Induction Experiences

strongminded

Reaction score
Hi all. I am being induced on the 28th of September i will be 38.5weeks. Being a first time mum i don't know what to expect. I am looking for any advice and induction experiences to mentally prepare myself as i am feeling rather anxious

There's a thread a bit further down the page on induction experiences sweetie xx

Take stuff to keep you occupied. Snacks. Drinks. Comfy clothes. Be prepared you could be there for a couple days minimum. You just can't predict how long it'll take.

Personal experience was awful. Sorry to scare you lol I was 37 weeks with a bishops score of 0. After 4 days, two pessaries, 14 hours of awful contractions on the drip I was then taken for a section. Still only 1-2 and baby's heart rate kept dropping (happens regularly on the drip)
Be prepared that a section may be needed if your not ready.
Personally I would let them check you over. If your bishops score isn't high enough then I would just book in for a section because the chances are you will end up with one anyway. If you have a decent bishops score (cervix is open, slightly dilated etc) then you have a good chance of induction working and it actually working quite quickly xx

I agree with Slb- if you have a low bishops score and your cervix is not favorable then your body will resist the induction hard and you will likely put your body and baby under unnecessary stress by trying to force something that is not going to happen. But if things are already starting to move in the right direction then the induction will have a much higher chance of working. Also a planned csection (I've heard) comes with a much easier recovery than an emergency one after a failed induction.

Good luck!!

Personal experience was awful. Sorry to scare you lol I was 37 weeks with a bishops score of 0. After 4 days, two pessaries, 14 hours of awful contractions on the drip I was then taken for a section. Still only 1-2 and baby's heart rate kept dropping (happens regularly on the drip)
Be prepared that a section may be needed if your not ready.
Personally I would let them check you over. If your bishops score isn't high enough then I would just book in for a section because the chances are you will end up with one anyway. If you have a decent bishops score (cervix is open, slightly dilated etc) then you have a good chance of induction working and it actually working quite quickly xx

Thanks slb i didnt even know what a bishops score is until i googled it lol so i am glad i started this post. I am due to see the midwife on the 23rd for a membrane sweep i will ask her for the score. I really dont want to have a long induction and end up wih a section. I am already terrified of needles and getting anxious as the days go by.

I'm sorry Hun. I know it's scary. But I was totally unprepared. They didn't bother to tell me what a bishops score was or that I had 0 chance of having my daughter naturally. They tried everything to force my daughter out (including a midwife pushing my baby/bump down to lower my waters so they could be broken - I now know that's dangerous as the cord can sometimes come first). The whole process was very painful and unnecessary as they could have just told me the truth and took me for a planned section. (Which would have been relaxing compared and less stressful)

Also I've since learned that if you are having a section before 39/40 weeks you should have steroid injections to help baby's lungs (I wasn't offered) so if you have a low bishops score/chance of section/planned section then discuss it with your midwife .

I hope everything goes well for you. And you have a decent score so are able to have baby naturally.
But i would discuss all the above with your midwife and make sure you make an informed choice.

I only wish someone had told me everything before I agreed to be induced.

I am completely refusing to be induced this time. If baby doesn't come naturally then I've already spoke to my consultant and they will book me in for a section

Good luck xx

I'm sorry Hun. I know it's scary. But I was totally unprepared. They didn't bother to tell me what a bishops score was or that I had 0 chance of having my daughter naturally. They tried everything to force my daughter out (including a midwife pushing my baby/bump down to lower my waters so they could be broken - I now know that's dangerous as the cord can sometimes come first). The whole process was very painful and unnecessary as they could have just told me the truth and took me for a planned section. (Which would have been relaxing compared and less stressful)

Also I've since learned that if you are having a section before 39/40 weeks you should have steroid injections to help baby's lungs (I wasn't offered) so if you have a low bishops score/chance of section/planned section then discuss it with your midwife .

I hope everything goes well for you. And you have a decent score so are able to have baby naturally.
But i would discuss all the above with your midwife and make sure you make an informed choice.

I only wish someone had told me everything before I agreed to be induced.

I am completely refusing to be induced this time. If baby doesn't come naturally then I've already spoke to my consultant and they will book me in for a section

Good luck xx

Thanks for all the info slb i certainly will be asking the midwife. I hope too that i have a decent bishops score and have baby naturally however if not i would rather have a planned c section. They dont give you all this information and i think she should especially to first time mums.

I had an induction with my first.

Went into hospital 8th January got into my room. Examined and put on trace. Then first pessary at 4pm no joy. Second in at 8pm. Contractions started about 9pm. Felt like a dull cramp. A shower brought them on. Had some diamorphine went for a sleep. I woke at 0230 at 5cm, waters went and we were off to delivery. OH got there for 0330 and Jackson was born 0427. We got home the following day.

Not all inductions are scary. My cervix was totally non favourable before. I was 14 days over with a couple failed sweeps but other than that I had a pretty natural labour. Total lasting about 7hr.

Best of luck!!

xxxx

I've never heard of a bishops score but I was induced I was given first pessary at 11am by 1230 I was 4cm dilated water broke on their own. By midnight I was fully dilated I had an epidural because of high blood pressure and it didn't work one side went numb in the end was given a spinal tap and I was cut open and forceps used as baby decided to go back to back x

I've never heard of a bishops score either. I'm being induced next week at 38+4 and had a membrain sweep yesterday. Doctor said my cervix was very soft but still quite long? She said she could get 1 finger in and could feel my waters? What would this mean?

I've never heard of a bishops score either. I'm being induced next week at 38+4 and had a membrain sweep yesterday. Doctor said my cervix was very soft but still quite long? She said she could get 1 finger in and could feel my waters? What would this mean?

I think it's good news that your cervix is soft. Not sure if it means you are perhaps 1cm dialatted? I am having my sweep on Friday. Does it hurt

I've started having my show since the sweep. Its not agony but really uncomfy x

I've started having my show since the sweep. Its not agony but really uncomfy x

Hi Lil miss lee when are you going in for your induction? I am going in on Wednesday 28th. I had a membrane sweep but i wasnt dialatted at all and havent had any show or any pains since. Really hope i react quickly to the induction meds.

All the best with your induction

I am going in on Tuesday. I've had a lot of show but no baby ha ha. I'm scared its gonna take days xx

I am going in on Tuesday. I've had a lot of show but no baby ha ha. I'm scared its gonna take days xx

Oh you are going in a day before me. I am so nervous..is this your first baby? Its my first. Lucky you having had your show i havent had anything since my sweep. Let me know how you get on. All the best x x

No hun this is my 4th baby lol. Thank u and I hope everything goes as best as it can xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back