Less than a year between pregnancies?

BunnyN

Reaction score
Okay I know the advice is to leave at least a year between pregnancies and there are good reasons for it but I'm wondering what your personal experiences are?

I'd like to try for another one as soon as possible so was wondering if it was okay to cut the year rule a bit short. I have a friend who got pregnant again in less than a year and she had a MC, don't know if the close pregnancies had anything to do with it but it does scare me.

Our LO is only 5 weeks so I'm a bit crazy to be planning the next one :lol: but I wanted time to decide what to do.

Last edited:
I know a lady who had her daughter on her son's first birthday! so she got preg 3 months after birth!

I would say that as long as you didn't have a complicated birth or c-sec etc and that you continue taking pregnancy vitamins so, taking extra iron and calcium and vit D which are the vits that pregnancy strips from you the most - then why not try sooner than a year....you may not conceive straight away anyway (esp if you are breastfeeding)........

Mine are just over 12m apart! I thought the year rule only applied with c sections? But anyway, I wouldn't change it for the world now as they're really close, but it is bloody hard! In an ideal world I'd probs have waited a couple of years as it's hard to split your time when they're so close and things like childcare if you go back to work end up so expensive!

it is less than a year since I had my little girl and I am expecting again ,will have a age gap of 16 months when new arrival comes along ! I have heard a bout the 1 year rule but to be honest I am finding this pregnacy alot more easy x

i had a section with my LG and was told wait 6 months i fell with this baby when A was 9 months old xx

Thanks, I wasn't expecting so many positive responses! I have had a really easy recovery from this pregnancy and birth otherwise I probably wouldn't consider it. We are considering using BF as our only form of contraception. If you follow a few rules it is supposed to be as effective as other forms of contraception for the first 6 months, then it gets less effective but it still greatly reduces the chances of falling pregnant for quite a while. So I'm thinking maybe I'll just let my body decide when it is ready. My biggest worry is that getting pregnant again too soon might increase MC risks. I'm a stay at home mum so I'm not worried about work etc. I did very bad morning sickness and could hardly move for a couple of weeks which would be very hard with a baby but I do have good family support too.

My mum got pregnant with my sister when i was 3 and half months old. We are 12months and a week apart :) xx

Had 6 week checkup yesterday with midwife who delivered our baby yesterday. When we got to the contraception talk I kind of turned it into a how long do we have to wait to get pregnant again talk, lol. She said 9 months then said, well 4 months for the body to recover, then she asked how old I am and when I said 33, 34 in october she said to go for it, don't wait around if thats what we want. She was much more positive about short gaps than I expected but then it seems she only waited 9 months between pregnancies so she cant really tell me I have to wait a year :). So it looks like after a token amount of time for recovery we might be TTC, have I gone totally crazy?:shock:

Last edited:
We started trying for our third when our baby was 6 months old and fell straight away. There will be a small age gap between the 2 and I would have tried to have them closer together but I had a section so needed to give my body healing time :) x x

YAAAAY :) Go for it hun xxx

Thanks, not sure if you girls are a good influence, lol! Now I'm trying to work out if maybe I could fit two more in, someone send me to a shrink!

I think its fab hun :)

I always think if u want a family, and u want your children close within age i see no problem.
If you think you can handle them both that young and you dont think ull struggle physically or financially then GO FOR IT :D xxxx

I think its fab hun :)

I always think if u want a family, and u want your children close within age i see no problem.
If you think you can handle them both that young and you dont think ull struggle physically or financially then GO FOR IT :D xxxx

Thanks, it's not that I was particularly wanting them close together but although 33 doesnt seem that old when you start doing the maths it doesnt leave all that much time for 2 more children. Although we might start TTC pretty soon I expect it will take a while to fall pregnant because I'm breast feeding. In the meantime we get to have fun not using contraception though :).

My mum was breast feeding me and fell with my sister unexpectedly when i was about 13/14wks hun and she was only a few yrs younger than you so ya never no ;) might be 1st/2nd time lucky when u ttc!

Good luck and enjoy trying hehe xx

So far I dont seem to have a problem getting pregnant. First time was from accident with a condom, unfortunately ended in a chemical. After that the next month we kind of decided to TTC but after one time changed our minds... Oops, too late! Now that we have one, I'd at least like to have one more, maybe we could manage two :). Honestly I'd rather leave bigger gaps because I think physically it will be a challenge but I don't want to make the mistake of waiting too long.

There's 13 months between me and my younger brother and my mum fell for him while breastfeeding me, she was 35 :) xxx

Thanks, not sure if you girls are a good influence, lol! Now I'm trying to work out if maybe I could fit two more in, someone send me to a shrink!

I always said 2 was our limit, now I am thinking the more the merrier lol!

We of course need to win the lottery but then I'd be on it....

xxxxxxx

Last edited:

I always said 2 was our limit, now I am thinking the more the merrier lol!

We of course need to win the lottery but then I'd be on it....

xxxxxxx

Lol, yeh I decided last week I'd like 5 but I think 3 is almost realistic.

Supplementing with formula? No she exclusively breastfeed all of us I think we all refused a teat so went from boob to cup. It was a complete surprise, she went to the docs for something else, when they asked of she was pregnant she laughed at him......and she was :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back