Is Obesity the new smoking?

Morganuk said:
What come to mind was the recent stabbings.

As a parent it makes you fearful for your kids.

Teenagers have never been so naughty as they are these days.

I am not fearful for Evie's life in regard to gang culture- if when she's 15 she decides to join a gang then I would be questioning my parenting.
The kids you see on the news being stabbed are (90% of the time) nasty little buggers who carry knives themselves.

When she gets to 8 or 9 then I will allow her to ride her bike up and down the street or play hopscotch on the pavement etc.

Being overweight and being OBESE are too different kettle of fish- my mum is overweight, as is my Dad. This is because they over eat and don't exercise that much- simple as. They choose not to change their lifestyles because they are old enough to make that decision; I don't think it's fair for a parent to decide that for your kids.

I have problems with my wieght- but the other way round- I am underweight; it has just as many health risks as being overweight but in todays culture it seems that being underweight is acceptable- I think that needs to be tackled too.

my dad weighs around 22stone last time he was weighed i think and is classes as morbidly obese.

however, according to the doctors he is a fit and healthy man. apart from being 22stone and around 5foot 6/7 there is nothing wrong with him. he's had so many tests done to see why is he is to heavy and why he cannot lose weight and they all come back fine; the doctor told him they could be the tests of a perfectly healthy 20 year old who exercised on a daily basis and weighed half of what he does.

i used to weigh 7stone 4 and at 5ft 2 my BMI was 18.7, if i had lost 2pounds i would have been classed as under weight. i admit i used to watch my weight, i was at school and i was bullied so i could control what i ate, i never however starved myself.

2years later i have put on a stone, as i stopped worrying about what i ate. i've not gone to eating junk 24/7, i still have my 5 a day etc. but if i want chocolate i have it, i've stopped at 8stone 4 for the past 8-10months

so i do think that genetics have alot to do with it in certain cases.

Jen & Her Men said:
I have to say It really gets to me when things like "its just laziness" is said about people being overweight. Its such a sweeping statement to make and really isn't true in a lot of cases.

My mum has struggled with her weight for pretty much all of her life. For her its a deep seated psychological issue and is now an addiction for her, like smoking is. She turns to food for comfort and its as much her enemy as it is her friend. Seeing the struggle she has with it everyday is heart breaking. She has been to so many slimming clubs over the years and is no where near lazy - she walks the dog every day, and runs around looking after my 2 brothers and taking them everywhere including outdoorsy stuff.

I think one of the main problems is that fat people are automatically labelled as lazy and somehow lesser citizens because of their weight. They are often mocked and scorned and its this that then makes them turn to food more and it becomes a vicious circle.

Although my mum is big she brought me and my brothers up with a healthy attitude towards food and although as a family we do have a tendency to gain weight, I think this is more to do with genetics than anything else. We are all active, enjoy sports and eat healthily. We certainly did not grow up on a diet of junk food or fast food.

I do think that in order to tackle the problem we do need to be a bit more understanding of the issues surrounding obesity and not just make sweeping judgements that because someone is fat that that automatically makes them lazy and greedy.

Hear, hear :clap: :)

pilkers said:
This is slightly off topic and I'm not directly this at you Kalia or you nori...it's just my opinion...

Isn't the case that children do not remember much from school because the vast majority of it isn't actually used in the "real world"?? I haven't ever had one instance in grown up life to need to use Pi or signs, cosigns and tangents...nor have I needed to know what x is if y equals x multiplied by 6... Maybe if children were taught things that they would need later on in life then things might stick in their heads better.

While I can't speak for England this is the way the curriculum (officially we don't have a prescribed curriculum, just guidelines) has been going for a while in Scotland. We teach healthy eating, unfortunately in primary we can't do much of the cooking side of things due to health and safety bureaucracy but it goes down to the basic elements of how to look after yourself and make healthy choices with regards to food and exercise. School dinners in our school are also cooked on site using only fresh ingredients and there is not a fryer in sight.

Unfortunately we can drum this into the kids as much as we can at school but at the end of the day there are 168 hours in a week and only 30 hours a week of that is spent in school during term time. Many of the kids I teach go home to their Xboxes and a Happy Meal for dinner.

pilkers said:
This is slightly off topic and I'm not directly this at you Kalia or you nori...it's just my opinion...

