January 2017 mummies! **2nd Trimester.**

Sprout, I have been having awful tension headaches which last for days on end. I finally caved yesterday and took half an aspirin tablet. I've been advised to take 75mg of aspirin per day anyway, to keep blood thin and avoid clotting, so I feel like taking a little won't be harmful. 1/2 tablet yesterday afternoon, a nap, and *touch wood* no more headache. I hope it goes away from you, aspirin or not xx

Laura, that's so wonderful. And I'm sure you're OH didn't mind one bit to come straight from the plane for something so exciting. :)

Feeling really, really sorry for you Sprout. :-( Maybe go talk to your GP if there are any medications that would be safe? A lot of the time you can get things on prescription that you can't have over the counter in pregnancy, because then the doctor will monitor you.
Most of the time when the recommendation is to avoid medication it's because there simply isn't enough data to know for sure. Usually the advice for doctors is "to weigh the benefits for the mother against the risk for the baby". So for example, I've been advised to stay on my antidepressants, because it would be worse for the babies if I slipped back into depression and had anxiety attacks.
Hope you don't get any more migraines at all, but if you do, please at least talk to your midwife or GP?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Thank you both for the advice and sorry to hear you've been suffering too. I did take one dose of codeine after lots of googling and a call to 101 (Where they wanted to call me an ambulance!!) Wasn't very comfortable doing it but the one dose still left me with a bad headache so it would have been awful without...obviously don't want to be taking anymore though so I'll definitely be seeing my gp if it happens again.

Oh Sprout I'm so sorry.. I suffered with tension headaches every single day for about 18 months a few years back and was completely miserable. I can't even imagine how a full blown migraine feels.. I know people who have suffered and they are floored with them. I am sure I got painkiller dependent so stopped taking them and still try to avoid at all costs, I used the cold head packs, this stuff called tiger balm (similar to 4-head) and lots of sleep to ease my worst ones. I know this sounds laughable in the face of a migraine but I'm sure the prospect of heavy painkillers is scary.. (Though as Rhian said, I am sure your doctor would ok something for you for when you're in the grips of one..) Really praying for you that it was just a freak one-off - stay positive xxx

Kool'n'Sooth patches are my go to with headaches and migraines! They are in the pharmacy isle usually and dam are they good!! Last around 8hoirs too so you can sleep in them xxxxxxxx

ah sprout I do sympathise. I siffer with tension headaches in pregnancy. Someone told me that they use 4head and it works.

Laura- two girls that's amazing! It will be lovely for them to grow up together as twins/sisters. I too have been experiencing spots/acne. On my chest and on my neck. I feel like I'm having a boy though- we'll see.

I have also noticed that during pregnancy my stomach gets hairier. That is supposed to be a sign of a boy!

Blonde in terms of doing a birth plan, I think it's a really good idea. I had one last time around and although the birth wasn't great and I ended up in theatre, with forceps etc, the things that could still be done, the hospital followed my instructions. Birth plans are not just about water birth, pain relief etc. You can include small things that are important to you. e.g in mine I included the following:-
- Father to check gender and to to inform me whether boy/girl
- Skin to skin with me as soon as possible
-No formula to be given as I was adamant on breastfeeding
-Delayed cord cutting for a few minutes ( this could not be followed exactly as I had a retained placenta.)
-Whether I wanted an injection to speed up placenta coming out

Sprout- Thank you for your advice regarding co-sleeping etc. I did co sleep with my first but only from when he was about 2 months old. I do worry as my husband is a very heavy sleeped and once he is asleep he moves about a lot! I feel like I need a side crib. My firend co-sleep with her two from birth and she recommended using ikea cot which has different heights and removing side. Will look in to that.

Does everyone have a birth plan? Is it a requirement? I don't have one, my plan is just to get them out :D I thought I'd just go with the flow of what I am advised with regard to sections and pain relief.

I've just had another 4 appointments through the door for twin clinics? Any other twin mummies heard of this? They aren't scans, but they are at the hospital.

it's totally ok to go with the flow. I suppose that is your birth plan! My birth plan last time consisted of the things above and also in terms of type of birth, pain relief, etc. I didn't necessarily want forceps, epidural, c sections, waterbirth but if needed then yes. I wanted them to do what was best, safest for me and baby. I think there is a section in your notes where you can write any plan for birth. YOu coulr write that you wish the babies to be delivered safely and that you will take advise at the time as to what is necessary. If there is something you definitely want, e.g. husband to cut the cord, or anyone else who is in attendance with you, just make sure to put it down on birth plan. I suppose what I mean to get across is, the birth plan isn't just about those big things like pain relief, forceps etc, it can be about the little things which will make the birth personal to you, like music, water birth, who holds babies first after birth etc.

Laura I haven't got a birth plan especially when I found out it was twinnies, I like you just want them to arrive the safest way for them and me the only thing I want is for hubby to tell me the gender when they are born other than that I'm happy to go with the flow and let the experts tell me the plan. X

I've got scans at 20,24,28,32 and 36 & I think 3 or 4 of them have clinic appointments afterwards X

I think I'm mainly doing a birth plan as like princess said, there are a few things I really do want to happen (delayed cord cut, minimal intervention, no stitches unless critical) but I'm open to things having to change. Wednesday for the low Papp a meeting can't come quick enough as I stupidly read stuff on google about it so it's got me really worried. Had a cry today and straight after felt baby, almost as it it was trying to comfort me which made me cry at the thought of that haha.

