interesting article: Controlled.crying

Lettie

Reaction score
Babies left to cry 'feel stressed', research finds

Babies left to cry by themselves experienced high levels of stress

Babies who are left to cry by themselves could feel ‘stressed’ even after they appear to settle, new research has suggested.

A study has found youngsters who are deliberately left to cry themselves to sleep eventually appeared to settle themselves without being comforted.

But, it found, their hormone levels showed they could remain just as ‘stressed’ by the experience as if they had remained crying.

The method, sometimes called ‘controlled crying’, has been a popular parenting choice, with some believing it trains babies to settle into a routine.

A study by Wendy Middlemiss, researched at the University of North Texas, has now examined the effect of the experience on children and their mothers.

Using babies aged four to ten months, her team monitored the levels of hormone cortisol as they were left to fall asleep without comfort from a carer.

Researchers measured the length of time they cried over successive nights, as their mothers waited in a nearby room.

By the third night of the study, infants were found to have cried for a shorter period of time before falling asleep.

But the study, published in the journal Early Human Development, found the levels of cortisol in their saliva remained high.

In mothers, who could hear their babies, the level of the hormone fell in accordance with the time spent crying, indicating they had relaxed as the youngsters appeared to settle.

The study found: "On the third day of the program, results showed that infants' physiological and behavioral responses were dissociated. They no longer expressed behavioral distress during the sleep transition but their cortisol levels were elevated."

Wendy Middlemiss told the Daily Mail: “Although the infants exhibited no behavioural cue that they were experiencing distress at the transition to sleep, they continued to experience high levels of physiological distress, as reflected in their cortisol scores.

“Overall, outward displays of internal stress were extinguished by sleep training.

“However, given the continued presence of distress, infants were not learning how to internally manage their experiences of stress and discomfort.”

Researchers are now undertaking a longer study to test how the hormone level is affected as sleep patterns settle over more time.

Dr Middlemiss is a member of the Attachment Parenting International Research Group, the Society for Research in Child Development, the National Council on Family Relations, and the American Psychological Association.

Siobhan Freegard, of the parenting advice website Netmums, told the Daily Mail: ‘I don’t think anybody would ever say that you shouldn’t use controlled crying – it is about getting the balance right.

I've never done controlled crying and never would. I was bullied into trying it and it broke my heart so much I stopped after two hours.

OH is pestering me every bloody night to let him cry. NO.

I did it and still do. We can't get our own way all the time so babies have to learn to plus my son was happy with it until my partners mum gave in and marded him still so i give up under minded with my parenting choices w

35 weeks pregnant. Team blue!

I can see why people do it, although we have never needed to, not sure I would be strong enough.

I would like to see the stress levels of babies who cry themselves to sleep even when held and those who fall asleep calmly to compare. This study is nothing without that comparison. K cries herself to sleep for daytime naps whether I hold her or not. After 14 weeks of putting her in a wrap to nap because I didn't want to let her cry, I started putting her in her cot awake (if I let her cry in my arms to fall asleep, she just wakes up when I put her down and the whole thing starts over). Obviously if she cries more than her regular falling asleep cry, I pick here up. After three days she started going down for naps easily and cries less than she did when I put her in the wrap. She naps longer and wakes up happy. I just think this study makes moms feel bad if they have a baby who cries a lot.

Last edited:
I don't think babies.crying is the issue, I think its the leaving then to cry.alone that they.are researching. F will.cry.quite often before.she falls asleep whether she's.held or.in her.cot so I put her down but I hope.the fact I'm beside her when.she's.crying helps her as opposed to if I just.walked out the room.and left.her, which is.what they.did in the study. It's a tricky one, i admit.I've been momentarally.tempted but its often the case.when I feel I'm getting a bit cross.its always.then she conks out LOL

The issue I have with this is the age of the babies used 4-10 months is too young!
Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

At the risk of sounding like a bad mum I think you have to let then cry sometimes, not for long or anything. I used to go to Charlie with every noise he made and would worry and have a million things to do, and it would stress me out making him stressed too. He only really grizzles in bed for a while and I leave him to it and he usually falls asleep, I don't see the harm in it and it stops me stressing out. Plus he needs to learn now that I have another one due in December! X

I was never a fan of CC until E got the stage where she would scream and fight all her naps and night sleeps even when being held. We really had no other choice as we tried everything we could think of. I don't think she is stressed when she sleeps now, I always see a little smile on her face shortly after she falls asleep.

