Is Obesity the new smoking?

Lou said:
Lou said:
Its true its not really safe for kids to play out anymore like when we were young but that just means that these days parents have to get off their arses and take their kids to the park to ride their bikes :roll:

Its just laziness :)

Hiya :wave: I've quoted myself so you can see that when I used the term 'Its just laziness' I was refering to parents who can't be arsed to take their kids to the park to ride their bikes. I just meant alot of kids wouldn't be sat indoors playing video games if they were taken out, thats all. I most definatley was NOT refering to overweight and obese people. I'm overweight and I am far from lazy. My Isaac would much rather be out riding his bike than watching cbeebies but obviously he can't take himself out, its my responsibility to make sure he gets exercise. I think my comment has been taken out of context. Sorry Jen and whoever else took it the wrong way :)

hiya hun. Just wanted to say you didn't offend me and my post was in response to the general attitude that is shown to people like my mum as opposed to anything specific you said. The "its just laziness" thing has been said to her and about her many times and it makes me mad but I realise that in your case it was said in general and not just about big people. I just wanted to get my point over that there is another side to the coin that the vast majority tend to overlook. :hug:

Jen & Her Men said:
Lou said:
Lou said:
Its true its not really safe for kids to play out anymore like when we were young but that just means that these days parents have to get off their arses and take their kids to the park to ride their bikes :roll:

Its just laziness :)

Hiya :wave: I've quoted myself so you can see that when I used the term 'Its just laziness' I was refering to parents who can't be arsed to take their kids to the park to ride their bikes. I just meant alot of kids wouldn't be sat indoors playing video games if they were taken out, thats all. I most definatley was NOT refering to overweight and obese people. I'm overweight and I am far from lazy. My Isaac would much rather be out riding his bike than watching cbeebies but obviously he can't take himself out, its my responsibility to make sure he gets exercise. I think my comment has been taken out of context. Sorry Jen and whoever else took it the wrong way :)

hiya hun. Just wanted to say you didn't offend me and my post was in response to the general attitude that is shown to people like my mum as opposed to anything specific you said. The "its just laziness" thing has been said to her and about her many times and it makes me mad but I realise that in your case it was said in general and not just about big people. I just wanted to get my point over that there is another side to the coin that the vast majority tend to overlook. :hug:

Sorted :hug:

jills10uk said:
I wish i lived somewhere that when i fancied a takeout, i could get a baked potato or a salad that was already made for me instead of a chip buttie :D
!

You can if you go to that SpudULike bit in the Flagship foodcourt, but any time I've went there they haven't washed their hands and there are always hairs in it,ew ew ew. The upside is there are no queues, everyone is over at the Burger King bit :lol: :lol:

Jen & Her Men said:
I agree completely that genetics are often used as an excuse by people for being big. I don't think anyone can blame genetics for being obese, I just believe that having a certain genetic make up can make you more prone to weight gain than for the standard person and it can also be harder to shift.

My point was that what gets to me is peoples attitudes that its just a simple case of not sticking certain food in your mouth anymore and you wont be fat. If it was that simple we wouldn't have the problem that we do.

Certain causes of overeating are as much an eating disorder as anorexia or bulimia, and can be just as life threatening, but they never get treated in the same way and sufferers are made to feel inferior and just get told to go on a diet and exercise more rather than addressing the underlying issues which cause them to over eat in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, the whole fast food life style is a major cause of obesity - tv dinners, increase in computer games etc. But these are not the only reasons and for some people the lack of understanding afforded to them by others who only see them as lazy contribute to their condition and can exacerbate it.

Absolutely spot on. Couldn't agree with you more. :clap:

zebrastripes said:
I don't think it's all genetics either. I have to admit, that excuse does annoy me. It irritates me when my friend, who is enormous, bangs on about his genes as he sits there munching the 3rd Dairy Milk of the day, after stopping off for his daily McDonalds breakfast.

Compulsive overeating, along with all the other eating disorders are addictions, and addictions have proven genetic links.