I've also been signed off work for two weeks :( so feeling a bit useless right now.

xxxx

I haven't filled my birth plan out yet, but I'm definitely going to. I don't want to try to take in information and make difficult decision on the spot. If I think about it before hand and have an idea of what might come up, I'll be better prepared for all eventualities and in a better position to make decisions as needed. I trust that if whatever I wrote in the plan somehow endangers me or the babies, they will tell me.
Also, a lot of the things typically in the birth plan is not necessarily medical decisions. Just saying "go with whatever is best for the babies" won't answer things like if they should wash them first or not, because there's no obvious benefit to doing either, it's personal preference.
And I'm sorry if this post comes of as critical, it's really not meant that way, I just struggle with formulating myself. I think sometimes we believe we make it easier for the medical staff by not having opinions, but in reality it makes things more complicated without us realising.

Laura, I have an appointment with the consultant after every scan, so pretty sure it's normal. With twins, some of the appointments you'd normally have with a midwife, you'll have with the consultant instead.

I haven't filled my birth plan out yet, but I'm definitely going to. I don't want to try to take in information and make difficult decision on the spot. If I think about it before hand and have an idea of what might come up, I'll be better prepared for all eventualities and in a better position to make decisions as needed. I trust that if whatever I wrote in the plan somehow endangers me or the babies, they will tell me.
Also, a lot of the things typically in the birth plan is not necessarily medical decisions. Just saying "go with whatever is best for the babies" won't answer things like if they should wash them first or not, because there's no obvious benefit to doing either, it's personal preference.
And I'm sorry if this post comes of as critical, it's really not meant that way, I just struggle with formulating myself. I think sometimes we believe we make it easier for the medical staff by not having opinions, but in reality it makes things more complicated without us realising.

Laura, I have an appointment with the consultant after every scan, so pretty sure it's normal. With twins, some of the appointments you'd normally have with a midwife, you'll have with the consultant instead.

That is what I was trying to say in my post. Most of the things included in birth plan are personal preferences and may not be life or death decisions but they are important to the mother at the time. definitely good to do your research. For example, I had forceps delivery last time and I had not looked in to it at all beforehand and wasn't aware of the risks and that some people choose to go straight to c section rather than try forceps. The tried to explain risks to me at the time but I was in so much pain and was so distressed I couldn't process it.

Eep! I think I felt movement today! Just little flutters so far. I'm so emotional I almost started crying at work.

I definitely felt something today too! Faint but definitely baby this time.

Ahh Rhiandell that's lovely :) I think i've felt a couple but i'm not 100% sure so i'm oficially saying I haven't felt baby yet! I've forgotten what it feels like after 5 years!! Soooo knackered girls.. I've been doing stuff to the house non-stop since getting back from holiday, it's like i'm going through a little early nesting patch! Picked up the pram yesterday which got me right in the gut.. Suddenly feels so real! xx

I'm still waiting for any kind of proof that there's actually a baby on board - bump, movement, anything! I'm guessing I'll need to wait a few weeks yet as it's my first and just the one? Now 15 weeks

Oh my goodness you guys feeling things that is so exciting! My partner pushes his hand on my (now rather large) bump and says he can feel faint movement, but I can't feel it!

I got a DVD of a bit of scan footage from my gender scan which I can't stop watching. It's amazing being able to see their little features and them drinking fluid and sucking their fingers.

I have to admit I was expecting to have felt something by now - they say with your second you notice it sooner so i've been laying stock still waiting for something! It is amazing when it happens though, and you know for sure it's baby! My partner keeps saying he can feel but he definitely cannot haha - it's either my heartbeat or tummy rumbles! Bless him.. I think i'll ask the midwife to try and get a heartbeat at my 16 week check next week! xx

OH LAURA!!! CONGRATS!!! I said team yellow but the temptation is terrible! especially now my Jan Gals are finding out!

hmm birth plan I'm a bit undecided, I know a lot of people went in to detail and were really gutted when the labour didn't go to plan I thought maybe I might just do it loosely sort of not write off any pain killers and just right that I want OH to announce the sex and have skin to skin straight away and delayed cord cutting, I'm a stickler for a plan and I think I will focus on the plan too much rather than the changing situation of labour... I will definitely be writing that a bucket of tea and a large bar of galaxy will be required shortly after.. LOL

These twinnies are keeping us on our toes! Popped to epu this morning as had cramping all night & then another bout of spotting when I got up & as it had only been a week since it happened last wanted to go for peace of mind! Both babies looking lovely, fluid levels all good & doctor checked cervix as well! He told me that these things are probably going to happen & I need to be less anxious lol easier said than done, he was very nice about it! Just wish I wasn't such a nervous nelly at the moment! X

Not sure if I'm feeling small movements but sonographer said not to worry as especially first time mums it may be that they don't feel anything into their 20 weeks plus. X

luckily didn't see any gender as is forgot to say to her don't want to know lol X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back