Jamie Ryan's arrival story.

nicki

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you are all ok. Here's my birth story (finally!)

Last Thursday I went into hospital at 20.30 to be induced, they did the usual examinations etc & put in a pessary & told me to get some sleep & they would put in another one in the morning & we would take it from there.

Luckily I had the whole ward to myself so it was quiet but I still didn't manage to get much sleep as you can imagine, I was getting bad period pains all night & was a bit on the scared side !. :|

I woke up at 6.40 & was just lying there minding my own when my waters broke, I was expecting a trickle but it was pouring out!, very strange feeling, then my contractions started, I was shocked at how quick they came on.

Dave arrived at the hospital at 8 O'clock & I was taken into the delivery suite room where I had some breakfast. At 10.00 I was only 3cms dilated so they put me on a drip to speed things up, I was also strapped up to the heart & contraction monitor.
As my contractions were getting worse on went the TENS. At 1310 I started on the gas & air. by 14.30 I was 6cms & in agony & couldn't stand it any longer so called for an epidural, he was busy so it took half an hour to come (the longest 1/2 hour of my life!) At 1630 I was fully dilated but had to wait an hour before I could start pushing as they wanted the epidural to wear off a bit :shock:

I pushed for about 2 hrs but had to have a break after an 1 1/2 hrs so they could top up the epidural as the pain in my hips/groin & thighs (spd kicking in!) was excruciating & I couldn't push properly & was crying in pain.
I eventually managed to get him past the point of no return & that's where he decided to stay!, I pushed & pushed & he didn't want to budge so the midwife called for the doctor as Jamie was getting v.distressed & his heart rate dropped alot. I was told they would have to use the ventouse. I carried on pushing determined to get him out as the pain was so intense, so eventually with one almighty push out he popped at 19.57, weighing in at a - wait for it - 9ilbs 14oz :shock: ( the relief was amazing!).

They put him on my chest while the placenta was delivered & the midwife told me I had torn very badly & went off to get the doc. I had v.deep tears inside & out & part of the back passage muscle was torn so after another 1 1/2 hours of waiting (they had an emergency C-section to do!) went to theatre to be stitched up. During the end of the birth & afterwards I would not stop being sick & was still in alot of pain so had all sorts of drugs pumped into me while in theatre.

I was taken to the ward at 12.30 & Dave went home. I didn't get any sleep. Dave arrived back at 10.30 & at 11.00 I went off to have a bath as I was still in the nightie I had given birth in & had been lying in a pool of sick, blood & gore all night, wasn't too impressed but at the time I was away with the faires so didn't call for the midwife!

They did want me to stay another night but I just wanted to get home so we left at 17.30 on the Saturday.

Since i've been home i've had a bit of trouble breastfeeding, sleeping & have been walking around like John Wayne & i'm still extremely sore but I guess it all takes time. I also need to stop crying, hoping that will stop soon too! :shock:

Anyhoo that's my story (sorry its so long), glad its all over but he was worth all the pain & I didn't realise you could love something so much :D

Nicki.xxx :D

Congratulations Nicki :)

God you went through the mill didnt you! I had a very simular birth to yours apart from they used the ventouse & poor Aimee is still suffering from it!
You will stop the tears, I didnt know what had happened to me... I cried from day 2 to day 4/5 then it calmed down but I still find things alot more emotional than I used to. Think its just the hormones.
As for the stitches, I REALLY sympathize it will take a while to heal, they start feeling better by about 6/8weeks but i found its taken till about now to fully recover!
Good luck with the little fella and enjoy him
x

:shock: :shock: OMG!!!!!!!!............is it too late to chage my mind!? :wink: :shock:

Cricky, what a story!

I've just been told I have SPD (I knew before but the midwife said it was too early!) and I'm dreading the birth.....especially now! :shock: :lol:

I can't believe how they left you all night to sleep in sick and blood etc.....what were thy thinking?

Sorry to hear you're still feeling weepy, hopefully this will pass for you soon.

Hope you feel better soon and take care of yourself!

Congrats again on the birth of little Jamie! :D

Sam xx

Wow thats quite a story!!! :shock: :shock:

Congrats and Well Done on coming through it and welcome 2 the world lil Jamie :D

Hopefully you'll feel better soon emotionally and with ur stitches.

Take care of yourself :D

Hayley xx

Don't mean to sound stupid but what is SPD ??

aw you poor thing! sound like you had quite an ordeal. But at least it is all over with and you and your little boy are safe and sound.

