which i favours neither gender.

Why is this important?
When the scorotal temepature is too hot the more fragile Y sperm (boys) perish first, therefore leaving a higher concentration on X-sperm which is more likely to conceive a girl.

Summary
All of the above advice from Shettles theory should
1) increase the travel distance of sperm
2) provide a more acidic pH environment in the vagina
3) favour the longer, living more resilent female sperm
4) promote environments conducive to female sperm survival.

To give the egg the highest chance of merging with a X-sperm to conceive a girl.

Old wives tales for TTC girls
These are some old wives tales that are said to favour conception of girls (none of these have any scientific support):
• Being relaxed during conception
• Have intercourse in the afternoon
• Have intercourse when the moon is quarter
• Have intercourse on odd days of the months
• The female initiates the sex

If you have any more questions about this method feel free to ask me about it. :D

I hope all you TTCers get your BFPs soon and at he end of the day whether it is a boy or a girl we should feel grateful that we have been blessed with a healthy happy baby to hold in our arms, as sadly there are many women in the world in the world who do not have this privilage. :hug:

thanks for posting that, im the opposite to you this time round, i really want a girl, for the same reason, i already have a boy :)

Thats great hun. I've read about it before but you've set it out so it's easier to understand. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back