Isn't the case that children do not remember much from school because the vast majority of it isn't actually used in the "real world"?? I haven't ever had one instance in grown up life to need to use Pi or signs, cosigns and tangents...nor have I needed to know what x is if y equals x multiplied by 6... Maybe if children were taught things that they would need later on in life then things might stick in their heads better.

I completely agree! I teach langauges and have no idea why I teach a lot of what I do - what is the point in teaching 13 year olds to talk about their pets?!? Why don't we teach them something more relevant to themselves?

But this is exactly why teaching lifeskills in a curriculum cannot hope to be even slightly as effective as parents guiding and aiding their children. The vast majority of children don't cook at home and they don't do the food shopping so are not controlling the food in their house. Teaching healthy recipes will have little impact because they won't try to use them for many years. Teaching them that eating 5 portions of fruit and veg a day is all very well but if as adults we choose not to control our eating habits then our children will see the way we eat and consider it normal. And if there is little fruit or veg and a cupboard full of crisps that they are allowed to help themselves to it would be hard for them as children to find the willpower to make the healthy choice.

After leaving school I lived in France for a year, first of all with a French family and then on my own. Because of the timing of when I first started fending for myself I actually maintain more of the eating habits of the family I lived with in France than of my own parents. I am always shocked when my parents offer up a meal with little or no veg, I just wouldn't do that (except, oddly, for macaroni cheese. I can never be bothered making a salad with it).

I strongly believe that the message of healthy eating has to come from the home so I know I will have to change crisps and sweets for fruit or toast for snacks in the future. It will be good for me as well as DD if we are a family who live healthily.

I think the governments main role would be in making people aware of whar classes as over weight and what classes as obese. I was briefly obese and am now overweight and still trying to lose a lot more. I am 5'8" and I was obese and size 18, which is a common size readily available in shops. I imagine a lot of those people don't know they are obese and that there are such serious risks to their health, I would have thought a lot believe they are just overweight.

I am overweight because I have not put enough effort in to losing weight after DD was born. True, I am still in pain and the only exercises I can and should do are the ones from the physio, all involving lying down. But there is no need whatsoever to ever eat chocolate or crisps. I could eat healthily but choose not to. This is true for at least 90% of cases but many people will not take responsibility for their own health. A friend who hadn't seen me for 4 months commented that I had lost a lot of weight (10lbs, not really a lot given how much I need to lose but nevermind) and asked what I did to lose it. I made something plausible sounding about running around after DD (even though DD can't walk at all and I have problems with this too :roll: ) because I didn't know what else to say. OH summed it up nicely when he said to me later that he had nearly said 'she stopped eating so much chocolate' but then realised it would sound rude so didn't tell her the truth.

Yep, obesity is the new smoking, and set to be completely demonised by the government.

Look forward to parents being prosecuted when their kids tip the scales at school and
an extortionate 'fat tax' on your Big Mac. Give it a year or two...............

Jen & Her Men said:
I agree completely that genetics are often used as an excuse by people for being big. I don't think anyone can blame genetics for being obese, I just believe that having a certain genetic make up can make you more prone to weight gain than for the standard person and it can also be harder to shift.

My point was that what gets to me is peoples attitudes that its just a simple case of not sticking certain food in your mouth anymore and you wont be fat. If it was that simple we wouldn't have the problem that we do.

Certain causes of overeating are as much an eating disorder as anorexia or bulimia, and can be just as life threatening, but they never get treated in the same way and sufferers are made to feel inferior and just get told to go on a diet and exercise more rather than addressing the underlying issues which cause them to over eat in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, the whole fast food life style is a major cause of obesity - tv dinners, increase in computer games etc. But these are not the only reasons and for some people the lack of understanding afforded to them by others who only see them as lazy contribute to their condition and can exacerbate it.

Completely agree! :clap:

Morganuk said:
There is something called Over active thyroid that can make people gain weight.

I don't know to much about it though.