I think most women get quite emotional if they have a bad labour etc. It's just your body's way of dealing with it all. My health visitor told me that the whole process of having a baby is a huge huge life changing thing that you have to adjust to and it's understandable to feel overwhelmed, emotional and hormonal until things settle down to some sort of normality.

Don't feel bad if you need to cry - just let it all out and it might make you feel a little relieved :)

But well done it's sounds like you coped brilliantly xx

Blimey Nicki what a weight!!!!

Well you certainly went through every situation you could have in child birth!!

Glad you are ok now now, sit on a rubber ring, it does wonders!!

Welcome little Jamie

Congratulations Nicki and Dave :clap:

That is one birth story I won't forget - it's very similar to my sisters when she had Morgan - he was 9lb 12oz,and tore inside and out,they also left her lying around in blood and mucus!

I do hope you are feeling more like yourself now,you'll probably feel better when the stitches begin to heal - have you seen those gel pads that you can put in your pants to help cool and relieve the area - they're called feme pad,you can also get the breast pad ones here is the link to the site http://www.femepad.co.uk/ you may be able to get them cheaper if you look around.

Anyway,another huge congratulations,and well done!!

Bagpuss xx

hiya nicky
glad to hear little jamie arrived safely all be it in a very stressful way at least the two of you came through it together and i'm sure in a couple of weeks you will be feeling a lot better.
may heart goes out to you over being left on the bed i had the same thing happen with my last baby only it was my waters and blood for a couple of hours in the delivery suit. thats why i'm determined to have a home birth this time.
i know you probs dont wana talk bout it but do you know if it was the spd that caused the long delivery and pushing or do they think you were just lets say petite down there or baby's siz?
anyway i'm sure you dont need reminding that we all wish you the very best in the future with your nrew little one he is adorable, you are truly blessed, enjoy evey moment they soon grow up and dont feel bad if you need to cry its all part of being a new mum and your body getting back to normal, your midwife/health visitor should help with the breastfeeding if you need advice dont be embarased to ask thats what she's there for, beleive me it will be well worth it when you get the hang of it hun

oh btw little tip if you are finding it sore to pee cos of stitches try keeping a jug or cup in the bathroom and when you go loo pour cool water down there at the same time and it should dilute the acid in the urine and prevent as much stinging (a tip my midwife gave me on baby number 1)

(((HUGE CYBER HUGS)))
shell :D

Congrats on your new baby boy, I'm glad you got through it sounds like you had a hell of a time, But you have your beautiful baby now and it makes it all worth it.

Enjoy your new baby boy Hun,

Congrats to you and your family.

Congrats Nikki what a birth story

Take care Sarah x

Wow, that's one birth story! A big congratulations to you, and a big welcome to little Jamie :D

Congrats!! what a weight Ewan was 8lb and that was bad enough.

I was also left sitting in blood, crap and soaking sheets, so hubby tok me for a bath, where i almost fainted because room was so hot, hubby informed a nurse outside but no one checked me and just gave hubby a sick bowl! - i could have passed out in the bath. Anyway we returned to my bed thinking that they would have changed the sheets and cleaned up the pool of blood from where i had stood up, But no all was still there to see and i amlost passed out again, (it probably wasn't much blood but it looked like a masacre!) hubby went to have a go at my midwife an they were all stood chatting having a cup of tea...!! :evil:
I think i would have been treated better at the vets where i used to work.

Also doc stitched me up and continued stitching even though i pointed out that i could still feel what he was doing :evil: owww!

But congrats again - you do feel like john wayne for a while and sitting down is painfull!! i sympathise totally!!

gosh that sounded like hard work, hope your recovering well. I always get so emotional and teary when I read birth stories, it must bring back memories. Hope your feeling ok hun, the crying will stop probably just the baby blues, get plenty of rest or as much as your little one will let you have!

yay hes here, sounds a hard labour..
and what a big boy, i was told Harley would have been about 10lb if i went fullterm :shock:
glad you are both well.
x x x x

Blimey Nikki, sounds like you had a tough time of it, but Jamie is gorgeous and well worth all the agony. Hope you are feeling a bit better soon.

Congratulations Nicki

The tears will stop, took me a while to get over the birth and becoming a mum, had all sorts of emotions going through me.

I found putting a couple of drops of lavender oil and some tea tree oil in my bath helped to heal my bits, also dilute some tea tree oil and put in on your pad is really soothing and will help heal the bits.

Lucy x

hi

wow congradulations, 8 ounces more then Kiara :D
Katrina

You poor thing!!!!!! Sounds like what happened to me, wish I could have pushed lola out, your so brave, especially with him at that weight! Well Done hun! :D :D

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back