LucyBee said:
Jen & Her Men said:
I agree completely that genetics are often used as an excuse by people for being big. I don't think anyone can blame genetics for being obese, I just believe that having a certain genetic make up can make you more prone to weight gain than for the standard person and it can also be harder to shift.

My point was that what gets to me is peoples attitudes that its just a simple case of not sticking certain food in your mouth anymore and you wont be fat. If it was that simple we wouldn't have the problem that we do.

Certain causes of overeating are as much an eating disorder as anorexia or bulimia, and can be just as life threatening, but they never get treated in the same way and sufferers are made to feel inferior and just get told to go on a diet and exercise more rather than addressing the underlying issues which cause them to over eat in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, the whole fast food life style is a major cause of obesity - tv dinners, increase in computer games etc. But these are not the only reasons and for some people the lack of understanding afforded to them by others who only see them as lazy contribute to their condition and can exacerbate it.

Absolutely spot on. Couldn't agree with you more. :clap:

zebrastripes said:
I don't think it's all genetics either. I have to admit, that excuse does annoy me. It irritates me when my friend, who is enormous, bangs on about his genes as he sits there munching the 3rd Dairy Milk of the day, after stopping off for his daily McDonalds breakfast.

Compulsive overeating, along with all the other eating disorders are addictions, and addictions have proven genetic links.

True. But I've never really heard it used in that context, more "all my family are big" etc etc, it isn't related back to possible addiction issues

zebrastripes said:
True. But I've never really heard it used in that context, more "all my family are big" etc etc, it isn't related back to possible addiction issues

I think most people don't understand that it's an addiction and the 'all my family are big' etc. is an easier 'excuse'. I think you'd find that most overweight people have underlying issues/depressions that cause the eating and therefore the weight. The Western world has a lot to blame for that. For making people feel disatisfied with their lives and feel that they're not good enough. Depression is on the up and so are addictions as they're a way of 'coping' with depression. Obviously they don't fix the depression, they just turn in to a vicious circle of depression/eat/put on weight/depression/ea/put on more weight etc. Same with drink/drugs/gambling etc. Even internet use is a recognised addiction these days.

As for overweight children, it's tough. It's been shown that obese parents are more likely to have obese children and I would imagine that's because the parents eat for comfort and think children will be comforted by food in the same way.

I'm overweight big time and I always think twice before offering Tom food when he's whingey or crying. Just because that's what I do when I feel low doesn't mean that's what he needs to calm him or cheer him up.

:hug: :hug:

LucyBee said:
zebrastripes said:

I think most people don't understand that it's an addiction and the 'all my family are big' etc. is an easier 'excuse'. I think you'd find that most overweight people have underlying issues/depressions that cause the eating and therefore the weight. The Western world has a lot to blame for that. For making people feel disatisfied with their lives and feel that they're not good enough. Depression is on the up and so are addictions as they're a way of 'coping' with depression. Obviously they don't fix the depression, they just turn in to a vicious circle of depression/eat/put on weight/depression/ea/put on more weight etc. Same with drink/drugs/gambling etc. Even the internet is addictive these days.

As for overweight children, it's tough. It's been shown that obese parents are more likely to have obese children and I would imagine that's because the parents eat for comfort and think children will be comforted by food in the same way.

I'm overweight big time and I always think twice before offering Tom food when he's whingey or crying. Just because that's what I do when I feel low doesn't mean that's what he needs to calm him or cheer him up.

:hug: :hug:

When I was depressed many years ago I couldn't eat and was very thin but I know alot of people do use food as a comfort, or through boredom. At least you have the common sense to not give Tom comfort food :)

I expect alot of parents give their children whatever they eat, even if it is bad for them. We eat miles more healthy food since we had Isaac, I feel a huge responsibilty for Isaac's health and well being. I could never feed him badly and allow him to become obese through no fault of his own :( We ie me & Jed, control what goes in his mouth. Children don't do the food shopping and if you don't buy shite in the first place then its not in the cupboards for them to eat. Simple!