An underactive thyroid can make you gain weight more easily than the average person, also makes it very difficult to shift any excess weight. Trust me , I have one!

I think crap food is just so easily avalible these days. People have forgotten how to cook. Obesity is a result of a lot of things- whoever said it wasn't just a case of not eating certain foods- Jen I think? well that's right. If people can't cook, don't fully understand why they should eat healthily, don't have a good self image, or much money...

I don't think not having much money is much of an excuse in itself, but again, if people don't know how to buy things like vegetables on a budget...
There's certain knowledge that has simply been lost..
For instance, there's this image of working class people as fat slobs who are too poor and lazy to buy decent food- but my granny is as working class and uneducated as they come, yet she can still get decent veg and cook a simple healthy meal for next to nothing. however she's been brought up with what once was a universal knowledge, how to budget and properly nourish yuor family.

I don't think it's all genetics either. I have to admit, that excuse does annoy me. It irritates me when my friend, who is enormous, bangs on about his genes as he sits there munching the 3rd Dairy Milk of the day, after stopping off for his daily McDonalds breakfast.

I mean a bit of a baby tyre or a middle age spread is totally normal. Everyone has a different shape. What worries me most is the number of kids my age or a bit older, who are so much bigger than they should be.

I do think obesity is just as damaging as smoking. It stands to reason.

And I don't like the way things are demonised, because I do think a lot of the windblowing by the government comes to naught. there is a problem but it won'tbe solved by churning out more statistics.

What needs to be done is for decent HE lessons to be provided in all schools (compulsary until 5th year) with kids learning how to make simple,healthy meals, as well as being taught to budget for food. Also a proportion of agricultural land needs to be nationalised to provide local,avalible foods...there should be stricter advertising on junk food, especially for the under 16s...infact I don't think there should be any advertising geared towards under 16s but that's another story....

And as for those on benefits, i think the Healthy Start vouchers are on the right track...only a proportion of all benefits should be in voucher form, to buy loose fruit and veg, or milk

ZS...you honestly need to run for Prime minister :hug:

zebrastripes said:
:lol: :lol: but then people might take me seriously

Your so good at putting things across :)

The most knowledgeable lady on here :)

pilkers said:

I frequently come across situations where I can use Pi*, or sinus/cosinus or other mathematical functions, but a fiver says that most of my colleagues would make the same claims as you. The same colleagues can use Excel only to the extent of colouring in the cells in pretty colours and sometimes even type results from their calculators in by hand, rather than using the program, but hey, maths and its usage seems to be overrated...

What people are lacking is not only the basic maths skills (or the three Rs in general), but the imagination of how to use them. And more annoyingly, people seem to be proud of their lack of imagination and education.

Come to think of it, I should crosspost this into the pet-peeves thread.

*And just to give an example where I recently used Pi: I've been making a circular blanket with a drawstring to keep our Lego in, so that it can simply be tidied up by pulling the string and thereby making it into a bag. In order to get the lengths of string, I calculated diameter times Pi plus 10 cm extra for the knot. Definitely real life and couldn't have been done without Pi.

widowwadman said:
pilkers said:

I frequently come across situations where I can use Pi*, or sinus/cosinus or other mathematical functions, but a fiver says that most of my colleagues would make the same claims as you. The same colleagues can use Excel only to the extent of colouring in the cells in pretty colours and sometimes even type results from their calculators in by hand, rather than using the program, but hey, maths and its usage seems to be overrated...

What people are lacking is not only the basic maths skills (or the three Rs in general), but the imagination of how to use them. And more annoyingly, people seem to be proud of their lack of imagination and education.

Come to think of it, I should crosspost this into the pet-peeves thread.

*And just to give an example where I recently used Pi: I've been making a circular blanket with a drawstring to keep our Lego in, so that it can simply be tidied up by pulling the string and thereby making it into a bag. In order to get the lengths of string, I calculated diameter times Pi plus 10 cm extra for the knot. Definitely real life and couldn't have been done without Pi.

