I will not give my baby formula!!!!!!!

cosmicgirl

Reaction score
We have been bf well now for 4 weeks. There has been soreness and an issue with some damage to one of my nipples but on the whole, nothing biting on a towel can't cure!
Anyway, yesterday baby decided he wanted to be on the breast ALL day!! I mean constantly. I know this can happen from time to time but I was exhausted. I couldn't move from him all day and I ended up getting really snappy. At which point oh chimes in "shall I go and get some formula for tonight?". Well this made me erupt.
He knows my views on formula and that I don't want any of my children to have it. I ended up screaming at him that if he ever mentioned it again I wouldn't be held responsible.
Then my mother says the same thing later that night!! I wanted to explode!
I told the pair of them where they could stick their suggestions and felt better for it.
What I needed was support, someone to get me a drink maybe or just some words of support not "when the going gets tough, give formula"!!!
Anyway, baby slept well through the night and has fed 3 hourly today thank god. Which led oh to admit that I was right and correct not to give formula.
Mother knows best ;) x

Mother definitely knows best Hun and you are doing so well! It's blooming hard work when they feed constantly and the lack of sleep doesn't help!

As for husbands being less than supportive I can empathise. Hubby was supportive to a point but anything past that point he didn't understand why I was adamant that I would not use formula. I just wish I could have managed to verbalise why I was so determined. Xx

Well done you! I am the same my little boy is now nearly 14 weeks n for the most part iv suffered from thrush it's so painful but I'm being so stubborn about it and it will not win!!!
Just wish it would bugger off I'm on tablets n my sons on drops but it appears to be as stubborn as me!
Lol @ biting on a towel totally know how u feel xxx

It's so draining swell. I don't think men get that. I think they think you are just having a rest..and you have other children to look after too! Well done for sticking to your guns, xx

That's what got to me, they don't understand! I've persevered with bleeding nips and agonising pain to get to this point and he just thinks I can throw the towel in after all my hard work!!
He doesn't know me at all (at least that's how it felt).
I needed support, encouragement, anything.
He's usually so good and I know he meant well but he also knows how I feel about formula, I don't get it x

I know how you feel.

Because Aaron won't latch on everyone thinks I'm making my life hard by expressing and bottle feeding. People keep suggesting using formula and it bugs me.

I don't have anything majorly against formula but if I can give Aaron my milk I will!

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

It's not good is it tweety, I'm sure men think we bf for fun, no, it's because it's best for my child!
I actually roared at him (possibly due to tiredness I suppose).
I do have major issues with formula, I would never let any of it pass my children's lips (but I won't got into that here) but oh knows this - that's partly what got on my nerves x

You're doing so well!! All you want is him to support you through it! We're all here to support you and you're doing brilliantly hun!!

Thanks sassy, I know I can always find the support here :friends:
I just needed him to say "keep going, you're doing so well"
Men eh ;) xx

They just don't get it!! I remember being in tears as I was in pain and he was feeding loads and hubby said it was ok to give formula (which I know it is but I didn't want to) I gave it for one feed and I sat and cried in the other room as I felt like a failure. But it just made me even more determined to keep going as didn't want to feel like that. We've just reached 14 months and still going. You're doing brilliantly and you know they feed so much at the start to get your supply going. Hopefully your oh will be more understanding now :hugs:

Well done sweetheart!

Chin up, as I'm sure you know you are very close to it all settling down and becoming a doddle.

Hang in there.... And kick your oh in the nuts next time ;)

They just don't get it!! I remember being in tears as I was in pain and he was feeding loads and hubby said it was ok to give formula (which I know it is but I didn't want to) I gave it for one feed and I sat and cried in the other room as I felt like a failure. But it just made me even more determined to keep going as didn't want to feel like that. We've just reached 14 months and still going. You're doing brilliantly and you know they feed so much at the start to get your supply going. Hopefully your oh will be more understanding now :hugs:

Thanks hun, and well done to you too, it's such an achievement to bf.
I don't think oh will mention formula again, his ears are probably still ringing lol x

Well done sweetheart!

Chin up, as I'm sure you know you are very close to it all settling down and becoming a doddle.

Hang in there.... And kick your oh in the nuts next time ;)

Hahaha his nuts came dangerously close to a beating ;) x

WEll done you!!
I think it is the only way they can see of helping when the tough gets rough... DH suggested that to me and didn't get the best of responses either.... he got it too when he suggested a dummy :wall2:

Don't get me started on dummies!!! My oh wouldn't dare suggest a dummy lol xx

Well done cos :) bet your supply is gonna be boosted from yesterday, have some choc to celebrate ;) xxx

Well done cos :) bet your supply is gonna be boosted from yesterday, have some choc to celebrate ;) xxx

You'd think so wouldn't you but for the majority of the day I felt like he was sucking on saggy, loose, flappy and empty boobs??? Like they weren't filling very quickly??? I then thought that this was why he was feeding so often??? xx

Don't they go like that when your supply is going to boost? I do remember mine going like that for a while, shortly before they ended up like milky cannon-balls :oooo: x

You'd think so wouldn't you but for the majority of the day I felt like he was sucking on saggy, loose, flappy and empty boobs??? Like they weren't filling very quickly??? I then thought that this was why he was feeding so often??? xx

I had major panics at about 4 months cos I never felt I had enough milk and felt like my boobs weren't full but he was still feeding and putting on weight. I think once your supply is established they never feel full, and if lo was feeding a lot it could boost your supply over the next few days. If you are worries you can feed lo for 5 mins on each side then keep switching but only for a day- this can boost supply but prevent mastitis etc which you could get if you did it long term.
Don't panic, as long as there's plenty of wet and dirty nappies and they're putting on weight they are getting enough xx

Don't they go like that when your supply is going to boost? I do remember mine going like that for a while, shortly before they ended up like milky cannon-balls :oooo: x

I'm hoping so!
With the twins they were constantly floppy but I thought it would be a lot longer before they went soft this time x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back