Totally agree Lou.

I still can't get over those women posting fish and chips through the school railings when their kids refused to eat Jamie Oliver's new healthy meals.

Why would you do that???? It's completely beyond me. It's not even as if it's a financial thing since they were paying for deep-fried food on top of the school meal.

Makes me mad. :evil:

LucyBee said:
Totally agree Lou.

I still can't get over those women posting fish and chips through the school railings when their kids refused to eat Jamie Oliver's new healthy meals.

Why would you do that???? It's completely beyond me. It's not even as if it's a financial thing since they were paying for deep-fried food on top of the school meal.

Makes me mad. :evil:

I think some people honestly don't give a toss what other people think to the point that even though they are doing something wrong and damaging, in this case feeding themselves and their kids unhealthy food, they won't stop and think to themselves 'hold on a minute that Jamie bloke has a point, maybe me and my kids should eat better', They just get angry and probably deep down quite ashamed and jump on the defensive.

I find it so hard to eat healthily - it is a struggle for me and a constant one at that. No idea where it came from as my family always had the traditional meat and veg dinners,and my mum was an excellent cook. As a child growing up in the 80's I did consume a load of junk food (the additives I must have consumed). I think part of it may have been down to the fact that I lost my mum at 14 and my dad had no clue how to feed us, bless him. We used to alternate - one night spaghetti with dolmio bolognese (all I could make) , the next Uncle Ben's swet and sour (my sisters contribution) and then the day after my dad made the stew thing with tinned veg and mince :puke: The rest of the time it was takeaways and ready meals. I can't remember learning anyhting of any real worth in Home Economics. I basically taught myself to cook (I feel so sorry for my poor Ex who lived with me for 4 years - well not that sorry as he was an arse) but still have to make myself eat breakfast. I was skinny growing up, but my body has changed and I am now a size 14 - a size I am not happy with but I haven't got the motivation to address. Yes I have got depression which causes me to comfort eat and binge but this in turn makes my depression worse as I hate the way I look.

However I do know that what I am doing is bad (how anyone could miss that with all the news coverage is beyond me) and I am dtermined not to let my children grow up with the same relationship with food I have.We always have breakfast, and because I did BLW I have got into the habit of cooking good homemade meals from scratch. I always wanted the girls to grow up thinking fruit was something you ate a lot of, and the fruit bowl is always full and they are allowed to help themselves (though Seren has already had 2 bananas and 2 apples today so I have to hide it now). Dinners are always served with veg or salad (though Kalia I never do with macaroni cheese either lol). This is something I have taught myself and as a result we are eating better - though I do still have a long way to go. The girls do have occasional treats (well Seren does, Cally is still too young IMO) but Seren will happily have a banana instead of a chocolate bar. Cally loves her veg and will search through her dinner to find her fave veg. I know I am probably sounding like a smug mum, but I do think as parents we have a responsibility to make sure our children have good eating habits and a knowledge about food - and the best way to do this is to lead by example.

I am overweight - just below the obese line I think.

I joke and say that i'm not overweight I'm under tall - I'm only 5 foot 1.

I'm not happy with my size. I was at my smallest just as Fi was conceived - I was exactly the top of the 'ideal' weight for my height! And since then the weight came on and stuck! Not an excuse but still.

I think it is easy to eat out of comfort and boredom and to eat junk because it's more readily available and easier to prepare.

I am determined for Fi to eat proper food and to learn to cook it too. I am trying my best and I hope that I will be able to set a good example for her.

I think that more should be done to help those who are obese teach there children how not to be - or how to cook or something.

A few members of my family are classed as overweight and whilst I wouldn't blame it on genes as such more on the fact that I was brought up on what they ate and how they ate and therefore i grew up thinking of it as the norm.