Last edited:
I would like to see the stress levels of babies who cry themselves to sleep even when held and those who fall asleep calmly to compare. This study is nothing without that comparison. K cries herself to sleep for daytime naps whether I hold her or not. After 14 weeks of putting her in a wrap to nap because I didn't want to let her cry, I started putting her in her cot awake (if I let her cry in my arms to fall asleep, she just wakes up when I put her down and the whole thing starts over). Obviously if she cries more than her regular falling asleep cry, I pick here up. After three days she started going down for naps easily and cries less than she did when I put her in the wrap. She naps longer and wakes up happy. I just think this study makes moms feel bad if they have a baby who cries a lot.

Yeah. It doesn't seem to mention the levels in babies who go to sleep any other way. I don't like study's like that, there's not control. Xxx

Yeah.....not a fair study really. Hannah always cries when she is fighting daytime naps. She is clearly shattered and crying cos she is tired but won't give in. She cries whether we rock her to sleep on our arms or she is in her basket. We only leave her if we know it's a tired cry and for a maximum of about a minute. To be honest she tends to nap for longer and more soundly if she does self settle in her basket rather than in our arms. I would nfver let her cry in distress but I can tell when it's a tired 'I want to sleep but I'm fighting it' cry x

Yeah. It doesn't seem to mention the levels in babies who go to sleep any other way. I don't like study's like that, there's not control. Xxx

Exactly! It also appears that the study only lasted 3 days. I just don't think it is a well done study. They knew the answer they wanted before they did it, and left out anything that would force them to change that answer. Xx

I'll let sophie have a moan but I'll not sit there while she's full on screaming. In an afternoon she will always have a whine and if I put her on the bed and lie next to her she will whine for a little bit and then next minute she's asleep. She doesn't seem overly stressed, just grouchy!

When she's overtired she will always have a cry before she goes to sleep even when I have hold of her so I keep on with the bum patting.

I agree that the study of 4-10 months is too young. What do you do with babies over 1+ when they are throwing tantrums about going to bed?

I'm assuming the age range is because of the 6month thing they say controlled crying is suitable from - so its showing just either side of that.

Is it really bad that it makes me think of the spcc(??) advert where it shows the little neglected boy who 'doesn't cry because he knows no-one will come'
Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I agree that the study has flaws but also hate cc. To say that babies need to learn they can't always get their way is such rubbish. A baby can't reason & can't learn a lesson like that, that's a lesson for a much older child. A baby will just feel abandoned, alone, scared & stressed out. Yesterday I went to the docs with Isaac in the pram, he was tired but the pram wasn't getting him to sleep & on the way home he started crying & eventually went nuts. I tried to sooth him & picked him up, when I cuddled him he calmed down but I had to put him back in the pram as I didn't want him to get sunburnt & also was struggling to push the pram & carry him. I just paced it home & was almost in tears too when I got there! He was red & shaking & coughing & obviously very stressed, it took him ages to calm down & he was grotty for the rest of the day. I've never left him to cry like that before & I hope I'll never have to again, it went against all my instincts & was awful to see how panicked & upset a baby can get. Hate it!

yeah, there is a marked difference in a whinging baby thats just tired and fighting it and a baby thats upset and getting distressed. i shudder to think that anyone would leave their child to scream their head off and get that worked up without soothing them. older children have a lot more reasoning powers and so it would work on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back