Crikey... a user of Pi!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

but a fiver says that most of my colleagues would make the same claims as you. The same colleagues can use Excel only to the extent of colouring in the cells in pretty colours and sometimes even type results from their calculators in by hand, rather than using the program, but hey, maths and its usage seems to be overrated...

and some of us can add up very well in our heads and have to do it as part of our living :wink: :hug: :hug:

pilkers said:
widowwadman said:
pilkers said:
and some of us can add up very well in our heads and have to do it as part of our living :wink: :hug: :hug:

Which is using maths, too. The point I was trying to make is, thatb people could make their calculations (and life) quite a bit easier if they were using the math they learnt at school and some imagination. You can also save a heck of a lot of time (=money) if not calculating everything in your head. The error margin is vastly reduced, too.

Its funny how a discussion on obesity turned into a very in depth discussion on mathematics.. :rotfl: I love it :) I've used Pi and equations in my everyday life. :) I use it even more now Tia's at an age where she needs help with her maths.

Btw, have people actually been prosecuted for child abuse for letting their kids be obese in the UK?? :shock: Bet that went down well :? Does this mean that people who smoke around kids need to be treated the same? I know the UK government have threatened not to treat smokers but what will happen (other than a lot of money being saved) if they decide not to treat if you are obese? Is that fair if they don't have a preexisting illness like Under active Thyroid?

Going in on the tube this morning, I sat opposite an enormous woman who munched her way through a pasty, a packet of chips and 2 bags of crisps in just 9 stops (and at breakfast time :puke: ). When she tried to stand up, she was wedged into the seat by the armrests :lol: and her friend had to give her a shove. As she got off, she was grumbling very loudly about her thyroid problem and how it had made her put on weight :rotfl: Funny how the people I know with (real) thyroid problems are so careful about what they eat!

Conversely, I get colleagues complaining enviously that I'm a size 8 and yet eat whatever I want, and when I point out that I've just cycled or run into work, they tell me I'm mad and that it's a weird thing to do... and besides, what I want to eat generally isn't what they want to eat!

As for not treating people who are obese, that exists already to a certain extent. A lot of patients are told that they have to lose weight before they can be treated - either because the chance of success is too low at their current weight (e.g. IVF...) or because the drugs are contraindicated. Obesity places an extra strain on the heart, and many drugs will cause the heart to beat at a slightly faster rate (just as having a cold will) - for some seriously obese patients, the risk of heart problems is greater than the risk of non-treatment.

i think all have made valid points, i think it is a lack of interest in food and cooking in general and the wide availability of junk that is making obesity a major problem. every shopping centre where i live has a food court which consists of a subway, KFC, Burger King. hmmmmmmm
and when you can't be bothered cooking you have indian, chinese, chipshop, pizza available.
I wish i lived somewhere that when i fancied a takeout, i could get a baked potato or a salad that was already made for me instead of a chip buttie :D
hopefully i can encourage my child to have an interest in cooking as he is growing up and will do my best to keep him off the sugar for as long as i can!

Morganuk said:
zebrastripes said:
:lol: :lol: but then people might take me seriously

Your so good at putting things across :)

The most knowledgeable lady on here :)
I have to agree, zebrastripes. For a 17 year old (18 year old if I'm off by some) you are the most mature and knowledgeable person I know. I wish I had students your age who acted half as mature as you.

For a 17 year old (18 year old if I'm off by some) you are the most mature and knowledgeable person I know.

I think you can safely leave off the "For a 17 year old (18 year old if I'm off by some)". Zebs is incredibly mature and knowledgeable regardless of age-group.

Lou said:
Its true its not really safe for kids to play out anymore like when we were young but that just means that these days parents have to get off their arses and take their kids to the park to ride their bikes :roll:

Its just laziness :)

Hiya :wave: I've quoted myself so you can see that when I used the term 'Its just laziness' I was refering to parents who can't be arsed to take their kids to the park to ride their bikes. I just meant alot of kids wouldn't be sat indoors playing video games if they were taken out, thats all. I most definatley was NOT refering to overweight and obese people. I'm overweight and I am far from lazy. My Isaac would much rather be out riding his bike than watching cbeebies but obviously he can't take himself out, its my responsibility to make sure he gets exercise. I think my comment has been taken out of context. Sorry Jen and whoever else took it the wrong way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back