I would have loved cooking classes at school. All I remember making was cornflake cakes, choc shortbread and pizza. lol.

beanie said:
I find it so hard to eat healthily - it is a struggle for me and a constant one at that. No idea where it came from as my family always had the traditional meat and veg dinners,and my mum was an excellent cook. As a child growing up in the 80's I did consume a load of junk food (the additives I must have consumed). I think part of it may have been down to the fact that I lost my mum at 14 and my dad had no clue how to feed us, bless him. We used to alternate - one night spaghetti with dolmio bolognese (all I could make) , the next Uncle Ben's swet and sour (my sisters contribution) and then the day after my dad made the stew thing with tinned veg and mince :puke: The rest of the time it was takeaways and ready meals. I can't remember learning anyhting of any real worth in Home Economics. I basically taught myself to cook (I feel so sorry for my poor Ex who lived with me for 4 years - well not that sorry as he was an arse) but still have to make myself eat breakfast. I was skinny growing up, but my body has changed and I am now a size 14 - a size I am not happy with but I haven't got the motivation to address. Yes I have got depression which causes me to comfort eat and binge but this in turn makes my depression worse as I hate the way I look.

However I do know that what I am doing is bad (how anyone could miss that with all the news coverage is beyond me) and I am dtermined not to let my children grow up with the same relationship with food I have.We always have breakfast, and because I did BLW I have got into the habit of cooking good homemade meals from scratch. I always wanted the girls to grow up thinking fruit was something you ate a lot of, and the fruit bowl is always full and they are allowed to help themselves (though Seren has already had 2 bananas and 2 apples today so I have to hide it now). Dinners are always served with veg or salad (though Kalia I never do with macaroni cheese either lol). This is something I have taught myself and as a result we are eating better - though I do still have a long way to go. The girls do have occasional treats (well Seren does, Cally is still too young IMO) but Seren will happily have a banana instead of a chocolate bar. Cally loves her veg and will search through her dinner to find her fave veg. I know I am probably sounding like a smug mum, but I do think as parents we have a responsibility to make sure our children have good eating habits and a knowledge about food - and the best way to do this is to lead by example.

Knowing what needs to be done and actually doing it are 2 diferent things. Sorry to hear about your childhood, I had no idea, and its bound to effect you longterm but old habits can be broken, like you said all you need is motivation. I'd say let your kids be your motivation, you want to be around for them as long as possible so the healthier you are then the better it is for everyone! :) Depression is a horrible thing though and I know once its got a grip of you its hard to get motivated. Funny because we'd walk over broken glass for our kids, depression or not, but when it comes to us we'd rather put things off that need to be done and not think about it.

Suzie and Faith said:
I am overweight - just below the obese line I think.

I joke and say that i'm not overweight I'm under tall - I'm only 5 foot 1.

I'm not happy with my size. I was at my smallest just as Fi was conceived - I was exactly the top of the 'ideal' weight for my height! And since then the weight came on and stuck! Not an excuse but still.

I think it is easy to eat out of comfort and boredom and to eat junk because it's more readily available and easier to prepare.

I am determined for Fi to eat proper food and to learn to cook it too. I am trying my best and I hope that I will be able to set a good example for her.

I think that more should be done to help those who are obese teach there children how not to be - or how to cook or something.

A few members of my family are classed as overweight and whilst I wouldn't blame it on genes as such more on the fact that I was brought up on what they ate and how they ate and therefore i grew up thinking of it as the norm.

I would have loved cooking classes at school. All I remember making was cornflake cakes, choc shortbread and pizza. lol.

I'm not obese but I recently took a healthy eating cookery course at my local play centre. Isaac played in the creche while me and some other mums cooked a meal from scratch, then we all sat down and ate it together :)

There is help out there, its just knowing where to look for it I think :)

We have one of those places where Jamies found people who wana learn how to cook, you can come into the place and learn to cook a meal then you bring pther s to join in, I think Jamie comes in everynow and then as its the place where it all started, good old Rotherham. Im a shitty eater always have been, but im determined not to let Hope have the same insecurities as due to the things she eats, i wana teach her that eating helothy isnt always hard and doesnt have to taste like ming

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back